ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help understanding measurement  (Read 1626 times)

Carl Townshend

Help understanding measurement
« on: January 20, 2021, 04:53:28 AM »

Hi All
I am starting to learn how to use smart to time align and look at phase in my car.
I took a trace from the midbass and mid speaker, the acoustic crossover is around 130hz.
Red is midrange, pink is midbass
Looking at the below traces am I right in saying they are in phase, but the red one is arriving later, so I would need to reduce delay on it?
See attachment
Cheers

Michael Lawrence

Re: Help understanding measurement
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 11:46:01 AM »

Hi All
I am starting to learn how to use smart to time align and look at phase in my car.
I took a trace from the midbass and mid speaker, the acoustic crossover is around 130hz.
Red is midrange, pink is midbass
Looking at the below traces am I right in saying they are in phase, but the red one is arriving later, so I would need to reduce delay on it?
See attachment
Cheers

Carl -

Time alignment is all about managing interaction, and these two systems (midbass and midrange) are going to be most interactive throughout the frequency range where they are equal in level. That is the range where you want to focus on their phase relationship. The magnitude trace tells the story there.

So, phase data by itself is not enough context to answer the question - that is why the default transfer function view gives you all the context that it does: phase, magnitude, coherence, and impulse response all tell important parts of the story.

It seems that the midrange (red) is arriving before the mid bass (pink) but again, we are lacking context here as to making a decision based on the available data.

I can recommend taking a spin through the free webinar series on the Rational Acoustics youtube channel to get more of a feel for transfer function measurement theory in general, or feel free to reach out to [email protected] and we can help you that way.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 11:55:38 AM by Michael Lawrence »
Lead Instructor / Smaart SPL Product Manager - Rational Acoustics
Technical Editor - ProSoundWeb.com
Freelance Systems Engineer

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Help understanding measurement
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 11:46:01 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.