ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need snake for Alesis Strike Pro Drums  (Read 5014 times)

John P. Whiteker

Need snake for Alesis Strike Pro Drums
« on: January 19, 2021, 08:12:50 PM »

We just purchased this Alesis Strike Pro electronic drum kit. It has 8- 1/4" TRS outputs. I need a snake to go from the kit to the xlr stage box. Will this work? I still have a hard time with balanced vs unbalanced. I think thisnis what I need.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IACDW7I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_0-3bGbXQPBYY1?psc=1
Behringer X32
Crown XTI power amps 4002 for mains & 6002 for subs
JBL J-Arry mains
JBL Subs

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Need snake for Alesis Strike Pro Drums
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 11:36:39 PM »

We just purchased this Alesis Strike Pro electronic drum kit. It has 8- 1/4" TRS outputs. I need a snake to go from the kit to the xlr stage box. Will this work? I still have a hard time with balanced vs unbalanced. I think thisnis what I need.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IACDW7I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_0-3bGbXQPBYY1?psc=1

I just took a quick look at the drum control module, it looks like the outputs are TRS balanced so that cable you linked to or one like it should work, however..............

It will provide no electrical isolation between the drum module and the sound system so hum or buzz could be a problem.
Also with no isolation such as a direct box transformer if phantom power is applied to any of those drum channels the phantom power will be sent directly to the output of the module.
That could cause an issue at some point or not!

With any use at all the cable you linked to will fall apart in no time.
26ga wire using knock off connectors, I would give it a month till at least one channel is dead.
There's a  50 50 chance some of the xlr connectors would get stuck in the XLR mating jack.
As well as a 50 50 chance that the XLR connectors are wired with pin 1 tied to the shell of the connector like I have seen on quite a few budget XLR cable. That can cause all kinds of noise and buzz issues.

Whirlwind, Rapco, CBI  all have that same style cable that would be heavy duty and last.
Whirlwind also has four channel direct boxes.

Hard wired straight through cables may work fine, if you go that direction at least get a heavy duty cable set.

Going back to the possible hum and noise issue with a straight through cable, if you have noise issues on a channel or channels there's a chance that a pin 1 lift at the xlr connector could take care of it or make it much worse and then your back to needing the DI boxes.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 09:30:10 AM by Mike Caldwell »

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 01:08:43 AM »

Everything Mike said above is spot on. Using 8 DI's with associated high quality cable is the "right", fool-proof way to do this. But I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess you really don't want double the cost of the drum kit just to get it connected to the snake.

That being said, the 35 dollar 1/4" to XLR snakes are going to cost you more in the long run for all the reasons Mike listed. If it were me, I'd go with something from one of the makers Mike listed, or barring that look for a snake in the 100-ish dollar range that lists name brand components. And then, again if it were me, I'd go ahead and disconnect PIN 1 on all 8 channels [with a soldering iron in the XLR connector, folding it back so I could reconnect it later if I wished] because that will solve the Phantom power issue and will "probably" at the very least not HURT you on the hum or noise front. To me, that's the best most economical long term solution.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

John P. Whiteker

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 10:16:29 AM »

Thank you guys so much.  You really just confirmed exactly where my mind went.  I knew from reading in the past that this was not a really good idea.  In fact, I was surprised to find such a thing being manufactured.  I do wish there was an affordable 8 ch. DI out there to go with this set.  I feel like that would be a much better option with less chance for noise and ground issues in the system, especially going 20 ft. I hope it will last us until we can get better isolation.  You guys rock.  I really appreciate the input.  BTW, if anyone is considering hybrid electronic drums, this set from Alesis sounds better than I had even anticipated.  I can't speak to longevity as we've just received it, but the features blow me away.  The cymbals even die out like real ones when you grab them after striking.  I am impressed!  I'll try to chime back in this weekend after we give this snake a test drive and update everyone with our experience with it.
Behringer X32
Crown XTI power amps 4002 for mains & 6002 for subs
JBL J-Arry mains
JBL Subs

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 11:36:02 AM »

Two of these,
https://www.audiopile.net/FDB-404

One of these,
https://www.audiopile.net/MTPS-8

And one of these if you need it to get to the snake head.
https://www.audiopile.net/MTFM-8

Audiopile sells excellently built and designed gear at really good prices. Yes it's made overseas's but it is sold and QC'd here by a member of this very forum.  They've also been doing this a very long time with a sterling reputation.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 11:56:46 AM »

The EWI Audiopile equipment would be a good alternative.

Though for the 1/4 inch patch cable I would go with TS connectors when going into a Di box.
The TS connector will tie the negative line to ground at the drum module that some equipment
wants to see when driving an unbalanced input.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 12:33:55 PM »

The EWI Audiopile equipment would be a good alternative.

Though for the 1/4 inch patch cable I would go with TS connectors when going into a Di box.
The TS connector will tie the negative line to ground at the drum module that some equipment
wants to see when driving an unbalanced input.

Correct. I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet. You want TS from the module to the DI.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 12:39:54 PM »

Behringer makes an 8 channel DI for not much money. No promises on reliability there, but it is cheap.

I personally wouldn't go cheaper than a Radial DI pro per channel, but I have seen gear go down from accidentally getting phantom when there were cheater cables and the Behringer would at least protect you.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 03:07:19 PM »

Thank you guys so much.  You really just confirmed exactly where my mind went.  I knew from reading in the past that this was not a really good idea.  In fact, I was surprised to find such a thing being manufactured.  I do wish there was an affordable 8 ch. DI out there to go with this set.  I feel like that would be a much better option with less chance for noise and ground issues in the system, especially going 20 ft. I hope it will last us until we can get better isolation.  You guys rock.  I really appreciate the input.  BTW, if anyone is considering hybrid electronic drums, this set from Alesis sounds better than I had even anticipated.  I can't speak to longevity as we've just received it, but the features blow me away.  The cymbals even die out like real ones when you grab them after striking.  I am impressed!  I'll try to chime back in this weekend after we give this snake a test drive and update everyone with our experience with it.

I've been eyeing this drum kit for my own personal amusement for quite some time, so this is all great to know.

It's a shame that Christmas just ended...  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 03:37:12 AM »

To ensure cable longevity and premature connector failure on the drum brain make sure to relieve the strain on the cables by strapping/velcro them to the cage.

If this is a fairly permanent setup you can also build your own patch point by using an 8-xlr inline housing to male trs and strap that to the cage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 03:37:12 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.