ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Can anyone ID these speakers?  (Read 1267 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Can anyone ID these speakers?
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 11:31:10 am »

Yes I have discussed that with their Tech. I don't see any advantage in this situation to go stereo so an aux fed sub would be a good use for the extra input.
They do have plans and apparently budget approval to replace the speaker system as well as the monitors but he does not know how soon. (How they have budget approval without any idea of what they are going to replace things with is beyond me but...) If it is within the next month we likely wont touch anything. Longer than that we may go ahead and make some changes.

Any idea what there looking as a replacement?

The speakers they have look like and kind of are big ugly speakers but if they are all working good
just putting up a smaller friendly looking speaker could be big step backwards in performance.

You said there were comments on how things sounded better with the 260, with some further refinement in the DSP setup it may sound like a new system.

It wouldn't be the first time a good system was thrown out just for the sake of change when what really was needed was just a system tune up.

Jeff M Hague

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 11:53:14 am »

Any idea what there looking as a replacement?

The speakers they have look like and kind of are big ugly speakers but if they are all working good
just putting up a smaller friendly looking speaker could be big step backwards in performance.

You said there were comments on how things sounded better with the 260, with some further refinement in the DSP setup it may sound like a new system.

It wouldn't be the first time a good system was thrown out just for the sake of change when what really was needed was just a system tune up.

My understanding is the Top Pastor doesn't like how the system looks (and it is not that aesthetic really). He wants a line array like many of the other churches. The Tech is interested in Nexo bc there is an outdoor municipal venue that has Nexo and he has mixed on it quite a bit. I think it is the only line array he has mixed on. I agree that Nexo is a nice bit of kit but we haven't started looking at specifics just yet.
The room could just as easily work with point source though. It isn't all that big - maybe holds 800 1000 max? And it is wider than it is deep (and wider at the back than the front) with no balcony or raked floor. It is also very tame acoustically - no heavy reverb, no noticeable standing waves that I have heard, no slap off the back wall.
I have rocked similar rooms with a pair of JBL SR4732s over 4719s tbh.
Jeff

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 12:01:45 pm »

AS-series is good stuff.  I retuned a 600 cap church two years ago with AS mains, JF fills with LA subs, still a good system 15 or something years after it was installed.
If they decide to upgrade and wish to stick with EAW, QX5 would be my first choice. Installed a few systems, never had any complaints.

Jeff M Hague

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 12:51:56 pm »

AS-series is good stuff.  I retuned a 600 cap church two years ago with AS mains, JF fills with LA subs, still a good system 15 or something years after it was installed.
If they decide to upgrade and wish to stick with EAW, QX5 would be my first choice. Installed a few systems, never had any complaints.

The EAW QX stuff looks very interesting - thanks!
Jeff

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 01:11:15 pm »

I installed 4 ASR speakers with 2 speakers on each side with an ASR 660 on top with an ASR 690 underneath. I used an XTA DP226 DSP. The top speaker was aimed at the balcony and the bottom one to the main floor and we also had under balcony fills. The recommended settings are probably available on EAWs web site or if you send me a PM with your email address I will send you what I have. They sounded very good, the dual 12-inwoofers are separated vertically to create a dipolar array, giving a directionality to them.

I like line array speakers when it is called for and it really bothers me when people waste the money putting them in where they are not called for. And of course they are usually putting in a very inferior speaker system because they could never afford a line array that would work properly in the room. The funny thing with the EAW ASR speakers hung the way we did was some people though it was a line array because the bottom one was hung from the top one. We bought then in plain wood and had them custom stained to match the wood in the room. They were big but no one complained because they sounded so good. And they match the interior of the church.

The sanctuary that they were in was torn down a few years ago and a new one was built in its place. It is a much different room then the old one. I have no idea what happened to the ASR speakers or a whole lot of the other gear. Their sound guy came down with early onset Alzheimer's and I donít think he knows what he did with stuff.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 01:11:15 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.