ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Can anyone ID these speakers?  (Read 1122 times)

Jeff M Hague

Can anyone ID these speakers?
« on: January 14, 2021, 01:07:52 pm »

These are the mains from the earlier post asking about DSP replacements.
No one at the church knows what they are and no paperwork from the original install exists.
All  I know is they are EAW. Looks like either d12 or possibly d15 lows, 6" horn loaded mid and maybe a 2" high on a CD lens. Because of their age I am guessing they are loaded with JBL drivers. There is a passive crossover between the mid and high so the box is essentially 2way as far as the DSP is concerned.
Does anyone know what model these are so I can get a better idea of where to start with crossover settings?
Thanks!

Jeff

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Can anyone ID these speakers?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 05:08:44 pm »

No one at the church knows what they are and no paperwork from the original install exists.
All  I know is they are EAW. Looks like either d12 or possibly d15 lows, 6" horn loaded mid and maybe a 2" high on a CD lens. Because of their age I am guessing they are loaded with JBL drivers. There is a passive crossover between the mid and high so the box is essentially 2way as far as the DSP is concerned.
Does anyone know what model these are so I can get a better idea of where to start with crossover settings?
Thanks!

If they are what I think they are, they sound pretty darn good in passive mode.  We pulled one out of an install to test, and if the passive Xover is in good shape you might consider doing things that way.  Can't recall a model number, sorry.
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Jeff M Hague

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 05:44:04 pm »

If they are what I think they are, they sound pretty darn good in passive mode.  We pulled one out of an install to test, and if the passive Xover is in good shape you might consider doing things that way.  Can't recall a model number, sorry.

They do sound good - I was quite surprised! But I was totally guessing at the crossover. Especially because of the layout of the cab. Front loaded lows and mids are pretty true to the driver but these are not front loaded. The 6" is on a horn and the lows - I think there is 1 driver pointing straight up in to a chamber, 1 pointing straight daown in to a chamber and the box behind both is ported. Ive seen that arrangement before even recently. I think the JBL PRX835 is loaded that way. I dont know what thats called though.
There is a pair of EAW d18s under the stage and I crossed those at 100HZ. Crossed the low section of the cabinets in the picture at 100 and 500 and there is a passive crossover between the mids and highs. Total guess but it sounded decent to tracks Im familiar with. I didnt do any eq on the 260 either. The house eq is in the Soundcraft Si they are using at FOH. Like I said it sounded good and my friend was real happy with it for services the next day so....
Im hoping to identify them so I can at least look at some specs and then go back and do a more thorough job.
I can see the EAW tag on the front but cant see the back. They are 20' in the air and there was no lift or ladder.
Jeff

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 05:49:58 pm »

Thanks!

Maybe something from the EAW AS line.  Hard to tell though.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Jeff M Hague

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 05:55:14 pm »

Maybe something from the EAW AS line.  Hard to tell though.

And navigating their legacy site is no fun at all...
Jeff

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 07:57:24 pm »

EAW ASR 660's or 690's.

Probably not JBL components, most likely RCF.

Here's a link that will get you close.
https://eaw.com/downloads/#142-558-wpfd-asr660e

Looks like with passive mid and highs you want to be at 320hz between the mids and lows.
100hz between the lows to the subs would be a good start, maybe a bit lower.
Make sure you have a high pass about 35 to 40 on the 18's.
Dig deeper or call EAW to see if there are any general DSP specs for them.

For the fill speaker hanging under the mains I would high pass them upwards to 200hz.

You mentioned blown speakers in the lobby in the other post, depending on the size and type those should be high passed accordingly as well if they get them replaced.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 08:40:01 pm by Mike Caldwell »

Jeff M Hague

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 07:50:56 am »

EAW ASR 660's or 690's.

Probably not JBL components, most likely RCF.

Here's a link that will get you close.
https://eaw.com/downloads/#142-558-wpfd-asr660e

Looks like with passive mid and highs you want to be at 320hz between the mids and lows.
100hz between the lows to the subs would be a good start, maybe a bit lower.
Make sure you have a high pass about 35 to 40 on the 18's.
Dig deeper or call EAW to see if there are any general DSP specs for them.

For the fill speaker hanging under the mains I would high pass them upwards to 200hz.

You mentioned blown speakers in the lobby in the other post, depending on the size and type those should be high passed accordingly as well if they get them replaced.

Excellent - thanks so much! They are definitely AS6xx but not sure which. The main differences between the various models is the dispersion of the HF section but this helps a LOT!
The fills hanging below the EAWs are on a separate output on the crossover. I will have to check the filters though. The lobby speakers are the same as the Fills but I am told they are blown. The current residents of the church have never used them. They also have a dedicated output on the crossover.
Thanks again!
Jeff

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 09:09:10 am »

The DBX 260 while an older unit with a dated looking GUI it still a fully programmable unit in terms of IO routing and filter processing.

You mentioned the system was mono, maybe look at setting up the system and DSP for aux fed subs.
One input on the DSP could feed the mains and fills, the other could be just for the subs.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 09:15:05 am by Mike Caldwell »

Jeff M Hague

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 10:32:18 am »

The DBX 260 while an older unit with a dated looking GUI it still a fully programmable unit in terms of IO routing and filter processing.

You mentioned the system was mono, maybe look at setting up the system and DSP for aux fed subs.
One input on the DSP could feed the mains and fills, the other could be just for the subs.

Yes I have discussed that with their Tech. I don't see any advantage in this situation to go stereo so an aux fed sub would be a good use for the extra input.
They do have plans and apparently budget approval to replace the speaker system as well as the monitors but he does not know how soon. (How they have budget approval without any idea of what they are going to replace things with is beyond me but...) If it is within the next month we likely wont touch anything. Longer than that we may go ahead and make some changes.
Jeff

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 11:21:35 am »

Thanks!
I would start with measuring the individual bands, seeing where they overlap, what the high and low cutoffs are etc, and go from there. 

I like to do individual band eq first, then apply filters, then adjust delay time as needed for a smooth phase response, and then tweak as needed.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 11:21:35 am »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 23 queries.