ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Unbranded Antenna Combiner for IEM systems from China  (Read 1440 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Unbranded Antenna Combiner for IEM systems from China
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2024, 08:17:04 AM »

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that many folks at the lounge level aren't RF savvy enough to really make the most informed decisions. The real test would involve measurement equipment to verify function not just a try out at home. It's not like a cheap light that you can see, or a speaker that you can hear in operation. They're IEMs and in my experience mixing them it's never a good time when there are RF problems that I as the operator cannot hear.

I can say anecdotally many times I have encountered wireless rigs that have seemingly unsolvable problems it's usually some dodgy piece in the chain creating it. Or the omission of a critical item, like antenna combining or splitting. To put it another way, the biggest single improvement that I made at my current employer was not microphones, speakers, or any of the lighting or video gear that I have advocated for but forcing the purchase of proper* antenna distribution for the wireless they already had. And the proof is when other technicians and the users tell me "we just don't have problems like we used to have". Yes it seems a bit pricy for the name brand gear and all it does is combine or split antennas. That's what it takes to do it reliably.

*I do have a number of 2 way passive CATV splitters for the times I need them, the cost to performance difference between them and something like Shure's UA 221 is ridiculous.
I completely agree with Matt on this one.
Most of us do not have the appropriate equipment to test RF components comprehensively.
"It works" is not always a reliable benchmark!
You could buy the product and send it off to one of the RF "gurus" and get the real story.
Take the advice of those with bite marks on their a$$ and buy a brand name.
Buy one, cry once ;D
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Unbranded Antenna Combiner for IEM systems from China
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2024, 08:17:04 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.