ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change colour to channel on fixture?  (Read 2699 times)

Glenn Scott

Change colour to channel on fixture?
« on: January 05, 2021, 08:09:57 PM »

Hi people. I have a used generic 192 Show Designer type controller and two different el cheapo LED fixtures from China. No name or model. Im new to this and hooked up the two fixtures today, following a beginners You Tube video. I noticed that both fixtures, 4 channel (Dimmer/Strobe, Colour 1, Colour 2, Colour 3 ) had different colours assingned to their channels. One had Ch 2 - Red, Ch 3 - Grn, Ch 4 Blue and the other had Ch 2 - Blue, Ch 3 - Grn, Ch 4 - Red. Of course it would be good if both fixtures had the same colours for the same channels - is there any way of doing this? I had a look inside the fixture and I saw a 4 wire ribbon cable going from the board to the LED array so I figure thats where things need to be changed. Has anyone done this before? Thanks for your help!

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Change colour to channel on fixture?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 10:51:37 PM »

Red, Green, Blue is the standard sequence so likely that connector from the LED board is miswired. Do you have a multimeter? With 4 pins one is 5v and the other are grounds for each of the colors, if you can figure out which pin is power(it might even be labelled) then it's a simple matter of swapping the wires for Red and Blue.

Oh another thought, open up the good fixture and look at the wire colors on that connector and then just copy that to the other.

Glenn Scott

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 11:25:26 PM »

Red, Green, Blue is the standard sequence so likely that connector from the LED board is miswired. Do you have a multimeter? With 4 pins one is 5v and the other are grounds for each of the colors, if you can figure out which pin is power(it might even be labelled) then it's a simple matter of swapping the wires for Red and Blue.

Oh another thought, open up the good fixture and look at the wire colors on that connector and then just copy that to the other.

Thanks! the ribbon cable has a code on it, one wire a thick, red line puncuated by small gaps occassionally, a wire with nothing, a wire with small red dots spread evenly and the 3rd small red dots spread further apart. My guess is that the thick red lined one would be the +5V one and the others the colour grounds. I have a multimeter so could put one probe on a ground point and check the pins on the circuit board for the 5V. When I get back to work I think I could make up a male to female connector that I can change the wiring around...

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 11:58:58 PM »

Is the ribbon cable straight through or are there perhaps some pins crossed at one end? If there are differences at 1 end only maybe it's just inserted backwords... the end currently connected to the LED pcb should be at the driver board and vise versa.

Glenn Scott

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 12:09:22 AM »

Is the ribbon cable straight through or are there perhaps some pins crossed at one end? If there are differences at 1 end only maybe it's just inserted backwords... the end currently connected to the LED pcb should be at the driver board and vise versa.

Hi, this is what I have...not quite sure what you mean by "pins crossed at one end"... I really dont want to open the whole thing up to get to the back of the array!!

Thanks as always

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 12:57:36 AM »

When you said ribbon cable I was expecting a different type of connector, pictures always help.

The good news is with the type of connector you have wires can be moved around pretty easily, you just need something with a fine point to depress the locking tab and then the individual wires can be pulled out of the connector and moved.
Check out this video

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=installing+a+molex+connector&&view=detail&mid=A3002B188ED58A4CC195A3002B188ED58A4CC195&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dinstalling%2520a%2520molex%2520connector%26qs%3Dn%26sp%3D-1%26pq%3Dinstalling%2520a%2520molex%2520connector%26sc%3D1-28%26sk%3D%26cvid%3D2B338BDE1F0D44ACB7402CBF0024A700%26FORM%3DVDVVXX
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 01:04:59 AM by Paul G. OBrien »

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 02:49:50 AM »

Red, Green, Blue is the order I'd expect the light to work in, so I'd be messing with the light that's not that order.  Yeah, you can probably swap pins on the one that's wrong.  Get it right and it'll work.  Screw it up, and it'll smoke. :)
Brian Jojade

Glenn Scott

Re: Change colour to channel on fixture? - Fixed!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 12:45:57 AM »

Hi folks, well after a looong time I got around to actually solving my problem (thanks for the point in the right direction, Paul!) .... I figured someone was having a brain fade (or just not caring) when they soldered the wires to the LED array. I thought if I try to measure voltages on the pins on the circuit board, something will slip and probably fry so I made the little adapter you see on the left. I plugged this on the PCB and, putting the can DIP switches onto Red, then Green then Blue I measured voltages for all wire combinations. You see each wire is numbered so you have possibilites of 0-1, 0-2,0-3, 1-2,1-3 and 2-3 for any voltages. I found Blue had voltage on pins 0-1 (0 volts all others), Green had voltage on 0-2 (0 volts on all others) and Red had voltage on 0-3 (0 volts on all others).
So I could see the yellow wire (0) was common to all as was said and all I had to do was swap the 1 and 3 to acheive a Red, Green, Blue fixture.
I made the adapter on the right, connected it up, tested (yay!) and put some heat shrink over the assembly.
Once again, thanks for your help

Glenn

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 01:54:19 PM »

.......Get it right and it'll work.  Screw it up, and it'll smoke. :)
I've let the smoke out of a few things over the years.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 10:18:39 PM »

I made the adapter on the right, connected it up, tested (yay!) and put some heat shrink over the assembly.
Once again, thanks for your help

The adaptor method should work, but man, that's a lot of effort.  Poke something in the slot on the connector and gently pull. The wire would come out.  2 wire swaps, 30 seconds of work.  Way easier than building the adaptor!
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 10:18:39 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.