ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about a mackie 8 bus board  (Read 5404 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Question about a mackie 8 bus board
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 04:10:00 PM »

The small 1202vlz and 1402vlz Mackies were good and can still come in handy. the 1604vlz was not so bad for what it was but anything larger than that got proportionally worse as the size increased.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 07:02:37 PM »

The small 1202vlz and 1402vlz Mackies were good and can still come in handy. the 1604vlz was not so bad for what it was but anything larger than that got proportionally worse as the size increased.

Very much so.

I once replaced a 1202 out of a baseball stadium's pressbox. It was filthy and all the knobs were scratchy and intermittant. Since it was headed for the dumpster anyways, I took the gross one all apart and ran it through my dishwasher with no soap. I put it all back together and it continued to work flawlessly for many years afterwards.

I've used several 24*4's in clubs or wherever and I think all of those were broken in some way. and to me the 8 bus was the worst one of all. Stupid EQ section.

Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mike garland

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 07:32:34 PM »

Im selling the power supply to get my money back out of it, selling the board for parts, and going to hunt down a A&H. Once im booking regularly again and can stack the cash ill upgrade to a digital board. Still need subs and monitor cabs. I have a set of active 15 inch cabs already. Im just trying to scoop up some decent gear sense everyone is selling out or upgrading during the lul during covid. I used mackie boards a lot on the road and never had issues with them. Same with behringer. Never had any complaints. I prefer in-line consoles. I dont use gates or compressors unless I have to, dont use a lot of verb either as most of the time the room takes care of it for you. Larger halls and arenas excluded, im talking clubs. All I can swing for a while as far as buy in price on gear. The ipad wireless snake setups sound good in concept but I would absolutely hate it, the entire point of doing it again is to feel the faders under my hands again, otherwise its just no fun. And you can say what you like, I dont buy the sound quality of an all digital configuration like that. Ill bet even money I do better with the same setup I ran in the early 2000's,

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 04:55:55 PM »

Good luck with "stacking the cash".  It may be a while!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 06:37:28 PM »

And you can say what you like, I dont buy the sound quality of an all digital configuration like that. Ill bet even money I do better with the same setup I ran in the early 2000's,

For me it had nothing to do with sound quality. All the sub 10k dollar setups sound roughly the same. If there are differences, it is infinitely small.

It's about rolling in one rack that has everything in it, vs case after case of gear and a large snake that you have to roll up at the end of the night after it's all covered in beer and other secretions.

I don't know about you, but my back couldn't survive moving the same amount of gear now that it did back in the 90's. Hell, I've done shows 20+ years ago that took a 24' box truck to move, and now those same shows fit in a 6x12 single axle trailer!

That's the real magic of modern gear.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 03:08:47 AM »

Plus you don't have to learn networking stuff with the Ui. You can plug in a touchscreen right into the board and control it right away.

Is that available on the UI24? It was one of the most impressive (to me) features of the UI16 when they first advertised it, but it was never implemented.

Steve.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 11:59:02 AM »

Is that available on the UI24? It was one of the most impressive (to me) features of the UI16 when they first advertised it, but it was never implemented.

Steve.

So take this for what it's worth, because I don't own a UI and never have. I was researching them when I ultimately bought an XR18.

As of the latest firmware update, the following screens are supported. I'm not sure what the numbers to the right of "Supported" mean.

Dell   S2240T   Supported   2149   2122
View Sonic   TD2220   Supported   0408   3008
Asus   vt207N   Supported   222A   45
ACER   T232HL   Supported   6923   2149   2306
Dell   S2240T-USA   Supported   2575   8753
Dell   P2418HT   Supported   "0424"   274C

I'm hoping that this bit of info is true. Because that's a feature that should be included on all headless mixers. 

Daniel Levi

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 12:25:53 PM »

The numbers on the right are probably the actual hardware revision, my dell laptop is an inspiron 13-5000 5379, there are a few models that look exactly the same as mine but if you need parts you must have parts for the 5379 variant (I speak from experience!). I would guess said monitors have a few hardware revisions and that will be what that extra number refers to, so you would need to make sure you got that revision of monitor to ensure compatibility.

Michael McDonald

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 06:56:29 PM »

...If you want to go analog for price reasons (it's a false economy today) look for a Soundcraft GB8. Churches are dumping these by the truckload as they update to digital and they can be had for a few hundred bucks. It's a decent analog desk that will do everything the Mackie does, but y'know, reliably...

For sure Tim. I wanted an eight-bus, eight-aux LR+M analogue for myself that had a useable EQ, 4 or more mute groups and the stereo channels were in addition to the mono count, not eating into the channel count and that could flip auxes onto the group faders. The GB8 is a good console if that's what OP is after, but even a GB8-32 in a case with a doghouse and the outboard rack is a heavy beast for a lounge level guy on their own. The analogue is just for the love and feeling of a row of faders in all honesty, mostly just lives at home plumbed up to a DAW for fun.

Cheers,
Mick

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 07:13:01 PM »

Steve.

Yes, at an install I did with a Ui24 and one that a friend of mine has both use a Dell touch screen monitor connected directly to the mixer for control as well as an iPad.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 07:13:01 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.