ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laser range finder  (Read 2446 times)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Laser range finder
« on: January 03, 2021, 04:27:36 AM »

Not strictly audio measurement equipment, but I think it fits here anyway.
Mods: feel free to move this topic.

I’m preparing for what is hopefully a restart of our biz in the coming months (6-9 in my crystal ball) and no. 1 on my list is a good laser range finder.

I have a generic Bosch unit. Good enough for small stuff, but I’m having trouble seeing the laser beyond 30m indoors. Outdoors is even worse. Measuring depth/elevation of balconies is pretty difficult from the floor.

I’ve been looking at Leico D510/810. Both look useable for my purpose, not sure I need the 810 as the 510 looks more value for the money. Any experience with either or other models/brands I should look at?

My current Bosch is probably 15 years old, I suspect a lot of my issues are obsolete these days due to technology moving on.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Laser range finder
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 09:28:48 AM »

Not strictly audio measurement equipment, but I think it fits here anyway.
Mods: feel free to move this topic.

I’m preparing for what is hopefully a restart of our biz in the coming months (6-9 in my crystal ball) and no. 1 on my list is a good laser range finder.

I have a generic Bosch unit. Good enough for small stuff, but I’m having trouble seeing the laser beyond 30m indoors. Outdoors is even worse. Measuring depth/elevation of balconies is pretty difficult from the floor.

I’ve been looking at Leico D510/810. Both look useable for my purpose, not sure I need the 810 as the 510 looks more value for the money. Any experience with either or other models/brands I should look at?

My current Bosch is probably 15 years old, I suspect a lot of my issues are obsolete these days due to technology moving on.

I use the Leica Disto E7500i.  It works great for the general things you would want to do as a system tech. Ie, quickly dimension a room. The camera (with zoom) is crazy helpful and the extended range to 600ft is really nice... however you do need to put it in a long range mode to get it to register extended range.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 09:45:49 AM »

I use the Leica Disto E7500i.  It works great for the general things you would want to do as a system tech. Ie, quickly dimension a room. The camera (with zoom) is crazy helpful and the extended range to 600ft is really nice... however you do need to put it in a long range mode to get it to register extended range.

Thanks.

I believe Leica says that the D510 and the E7500i is the same unit under a different name.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 10:26:00 AM »

Doubling the recommendation on a version with a camera. Often the difference between getting a measurement and not.

Rick Earl

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 12:54:36 PM »

Doubling the recommendation on a version with a camera. Often the difference between getting a measurement and not.
+1
The Bluetooth connection is real handy as well when you have a lot of data-points.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 01:10:30 PM »

I own a Leica and a Bosch.  The Leica is better.  The really big, clunky Leica I owned years ago was the best of the lot for my budget, but it finally died.

If you're making distance measurements for rough alignments in arenas or stadiums, you don't need fractional inch/millimeter resolution or accuracy.  If you're good to 1 ft/30cm, you should be fine in those venues.

For outdoors use I have a Nikon sports (golf, hunting) rangefinder that is far, far less trouble than using a Disto or similar.  Never hunt for the red or green dot again!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 11:49:30 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 02:20:30 PM »

I own a Leica and a Bosch.  The Leica is better.  The really big, clunky Leica I owned years ago was the best of the lot for my budget, but it finally died.

If you're making distance measurements for rough alignments in arenas or stadiums, you don't need fractional inch/millimeter resolution or accuracy.  If you're good to 1 ft/300cm, you should be fine in those venues.

For outdoors use I have a Nikon sports (golf, hunting) rangefinder that is far, far less trouble than using a Disto or similar.  Never hunt for the red or green dot again!

Thanks. From what I'm reading here I believe I'm good with a Leica , but those Nikon sports lasers look reeeeally cool.
BTW: 1 ft is roughly 30cm, not 300 ;)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 11:50:04 AM »

Thanks. From what I'm reading here I believe I'm good with a Leica , but those Nikon sports lasers look reeeeally cool.
BTW: 1 ft is roughly 30cm, not 300 ;)

Yeah, I was think millimeter and typed CM.  I fixed it in my post, thanks.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 11:50:04 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.