ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless DMX on a budget in 2021 - Blizzard or Donner or ?  (Read 4107 times)

Scott Hofmann

Re: Wireless DMX on a budget in 2021 - Blizzard or Donner or ?
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 12:34:49 PM »

The Donner stuff works great.  I've got even cheaper Wosung knockoffs that I've been using for about 5 years that haven't let me down.  I'm pretty sure they are all the same thing, just with a different brand label on them.

The only thing I kinda hate about them is they are long connectors, and the power connection can be a bit of a hassle.  I have found just the PCB module available for dirt cheap. I've considered picking a few of those up and doing internal wireless modules in a few fixtures to eliminate the added external connections.  Haven't gotten that far yet though.

RE the length of the Donner units, several years ago I ran into a situation where I had very little clearance behind the fixture so I made up a right angle XLR to put the Donner vertical instead of horizontal. I know you can buy a Neutrik right angle male to female 3-pin XLR but it seems to be incredibly expensive, so I made one using a NC3FRX right angle female
which has an internal threaded end for the chuck and a regular NC3MX which has an external threaded end. The NC3FRX keeps the Donner very close to the back of the fixture.
The pictures show the implementation however I only had the REVERSE OF THE CORRECT PARTS available so just pretend the black right angle male connector is the female fixture end!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 01:13:49 PM by Scott Hofmann »
Scott Hofmann

Joel T. Glaser

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 11:24:18 AM »

RE the length of the Donner units, several years ago I ran into a situation where I had very little clearance behind the fixture so I made up a right angle XLR to put the Donner vertical instead of horizontal. I know you can buy a Neutrik right angle male to female 3-pin XLR but it seems to be incredibly expensive, so I made one using a NC3FRX right angle female
which has an internal threaded end for the chuck and a regular NC3MX which has an external threaded end. The NC3FRX keeps the Donner very close to the back of the fixture.
The pictures show the implementation however I only had the REVERSE OF THE CORRECT PARTS available so just pretend the black right angle male connector is the female fixture end!

Great idea Scott. Thanks for sharing!

Jeff Dine

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 02:32:13 PM »

I have 4 Donner receivers, 2 with batteries, 2 without.  The power switch on one of the battery powered ones has gone unreliable.  It can take several presses for it to change state.  Even when it is powered externally it needs to be switched on, so the iffy switch is still a problem.  The ones without a battery don't have a switch. My advice is that if you don't need the battery option don't go that route.  Also, it doesn't hurt to have an extra if going wired is problematic. 

Despite this issue, I'd still buy more Donner units should the need arise.  Mine are 3 or 4 years old now.  Batteries still last all night. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 02:32:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.