ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 Live Stream Questions  (Read 5068 times)

Curtis McGill

X32 Live Stream Questions
« on: December 27, 2020, 06:57:50 PM »

FIRST QUESTION: If a DCA is muted will it be muted in the live stream as well or just muted in the house? The live stream feed is a Bus. My understanding is that the DCA should not impact the live stream bus. However, our speaking mic could not be heard at the beginning of the stream this morning. I forgot to unmute the DCA and the DCA volume was all the way down. At the end of the service it was unmuted and up to normal volume and it was fine.

SECOND QUESTION: If I put all of our musician channels for the live stream on a mute group could I just use that one button to take them out of the stream during the message? If not, is there an easy way to mute the musicians all at once?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: X32 Live Stream Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 07:45:50 PM »

First question-- Yes if the mix that is feeding the live stream is post fade, if the mix feeding live stream is pre fade and depending on the pick off point within the channel than maybe no.

Second question -- Yes a mute group would do that again if the live stream mix is post fade, pre fade could depend.

From you description it sounds like the live stream mix is post fade.

Curtis McGill

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 08:54:40 AM »

First question-- Yes if the mix that is feeding the live stream is post fade, if the mix feeding live stream is pre fade and depending on the pick off point within the channel than maybe no.

Second question -- Yes a mute group would do that again if the live stream mix is post fade, pre fade could depend.

From you description it sounds like the live stream mix is post fade.

Yes, our live stream mix is post fade. So, here is my next question... Since the live stream bus feed is post fade, how can I boost the drum mics in the live stream mix without terrorizing the congregation with more drums or higher volumes in the worship center overall? We have kick, snare, and two toms - no cage. We have a reasonable mix in our room (given our experience - or lack thereof), but we often have our BGV's too hot and our drums too soft. BGV's are easier to remedy, but I don't know how to adjust the drums under our current circumstances.

Again, thank you!

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 09:28:09 AM »

Yes, our live stream mix is post fade. So, here is my next question... Since the live stream bus feed is post fade, how can I boost the drum mics in the live stream mix without terrorizing the congregation with more drums or higher volumes in the worship center overall? We have kick, snare, and two toms - no cage. We have a reasonable mix in our room (given our experience - or lack thereof), but we often have our BGV's too hot and our drums too soft. BGV's are easier to remedy, but I don't know how to adjust the drums under our current circumstances.

Again, thank you!

I am not specifically familiar with the X32 mixer, but the other mixers I do have experience with allow you to adjust the post-fader send level. So you can in effect set a "bias" on the post-fader send so that the send level to an aux, mix or bus (pick your term) for that channel is some dB value above or below (referenced to unity) the setting of the channel fader. For example, on my Yamaha boards I can send individual channels to a mix bus either pre-fader or post-fader. And in either case I can adjust the level of that send so I can, for example, send the signal to Mix 1 post-fader but at a fixed offset of 3 dB louder (by turning the Mix Send to +3 dB). So if the channel fader is unity, the Mix 1 Send for that channel will be +3 dB. Or I can go the other way and pull the Send down -1 dB. But either way, as I adjust the fader for that channel the Mix 1 Send will also adjust but it will stay at the offset I dialed in for that send (i.e., +3 dB, -1 dB, etc.). Your X32 very likely works exactly the same.

Curtis McGill

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 11:34:36 AM »

I am not specifically familiar with the X32 mixer, but the other mixers I do have experience with allow you to adjust the post-fader send level. So you can in effect set a "bias" on the post-fader send so that the send level to an aux, mix or bus (pick your term) for that channel is some dB value above or below (referenced to unity) the setting of the channel fader. For example, on my Yamaha boards I can send individual channels to a mix bus either pre-fader or post-fader. And in either case I can adjust the level of that send so I can, for example, send the signal to Mix 1 post-fader but at a fixed offset of 3 dB louder (by turning the Mix Send to +3 dB). So if the channel fader is unity, the Mix 1 Send for that channel will be +3 dB. Or I can go the other way and pull the Send down -1 dB. But either way, as I adjust the fader for that channel the Mix 1 Send will also adjust but it will stay at the offset I dialed in for that send (i.e., +3 dB, -1 dB, etc.). Your X32 very likely works exactly the same.

I've experimented with that. The problem is that the drums are quieter in the house mix because they overwhelm the room so I'm left with a softer drum mix in live stream feed too - even if I do adjust the drum mix hotter in the video feed. It may just be the nature of the beast for now.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 12:46:56 PM »

I've experimented with that. The problem is that the drums are quieter in the house mix because they overwhelm the room so I'm left with a softer drum mix in live stream feed too - even if I do adjust the drum mix hotter in the video feed. It may just be the nature of the beast for now.

I am familiar with A&H workflow-which is different than the M32-but my daughter's church uses the M32, so I was curious.  Read page 7 in the manual, it explains it better than I can.
Steve Swaffer

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 08:28:36 PM »

As Bill was saying bring up the drum channels on the mix send higher, may a lot higher!
Since they are post fade if you are running the the drum inputs for the main mix low you will need more level applied to the channel mix sends for live stream.

The next step would be to have someone independently controlling the live stream mix
in real time with an iPad, in that case the mixes would need to set to pre fade.
They would also need a way to monitor the audio feed for the live stream.

The pre post fade mix send concept is same on all mixers digital or analog, some just give you more choices where to pull the mix send signal from within the channel strip.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 11:26:30 PM »

if you aren't using all of the input channels you can double assign things like the Kick to another channel and use that channel to send to the live stream Mix Bus. Just don't send that channel to the send that you use for the house mix.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 01:36:25 PM »

Yeah, lots of ways to set this up, depending on your workflow.

Each channel and bus can be assigned to DCAs, so depending on how you set up your workflow will determine what the DCA will control.

The first step is to decide how you want the mixer to behave.  If you have 2 operators, setting up a completely separate mix for in house and live stream might not be a bad option.  If you're using less than 16 channels, you can duplicate the inputs on channels 17-32 so that the live stream can have full independent control of the mix.   Eg, maybe you need different effects or more or less effect for in house vs on live stream.  By keeping this separated, you have full control of that.

If you need more channels, you can still have completely separate level controls on every channel for each mix by running through separate busses and mixing the bus.

Or, you can send groups of things to duplicate busses and decide which bus goes to mains and which goes to the live stream.  If you send drums to 2 different busses, you can then easily turn them down in house and turn them up on live stream.

So many options available, it's hard to describe them all!
Brian Jojade

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 02:55:56 PM »

There's lots of creative live stream mix routing options available on just about every digital mixer.

If you want to truly do an active hands on so to speak live stream mix the options narrow down fairly fast as one person can not do the main mix and separate independent live stream mix at the same and be paying close attention to both.

For a one person sound operation building the live stream mix using an open post fade aux/mix, adjusting the mix send levels
accordingly to balance the live stream mix and then just the live stream mix track along with the fader moves made for the mix is going to be about the best compromise.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 02:55:56 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.