ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 Live Stream Questions  (Read 5217 times)

Curtis McGill

Re: X32 Live Stream Questions
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 02:14:52 PM »

Lots of trial and error, but last week was our best mix yet. I could actually hear the drums and bass!

If I made our live stream mix a stereo mix would it be a noticeable difference to the listener?

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 02:41:54 PM »

If I made our live stream mix a stereo mix would it be a noticeable difference to the listener?

Probably not.

Brian Jojade

Curtis McGill

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 02:18:43 PM »

Next question: How can I make our live stream louder on the receiving end? I am being told that some people are having to adjust the speakers because the sound on YT is soft.

Our routing is a mono bus mix (X32) to Focusrite to OBS to YT. We try to keep the Bus close to unity but we usually have to turn it down because of distortion in our live stream. We can't hardly get the Focusrite to 9:00 before it starts distorting and going into red (it is at line level). OBS levels are in yellow.

I've been told to apply compression to the live stream bus but I'm not sure where to start: Threshold, Ratio, Attack, Hold, Release, Gain.

Is compression where I need to start? Are there other things I should look at first?

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 03:20:42 PM »

This is a cut and paste and edit of something I recently wrote that I hope covers your question.

One church I helped set up their X32 for live streaming we took each channel post fader to a Mix Bus (7) and if you needed more or less of that in the live stream they would adjust to taste. This included the vocal reverb that was used for the house mix. They could also send channels to Mix Bus 7 without sending it to the L/R for the house feed. And don’t forget that you have the parametric EQ on the Mix Bus available for shaping the sound. Mix Bus 7 was then sent to Matrix 5 and 6 as the output to the stream.

I used the compressor on Mix Bus 7 at about a 7:1 ratio and set the threshold so it was always doing a little something.  I set the attack and release to AUTO mode and I set the knee to 5. This was then routed to Matrix 5/6 and the matrix compressor was set to limiting (brick wall limiting) ratio to 100 percent and 0 knee, also set it to peak not RMS. And the level was set while watching a test live stream and was set to be just under clipping. This was to keep the signal clean and as loud as we could get it but keep it from clipping. Keep in mind that the dynamic range of live sound is not going to work for any kind of broadcasting feed. Actually at first to get in the ball part I sent a steady tone to the stream and adjusted the Matrix outputs and the limiter to where I heard a clean tone on the streamed return. If the tone is clipping it is very obvious. Then we used playback of a band and we needed to bring it all down a little bit. This church has a Box Caster so there are no adjustments at all in the streaming device. If you are using a way to stream that gives you some control you will need to look into that. There may be a way to increase your output form there. But it sounds like you will still need to beware of the level you are feeding to that and that is where the compression and limiting come into play. 

And although it might drive you a little bit craze because of the extreme delay you could have one person with a tablet (hooked up to control the live stream Mix Bus on the M32 over WiFi) mixing the Mix Bus feed while watching and listening to the live stream in another room. I say drive you crazy because any change you make on the Mix Bus you wouldn’t hear right away because of the time it takes for the live stream to reach the person watching and trying to mix it. When we were testing this setup it was around 26 seconds.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 10:17:12 AM »

As mentioned apply some fairly heavy compression to the over all live stream mix, trust me what TV and radio do to their broadcast audio is extreme prior to hitting the transmitter, in your case that is OBS.
I have found with OBS you need to run the audio levels well into the "yellow" to get
a decent live stream audio level.
Make sure nothing is clipping prior to OBS.

Joris Jans2

• Vester Theater Techniek
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 04:26:47 AM »

you don't mention the exact focusrite device you use, but probably you are using the mic level inputs now (XLR) and you can try use the TRS line level inputs if it has combo inputs. is SHOULDN't matter but in many cases, it does.

for a good explanation of compression: see youtube. visually is better then discribing

Curtis McGill

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 09:54:39 PM »

you don't mention the exact focusrite device you use, but probably you are using the mic level inputs now (XLR) and you can try use the TRS line level inputs if it has combo inputs. is SHOULDN't matter but in many cases, it does.

for a good explanation of compression: see youtube. visually is better then discribing

Focusrite 2i2 (3rd gen)

From the manual: INST – Line/Instrument level switches for each input which alter gain and input impedance to
suit either instrument or line level signals. ‘INST’ illuminates red when Instrument mode is
selected. Note that INST may also be selected from Focusrite Control

We do not have it illuminated red. We have an XLR out of the board to a 1/4"

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 09:54:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.