ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap lights that might be worth it  (Read 4188 times)

duane massey

Cheap lights that might be worth it
« on: December 23, 2020, 12:46:18 PM »

Picked up a pair of these to use with our trio (no drums), and I am actually very pleased with them. Yes, they are plastic, and they can't be confused with pro-level stuff, BUT they're worth every penny for a non-demanding situation, and for $39.99 they fit my non-existent budget. Obviously not suitable for rentals or hard use.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=612970
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Dennis Wiggins

Re: Cheap lights that might be worth it
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 02:18:22 PM »

Picked up a pair of these... Yes, they are plastic, and they can't be confused with pro-level stuff...https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=612970

How well do they do a slow auto fade/change?  Does it go "blackout" as one of the auto colors?  That is something I don't like to happen, as I  want to go smoothly into the next color when it starts over.  This might work well for the very tiny 8'x8' setups I usually have to work in.

Dennis

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 09:15:17 PM »

How well do they do a slow auto fade/change?  Does it go "blackout" as one of the auto colors?  That is something I don't like to happen, as I  want to go smoothly into the next color when it starts over.  This might work well for the very tiny 8'x8' setups I usually have to work in.

Dennis
They fade pretty smoothly, and do not go to black.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 10:29:30 PM »

They fade pretty smoothly, and do not go to black.

Thanks... I'll put a bug in Santa's ear.

-D

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 01:17:56 PM »

Light output: 54 watts.. LOL. that's a great measurement spec!

Yes, lights have once again become cheap stuff that anyone can afford.  Like back in the day when par cans became small and cheap enough that every band could throw 4 on each side of the stage.

As a piece of a kit, it certainly creates light, and as an effect, it's great that this stuff is inexpensive. However, it still is an art form to make lighting look good, and not just a pile of vomit.  The same holds true no matter how much you spend on the lights. :)
Brian Jojade

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 01:55:52 PM »

Light output: 54 watts.. LOL. that's a great measurement spec! ... However, it still is an art form to make lighting look good, and not just a pile of vomit. ... :)

Oh, do you mean this?  Hint: read the last sentence.

From the Monoprice site:

"This Party Wash FX light IS the show! Enjoy virtual movement from six 9-LED slices with independent color control that will give you pinwheel rotary movement. The 54 1-watt LEDs can also be controlled like standard stage wash lights for tradition illumination of scenes, set pieces, and performers.

Simply turn them around to face the audience for a unique windmill light show for all."

-D

<edit>  As Duane notes in his next post, all I'm looking for is a soft glow of slowly changing colors typically on the back wall or on the ceiling. More of a mood, than an effect.  No flashes sync'd with the bass beat, or anything like that.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 06:35:58 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

duane massey

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 02:06:53 PM »

[I will repeat for those in the back:
Picked up a pair of these to use with our trio (no drums), and I am actually very pleased with them. Yes, they are plastic, and they can't be confused with pro-level stuff, BUT they're worth every penny for a non-demanding situation, and for $39.99 they fit my non-existent budget. Obviously not suitable for rentals or hard use.

There are a lot of solo/duo/trios in our area that don't need anything more than 2-3 small lights that are not bright, flashy, or pro-level. Most of the lights in this price range are not useable, even by those standards. I play in one of those bands where we are background/wallpaper, and in a few cases are not allowed to bring ANY for of lighting. We do enough small patio gigs and private parties that these fixtures fit the needs perfectly.
I only posted this because there are some musicians who visit this site may find the info useful.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

John L Nobile

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2020, 02:36:44 PM »

Would a light like this be a better choice?

https://www.amazon.ca/Light-ACTIVE-Lighting-Wedding-Church/dp/B01CTRO36I/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=led+lights&qid=1608838209&refinements=p_36%3A12035762011&rnid=12035759011&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-19

I'm not an expert on lighting but I think that the above light has 7 multicolour 10 watt LED's while the other has 18 x 1 LED's bulbs of 3 colours. And it has a white. The RGB version of white is more of a steel blue.

I have one of the 7 x 10 and I'm quite impressed with it. Especially for the price.

duane massey

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 06:11:14 PM »

Would a light like this be a better choice?

https://www.amazon.ca/Light-ACTIVE-Lighting-Wedding-Church/dp/B01CTRO36I/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=led+lights&qid=1608838209&refinements=p_36%3A12035762011&rnid=12035759011&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-19

I'm not an expert on lighting but I think that the above light has 7 multicolour 10 watt LED's while the other has 18 x 1 LED's bulbs of 3 colours. And it has a white. The RGB version of white is more of a steel blue.

I have one of the 7 x 10 and I'm quite impressed with it. Especially for the price.

If you want to spend over $ 50, this would be a better choice (9 x 10) for $ 59.99, and I have used a bunch of these in very adverse conditions:  https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=612749&gclid=CjwKCAjwi6TYBRAYEiwAOeH7GVE1DOCa2NsnNDGG-2Yr2bdOl0267kDsG-PWCmH6haFtgkkaD-0WHBoCvIkQAvD_BwE

Again, I don't need the higher output, and some others do not as well.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 11:13:13 PM »

For the intended purpose, they are just fine!  Yes, they are cheap, which means you can have light and even have enough budget left over for proper control.  This light 10 year ago would have cost 10X as much without all of the bells and whistles.  It's amazing how technology has advanced.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 11:13:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.