ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Martin Mac 101 repairs  (Read 824 times)

Matt Greiner

Martin Mac 101 repairs
« on: December 20, 2020, 04:05:47 PM »

I recently purchased some Mac 101's, and I've never worked on them before.  I have some experience working on older, larger movers (beams and spots.)

Does anyone on here have any service documents/schematics on them?  Or some experience with working on them? I'm sure I'll have more issues in the future, but right now I'm getting a Pan Sensor and Tilt Sensor error on one of the units.  I'll also need to give them all a good cleaning.

John Fruits

Re: Martin Mac 101 repairs
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 10:09:45 AM »

Did you check out the parts finder?
https://www.martin.com/en/products/mac-101#downloads
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Matt Greiner

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 11:22:13 AM »

Did you check out the parts finder?
https://www.martin.com/en/products/mac-101#downloads

Honestly no, I didn't.  I'm not to that part quite yet, but I will definitely use that as a resource.  Light parts down in Austin has a lot of parts in stock.  I'm looking for for the technical side, although exploded parts diagram should definitely prove to be useful indeed.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 02:16:13 PM »

Hi Matt, just to ask the obvious, have you reached out to Martin for what you need?  I know that Martin isnít quite as forthcoming as other brands such as High End when it comes to publishing service literature, but itís always worth asking.  Lightparts has also been incredibly helpful with my effort to maintain older units, so even just a quick call to them might be very beneficial as well.

As far as your pan/tilt issue, if memory serves correctly I believe the Mac 101s are optical, so check your photo gates.  A bit of dirt or dust on the photo sensor can cause this sort of problem.  Otherwise, check wiring, swap in known working parts, etc., just as you would when troubleshooting any other moving light.  With how cheap the 101s are these days it might be more economical to buy a spare unit or two just for parts versus buying individual replacement parts...  Hope this helps!

Matt Greiner

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 02:27:55 PM »

Hi Matt, just to ask the obvious, have you reached out to Martin for what you need?  I know that Martin isnít quite as forthcoming as other brands such as High End when it comes to publishing service literature, but itís always worth asking.  Lightparts has also been incredibly helpful with my effort to maintain older units, so even just a quick call to them might be very beneficial as well.

As far as your pan/tilt issue, if memory serves correctly I believe the Mac 101s are optical, so check your photo gates.  A bit of dirt or dust on the photo sensor can cause this sort of problem.  Otherwise, check wiring, swap in known working parts, etc., just as you would when troubleshooting any other moving light.  With how cheap the 101s are these days it might be more economical to buy a spare unit or two just for parts versus buying individual replacement parts...  Hope this helps!

Never hurts to ask, as sometimes the obvious answer is looked over.  But yes, I did send Martin an email, just haven't heard back.  With the holidays fast approaching, it might be why I haven't received a response yet.  I will definitely reach out to light parts and see if they can assist.  I have dealt with them before on some issues with other fixtures in the past, yes they always seemed willing to help.

They definitely need a good cleaning, so I will start there, as that may be a solution to my issue as you point out.  And yes, they seemed to have been dropping in price on the used market, I'm guessing their age (10+ years) and the current state of the industry are factoring into their price.  I will keep my eyes open for a few more units.  I appreciate your time.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 10:06:37 PM »

And yes, they seemed to have been dropping in price on the used market, I'm guessing their age (10+ years) and the current state of the industry are factoring into their price.

Not only that, but the discrete RGB LEDs plus lack of beam control (zoom, etc.) has really made these fixtures fall out of favor compared to units such as the Mac Aura, which continues to be an industry standard.  Pixel mapping such as seen in the newer Mac Aura PXL is also a popular trend in LED wash lights.  The Chauvet Rogue Series offers a more budget-friendly alternative if you prefer buying new.  Best of luck with the project though!

Matt Greiner

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 10:45:42 PM »

Not only that, but the discrete RGB LEDs plus lack of beam control (zoom, etc.) has really made these fixtures fall out of favor compared to units such as the Mac Aura, which continues to be an industry standard.  Pixel mapping such as seen in the newer Mac Aura PXL is also a popular trend in LED wash lights.  The Chauvet Rogue Series offers a more budget-friendly alternative if you prefer buying new.  Best of luck with the project though!

I've used some Chauvet R2 washes on some projects before, they are very versatile.  While I would prefer to purchase new, my current place in the market doesn't allow for that.  I'll be happy working on 10 year old fixtures and making them shine the best that I can!  Now, if I can just get some schematics for the electronics........  Oh well, all part of the challenges of owning older fixtures.

Matt Greiner

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 09:46:22 AM »

Martin responded fairly quickly and provided me with both wiring schematic and also the 3D partsfinder file. John early in the thread, suggested I download that from the Martin website.  However it did not appear they kept it on the website anymore, just the link to the free player for the file.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 09:46:22 AM ¬Ľ

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.