ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: The new world you didn't know was coming ( Yamaha consoles only)  (Read 5228 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
The new world you didn't know was coming ( Yamaha consoles only)
« on: December 15, 2020, 10:34:58 PM »

Spent an entertaining and informative couple of hours on a Facebook stream last night watching Andrew Broughton demo his remarkably slick new way to control a Yamaha CL/QL console from any other CL/QL anywhere in the world. If you haven't seen this it is a pretty interesting way to spend some time . Not sure how to see out without being a facebook droid, might have to ask Andrew.

https://fb.watch/2pec99BeCg/

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: The new world you didn't know was coming ( Yamaha consoles only)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 11:53:22 PM »

Nice.

I still can't believe this isn't a more commonly available feature on consoles.  We already have the ability to use a computer to control a device.  All that is needed is a 'slave' mode that lets a console mirror another.  It doesn't seem like it should be a difficult process.

It would open up the opportunity to have a console FOH on a WIFI connection and keep all of the audio on the stage. (yes, wired is better than WIFI, but the OPTION would be great) Having the audio ALL stay at the stage console instead of FOH would eliminate a point of failure in the chain as well.

Ah, one can dream.
Brian Jojade

MikeHarris

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 01:49:00 AM »

some years ago we did a completely networked system for a Dutch company doing a dueling pianos theme restaurant in Coconut Grove with a Yamaha console mixed in real time by a engineer in Holland. Monitors too ! 

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 04:01:19 PM »

Spent an entertaining and informative couple of hours on a Facebook stream last night watching Andrew Broughton demo his remarkably slick new way to control a Yamaha CL/QL console from any other CL/QL anywhere in the world. If you haven't seen this it is a pretty interesting way to spend some time . Not sure how to see out without being a facebook droid, might have to ask Andrew.

https://fb.watch/2pec99BeCg/
You can see it without signing into FB.
(Your and Jason’s cheques are in the mail...)
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 05:59:02 PM »

Mixing from Holland?  Who'da thunk it!

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 03:04:27 PM »

This is fantastic.

I just watched the whole thing. However. Am I correct that the screens from the remote console didn't pop up on the local console? For instance. Remote operator opens up EQ window. Did this screen not pop up on the local console, or was this a filter-option? A question related to the "remote instructor-learning" aspect/possibility of the software.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 12:32:05 PM »

This is fantastic.

I just watched the whole thing. However. Am I correct that the screens from the remote console didn't pop up on the local console? For instance. Remote operator opens up EQ window. Did this screen not pop up on the local console, or was this a filter-option? A question related to the "remote instructor-learning" aspect/possibility of the software.

This is correct. Screen changes on the local console do not change the screen on the remote console and vis versa. This is because screen changes do not generate messages that are sent outside the console. This is true whether you are changing screens with touch screen buttons, or if you're using UDKs to do the same thing.

This falls squarely under the "it's both a bug AND a feature" category. For remote training you'd probably rather have your local screen change the remote screen as well so that your student is seeing exactly what you are doing without needing to do any input on their own. But if you're doing a "two people controlling one console" thing, then this is exactly what you want so that both people can work independently on their own control screen.

I intend to use this tool for training and will likely just include in my workflow ways to have my students push the correct buttons to ensure that they are on the same screen as me and therefore creating muscle memory [as well as making sure they're tracking with me]. I may even just use custom UDK layers so I can just say "push UDK 7 and you should see" whatever I want them to see.

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 02:06:51 PM »

This is correct. Screen changes on the local console do not change the screen on the remote console and vis versa. This is because screen changes do not generate messages that are sent outside the console. This is true whether you are changing screens with touch screen buttons, or if you're using UDKs to do the same thing.

This falls squarely under the "it's both a bug AND a feature" category. For remote training you'd probably rather have your local screen change the remote screen as well so that your student is seeing exactly what you are doing without needing to do any input on their own. But if you're doing a "two people controlling one console" thing, then this is exactly what you want so that both people can work independently on their own control screen.

I intend to use this tool for training and will likely just include in my workflow ways to have my students push the correct buttons to ensure that they are on the same screen as me and therefore creating muscle memory [as well as making sure they're tracking with me]. I may even just use custom UDK layers so I can just say "push UDK 7 and you should see" whatever I want them to see.

*I am not a programmer*

Are you "spoofing" the data that would normally travel between the editor and the console? If so the editor has a tick box to change screens or not on the console it's connected to.

I completely admit that I'm a neophyte and this may not be how you are doing it.

Also, I watched the webcast again yesterday. This stuff is very impressive. On my campus I have 3 CL5's and a CL1. I can already see some use for this. Remote mixing in other rooms for sensitive subjects. We have a post-abortion group and a victims of sex crimes group that might be more comfortable if I'm not in the room.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 12:23:51 PM »

*I am not a programmer*

Are you "spoofing" the data that would normally travel between the editor and the console? If so the editor has a tick box to change screens or not on the console it's connected to.

I completely admit that I'm a neophyte and this may not be how you are doing it.

Also, I watched the webcast again yesterday. This stuff is very impressive. On my campus I have 3 CL5's and a CL1. I can already see some use for this. Remote mixing in other rooms for sensitive subjects. We have a post-abortion group and a victims of sex crimes group that might be more comfortable if I'm not in the room.

The Editor has specific "change to this screen" commands, and I just realized that you can probably set up UDKs to change screens on the remote console if desired.

Contact me at my website if you'd like to learn more, Tim!
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 10:10:48 PM »

I haven't watched the whole thing...yet (it's playing in the background as a type)...but can anyone confirm if this is the first true way to have a completely redundant QL/CL system? I could see applications for this with two consoles sitting in immediate proximity of each other (with shared inputs via analog split or dante) simply acting as a primary and backup.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 11:06:26 PM »

I haven't watched the whole thing...yet (it's playing in the background as a type)...but can anyone confirm if this is the first true way to have a completely redundant QL/CL system? I could see applications for this with two consoles sitting in immediate proximity of each other (with shared inputs via analog split or dante) simply acting as a primary and backup.

I suppose you could. Basically Andrews program takes all the moves from your master console and sends it via midi commands to the receive console. If both of those desks were running the same inputs and outputs they could be be running redundant audio. The control messages don't care about audio. Both desks could be running audio through them.

The caveat is that the master desk won't show meters from the remote desk. But if it's running redundant audio the master desk will have its own meters jumping, but it will not coincide with what the remote desk is doing. Won't be a problem if they are sharing a stage box, but if the stage boxes are also redundant then you'll have to be careful about metering.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 11:49:59 PM »

It was possible before this to use MIDI to have two CL5s mirror one another, but you were limited by the MIDI protocol wrt distance between consoles, etc. There was also no simple way to synchronize the two consoles together. This solution removes those limitations along with providing a way to add Editor functionality to either console. This makes having a redundant console for FOH located back stage wherever there might be space not just possible, but easy. It also allows for some very interesting solutions to COVID challenges.

The germ of the idea was "I want to do what I can do with MIDI between two consoles but do it over the internet". Andy has taken that idea and run with it, allowing significantly more functionality in the process. It really is a cool thing.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 01:39:57 PM »

That's a good point. Instead of just having the popup-window you recall on end pop up on their screen, it seems like it's more value to actually have them go in and find the window you'll operating in.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 01:39:57 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.