ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on QSC tops for KS118  (Read 1536 times)

Alastair Breingan

Advice on QSC tops for KS118
« on: December 15, 2020, 07:07:32 PM »

Hi all, we are a country hall that puts on live music, mainly folk to blues. We have 2 x K12.2 for use inside the Hall (18m x 9 timber building) which has worked well, but could sometimes use more bass.

We now have a grant to buy Subs and Tops for Outside concerts (in a 25m x 17m grassed area for 150 - 200 people).

We think we will stick with QSC (6 year warranty is good as we are remote) and  buy 2 x Ks118s, but we haven't had much experience matching Subs with Tops.
So we need advice on suitable tops. We could use the K12.2s or buy KW122 or KW153s.

The grant would cover either so the decision is mainly on sound vs weight, and equipment that would also be useful inside.
We heard the 153s with another sub and that definitely had enough power.
The smaller speakers presumably wont go as loud  but might get cleaner sound.
Any advice gratefully received
Thanks
Al

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Advice on QSC tops for KS118
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 07:14:37 PM »

Hi all, we are a country hall that puts on live music, mainly folk to blues. We have 2 x K12.2 for use inside the Hall (18m x 9 timber building) which has worked well, but could sometimes use more bass.

We now have a grant to buy Subs and Tops for Outside concerts (in a 25m x 17m grassed area for 150 - 200 people).

We think we will stick with QSC (6 year warranty is good as we are remote) and  buy 2 x Ks118s, but we haven't had much experience matching Subs with Tops.
So we need advice on suitable tops. We could use the K12.2s or buy KW122 or KW153s.

The grant would cover either so the decision is mainly on sound vs weight, and equipment that would also be useful inside.
We heard the 153s with another sub and that definitely had enough power.
The smaller speakers presumably wont go as loud  but might get cleaner sound.
Any advice gratefully received
Thanks
Al

Per the instructions when you created your account your display name must be your real verifiable name to participate.  The thread will be locked until it is changed.  Thanks
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mal Brown

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 08:18:40 PM »

I often run 153's over 181's, 1 or 2 subs per side depending on the gig. I use the QSC short extension poles.  I find it easy to deploy with 2 guys for the lift.The system wants a little EQ to tighten up the bass and not much else.  153's over 181's has been my goto small to medium rig for some time.  I like that rig a lot.

These days I would be taking a hard look at the 3 way Yamaha box DZR ?   If I can ever justify upgrading, that is on my short list of boxes to demo.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Bob Stone

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 08:24:49 PM »

Can you just get the KS118's and see how the K12.2's do with them first before getting new tops?

I have K12.2's and have used them with KW181's and it's a good match up, but I always want a little more low end so a KS118 with a smidge more output should be perfect.

If you want to go louder than that setup, you'll probably need to look beyond the QSC offerings.

Jeff M Hague

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 11:28:50 AM »

Per the instructions when you created your account your display name must be your real verifiable name to participate.  The thread will be locked until it is changed.  Thanks

If you already have 2 ks12.2 I would stick with those. That gives you the option of 4 matching tops if ever needed.
The ks118s are a good match for the ks12.2s and with the kind of music you are doing 2 of them may be plenty outdoors. Anything more like rock I think you'll find you need 4.
Jeff

Alastair Breingan

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 02:32:39 AM »

Can you just get the KS118's and see how the K12.2's do with them first before getting new tops?

I have K12.2's and have used them with KW181's and it's a good match up, but I always want a little more low end so a KS118 with a smidge more output should be perfect.

If you want to go louder than that setup, you'll probably need to look beyond the QSC offerings.
That seems to be the advice I am getting (here and elsewhere) - thanks - we will try that first
Al

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 02:32:39 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.