ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: System for Children’s worship room  (Read 3085 times)

John Boyd

Re: System for Children’s worship room
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 11:15:42 AM »

Rob Timmerman wrote on Mon, 16 January 2006 06:12

As for the mixer, you need to decide if this system will be run "hands-off", "hands-on", or a bit of both.  If you have somebody, or a group of somebodies, that will be trained in the operation of this system and will be running it for every function in the room, an analog mixer is fine.  If the system needs to run unattended, however, I would strongly suggest looking at an automatic mic mixer.  Some of the newer DSP units can give you the best of both worlds:  automatic microphone mixing with manual control if needed.  A 16x8 (for example) DSP box could give you all the flexibility of your analog mixer, all the advantages of a hands-off system, all the system optimization functions of a dedicated DSP system processor, and not cost that much more than the analog mixer plus the system processor.  Food for thought.

Well, guys I think I must apologize. I guess I was naive and (ignorant) to all the choices and design that SHOULD go in to a system. Look like I need to do more homework and thinking.

Rob, your post about the mixers and the DPS’s got me thinking. Could you give some makes and models for a semi hands off system. I think that type of setup is what I’m look for to give stage coverage for our sketches. I would really don’t want to use wireless for the acting. Would this work:

A Shure SCM 810 Auto mixer with 4 Shure MX393’s boundary mics on the stage floor to provide coverage for dialog; that going in to a mixer of some sort.

Greg Hertfelder

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 12:01:48 AM »

You asked about manufacturers of DSP systems. Peavey, TOA, Shure and Biamp are manufacturers I can think of at the moment. These systems are programmed by the contractor, so they are a little hard to research. At the end, the contractor will supply what they sell and what they know how to program.

I would avoid use of any boundary or any other kind of mic that would put more than 2" between the presenter's lips and the mic element. I work with the children's ministry at our church, and we found that the Samson 77 aerobics headset mic is a reliable, economic solution for a "young" environment, and guarantee strong gain-before-feedback. Its durable, has the transmitter on the headset, and relatively inexpensive. At these prices, you can afford to overdesign and spec 6 headset systems and a couple handheld mics.

You are on the right path by thinking about automatic mic mixers. DSP systems have this circuitry as a drag-and-drop option in the setup software.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 12:01:48 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.