ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: [solved] LUFS Live?  (Read 4431 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
[solved] LUFS Live?
« on: December 10, 2020, 09:05:40 PM »

Hi all!

There's probably no simple answer, but how are people dealing with loudness and metering for live streams? My sense is that LUFS is technically something that can only really be calculated after it's already too late, so what are people using in real-time? Can something like 10EaZy be configured for estimating LUFS?

Thanks!

-Russ
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 12:06:08 AM by Russell Ault »

Matthias McCready

Re: LUFS Live?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 10:35:29 PM »

Hi all!

There's probably no simple answer, but how are people dealing with loudness and metering for live streams? My sense is that LUFS is technically something that can only really be calculated after it's already too late, so what are people using in real-time? Can something like 10EaZy be configured for estimating LUFS?

Thanks!

-Russ

Waves has a plugin or if you a computer with a DAW post console, but pre-stream there are many options some of which are free.

If neither of those is an option I would recommend recording a sample of your content and then uploading the file here

While the last option is not "live" it will help you set your limiters and between seeing your reduction rate on the console and your loudness via the software that should help you to dial things in pre-show.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 11:34:43 PM »

Waves has a plugin [...]

I was looking at that Waves plugin; it's on quite a good sale right now so perhaps I should just bite the bullet. Part of the reason I was asking about 10EaZy is that I already own a copy of it and I was wondering if I could "make do", but perhaps not.

Thanks!

-Russ

Matthias McCready

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 11:46:25 PM »

I was looking at that Waves plugin; it's on quite a good sale right now so perhaps I should just bite the bullet. Part of the reason I was asking about 10EaZy is that I already own a copy of it and I was wondering if I could "make do", but perhaps not.

Thanks!

-Russ

I am not certain that 10EaZy cannot, that is a rabbit hole worth exploring and maybe worth an email to Rational Acoustics?

That could be a feature request for the future if it is not something that can be done now?
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Michael Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 01:01:00 PM »

I am not certain that 10EaZy cannot, that is a rabbit hole worth exploring and maybe worth an email to Rational Acoustics?

That could be a feature request for the future if it is not something that can be done now?

Loudness / LUFS metering is on the list for new SPL-related features in v9. It requires a bit of replumbing under the hood having to deal with how we would handle stereo / multi-channel inputs.

But yes - it can be done in realtime, as it's basically no different than an Leq SPL measuremnet with a little bit of EQ and thresholding thrown in.

For my own work, I've been using Youlean loudness metering plugin.
https://youlean.co/youlean-loudness-meter/
 It's fantastic, very powerful, and affordable. There is a free version but I happily paid $29 for the pro license.
Lead Instructor / Smaart SPL Product Manager - Rational Acoustics
Technical Editor - ProSoundWeb.com
Freelance Systems Engineer

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 01:24:53 PM »

Loudness / LUFS metering is on the list for new SPL-related features in v9. It requires a bit of replumbing under the hood having to deal with how we would handle stereo / multi-channel inputs.

But yes - it can be done in realtime, as it's basically no different than an Leq SPL measuremnet with a little bit of EQ and thresholding thrown in.

For my own work, I've been using Youlean loudness metering plugin.
https://youlean.co/youlean-loudness-meter/
 It's fantastic, very powerful, and affordable. There is a free version but I happily paid $29 for the pro license.

Yeah, I've been using YouLean heavily over the last 6 months or so. Highly recommend!
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 01:58:04 PM »

How does WLM compare to YouLean, if anyone's compared the two...
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 02:01:42 PM »

I've not done a deep dive into either, but I've used both. The visual interface is quite different, but for me the big difference is how easily YouLean allows you to see LUfs over time with a very easy to read and understand time line. It's also a bit simpler to use as a standalone although it CAN be used as a plug in as well.

YouLean also has a free option that has plenty of features for most people.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 12:05:44 AM »

[...] For my own work, I've been using Youlean loudness metering plugin. [...]

[...] Yeah, I've been using YouLean heavily over the last 6 months or so. Highly recommend!

Purchased (it was even on sale today!). Thanks for the recommendation!

-Russ

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 11:10:56 AM »

I use both. I have WLM in the broadcast studio which is patched on my "safety record" console output track in Reaper. I'm multitracking and mixing for broadcast, then I patch an output of the broadcast desk back into Reaper for the safety record. WLM is set up on input FXof that track.

For Youlean, I use that when I'm mixing something in post.

I find Youlean much easier to read, and much faster to get to the proper Lufs. It has a fantastic display.

I am still using WLM simply because I have it already. It's not that it's bad, it's just not as easy to navigate or watch. Youlean has it beat on UI.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Phillip Ivan Pietruschka

Re: [solved] LUFS Live?
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 03:56:18 AM »

Hi all!

Thanks!

-Russ

We use a number of TC Loudness Pilots; whom have both loudness processing and metering in one unit. Not the cheapest solution; but extremely practical in a live production environment.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 12:27:17 PM »

Is there any software that compares the outgoing to incoming (applying the appropriate amount of delay) to get a REAL reading of the feed?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 12:27:17 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.