ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ceiling/in-wall speakers -- brand/model guidance  (Read 5372 times)

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: Ceiling/in-wall speakers -- brand/model guidance
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 01:13:12 PM »

Martin C8.1T, except they're over $200.  One of the better/best ceiling speakers that don't cost a fortune, and a nice wide pattern. 

The higher end Tannoy options are pretty good, but not in stock and cost more.

Community (Biamp) has some OK ones.  Same with EAW, JBL, EV, and everyone else. 

Stay away from Sonance and Bose and most of the general consumer brands.  The markup is insane!

If you can tweak the budget a bit - the 8" Martins would be my first choice out of the ones I've used/heard.  The 6" Martins have an even wider pattern, a bit less bass extension as expected, but they seem to distort too easily at higher SPL, where the 8" models are great.  If you can demo both of them - do it.  Make sure you can walk far off-axis. 

Another thought - if the SPL levels aren't high, use the Martin 6" models, but add a single small ceiling sub (Tannoy for example) to help with the low end.  Or hide a small-ish subwoofer (1Sound has some, or some small recessed options from various places - look close and the response graphs though) in the ceiling or wall somewhere.  This takes a lot of the stress off the speakers and works best overall.   

Another option, great sounding, from Martin is the Adorn ceiling speakers.  The ACS-55T have a similar frequency response to the C6.8T but less money. 
There is a shallow back can version (more limited LF response) if you would need to match with less room.  They also match the acoustic signature of both some small on wall models and a pendant model.
Can even get the on walls with weatherproofing accessories if you want to match anything for under eave mounting.
Where you would want some sub, if you could do in room the SX-210 is a really great little sub at a relatively low cost (Maybe not compared to other home speakers).

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 09:49:33 PM »

Another option, great sounding, from Martin is the Adorn ceiling speakers.  The ACS-55T have a similar frequency response to the C6.8T but less money. 
There is a shallow back can version (more limited LF response) if you would need to match with less room.  They also match the acoustic signature of both some small on wall models and a pendant model.
Can even get the on walls with weatherproofing accessories if you want to match anything for under eave mounting.
Where you would want some sub, if you could do in room the SX-210 is a really great little sub at a relatively low cost (Maybe not compared to other home speakers).

Lee

How do the Adorn ceiling speakers perform, especially at similar SPL levels as the C series?  I have yet to use them. 

The C6.8T - I need to listen to them again, the first thing that comes to mind besides the wide pattern is how harsh the upper mid/HF gets as the SPL goes up. 

Agree with Hal - don't worry about 'stereo'.  I was always fascinated by how the residential world obsesses over having all speakers in pairs, especially ceiling speakers.  For 2.1 or 5.1 or 7.x.4 systems - stereo or surround makes sense.  For ceiling speakers - nope.   

Another point - match the speakers to the room, or more accurately, to the intended listening pattern.  Ceiling speakers are great where there is no focal point and the SPL will be lower, and the music isn't the main focus of the room.   For rooms where audio is the actual focus - I'd look at in-wall or on-wall, subwoofers, higher SPL, etc.   
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 09:31:20 AM »

How do the Adorn ceiling speakers perform, especially at similar SPL levels as the C series?  I have yet to use them. 

I have not yet used the ceiling versions of the Adorn.  They just started shipping but I have used the wall mounts extensively and they perform very well within their size and "I think" above their price point.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2023, 03:00:58 PM »

Reviving this old thread to give a big THANK YOU to all of you who helped with this. A special thanks to Mike Pyle who shepparded us through several equipment decisions and handled the purchases, including some returns, seamlessly.

Construction often takes longer than anticipated and yesterday, ~2 years since planning started, we passed audio through all speakers and time-aligned subs, set gains, etc. The “client”, really a friend, is extremely pleased with the results. The surprising part for me is how he’s really got into the tech side of it all. He knows more about configuring Dante networks than I do at this point and is up to speed on Armonia+ and various iOS control apps. He has a new hobby as well as a very nice installed system.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2023, 03:00:58 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.