ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Focusrite 2i2 and Win 10 update  (Read 2202 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Focusrite 2i2 and Win 10 update
« on: November 30, 2020, 12:39:00 PM »

Has anyone else experienced issues with the Focurite 2i2 and the recent Windows 10 update?  I have been using a 2i2 on a laptop since March for a conference call setup for our church since March with no issues.  After the last Windows update, I can no longer get audio into the computer.  Focusrite page is set correctly, setup audio is correct and I am getting sound to the Focusrite but silence on the outputs.  I see nothing on their website.  I uninstalled and re-installed drivers per their instructions, still no sound.
Steve Swaffer

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Focusrite 2i2 and Win 10 update
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 03:31:07 PM »

Has anyone else experienced issues with the Focurite 2i2 and the recent Windows 10 update?  I have been using a 2i2 on a laptop since March for a conference call setup for our church since March with no issues.  After the last Windows update, I can no longer get audio into the computer.  Focusrite page is set correctly, setup audio is correct and I am getting sound to the Focusrite but silence on the outputs.  I see nothing on their website.  I uninstalled and re-installed drivers per their instructions, still no sound.

What software are you trying to get audio into?

-Russ

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 07:36:06 AM »

Into is a softphone-but I can't even play audio out of the speakers from the 2i2 so it appears the break is on the input side.
Steve Swaffer

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 04:58:10 PM »

Into is a softphone-but I can't even play audio out of the speakers from the 2i2 so it appears the break is on the input side.

Does the output side work? In other words, can you play sound from Windows 10 and output it via the 2i2's analog outputs? I have the same device on my Windows 10 20H2 feeding monitor speakers and the audio ouput via the 2i2 is fine. Unfortunately I don't have a mic here at home to try the input with. I have the 2nd Generation 2i2 if that matters.

Have you tried the normal trick of pulling the USB cable and plugging it back in to force Windows to renegotiate the connection? Of course if you've rebooted the PC that would do the same thing.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 05:03:52 PM »

Does the output side work? In other words, can you play sound from Windows 10 and output it via the 2i2's analog outputs? I have the same device on my Windows 10 20H2 feeding monitor speakers and the audio ouput via the 2i2 is fine. Unfortunately I don't have a mic here at home to try the input with. I have the 2nd Generation 2i2 if that matters.

Have you tried the normal trick of pulling the USB cable and plugging it back in to force Windows to renegotiate the connection? Of course if you've rebooted the PC that would do the same thing.

Did you check that it works at all?  Mine went belly up and hit the trash. I could get sound out the headphone jacks from the analog inputs, but nothing through the USB side.

EDIT: Should have quoted Stephen, not Bill.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 05:51:01 PM by David Sturzenbecher »
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 05:22:06 PM »

[...] I can no longer get audio into the computer. [...]

[...] I am getting sound to the Focusrite but silence on the outputs. [...]

Okay, I'm confused; sometimes it sounds like you have an input issue, and sometimes it sounds like you have an output issue. Let's start with the basics: what is your setup?

Mic -> 2i2 -> USB -> Softphone -> USB -> 2i2 -> Speakers?
Mic -> 2i2 -> USB -> Softphone -> built-in audio jack -> Speakers?
Something else?

-Russ

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 06:19:56 PM »

So here is the situation right now:

Scarlett shows audio in on the LEDs.

Windows shows audio in on the mic test (its from Scarlett because it quits when I turn that off.

I get no audio on the headphones out.

I am using a Softphone-3CX.  When I start that, I can here the audio tones (my dialing and voice prompts from conference call}  Still no audio from my Scarlett.

When I dial into the conference call from my cell, I can hear the Scarlett audio.

No, it doesn't make sense.  Perhaps I am losing my mind.

Windows has Scarlett for the input and headphones for the output.
Steve Swaffer

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 07:06:01 PM »

Okay, so, you didn't really answer my question, but I've pieced the following together:

Setup:
- You have some kind of audio source (not sure what) plugged into one or more inputs on the 2I2
- You have headphones plugged into the headphone output on your laptop

- You know that the input(s) on the 2I2 are working normally because, in addition to the Windows test, audio present at those inputs is also present in the softphone and conference call (as verified from another device)
- You know that the headphone output on your laptop is working normally because the sound generated by software on your laptop is present in headphones attatched to that output

Expected outcome:
- At some point in the past the signal present on the 2I2's input(s) was also present on your laptop speakers and on headphones plugged into your laptop's headphone output

Actually outcome:
- Audio present at the inputs of the 2I2 is not present on the laptop's speakers or headphone output

Is this all correct so far?

-Russ

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 08:25:25 PM »

Correct/

The only visible difference is in Win Settings it used to Say Focusrite 2i2  I think?  Now it says Analogue 1&2 (2 Focusrite USB audio)  I know that is different.

Audio on conference call is garbled-hard to listen to but speech can be deciphered.

Incidently, input to audio is from a QU-32 mix output that has not changed.  It is reset every service with a scene preset.
Steve Swaffer

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 10:45:20 PM »

Correct/ [...]

Bear in mind that looping audio through a computer (i.e. going in an input, passing through the computer, and then coming out an output) is not the default behaviour (and with good reason). If you were hearing 2i2 input audio coming out of your laptop's headphone output then it was due to something you configured, either directly or indirectly (that is, by installing a piece of software that would do this for you). Some softphones offer this functionality (usually under the name "side-tone"), and some (but by no means all) sound card drivers will give you this capability. Either way it's possible that a driver update might have altered some of these settings and that they'll need to be reset.

Having said that, frankly, I'm a little confused about what you're trying achieve. Best practises for monitoring outgoing audio would be to use a second laptop/phone that's listening to the conference call directly (so that you can hear exactly what everyone on the receiving end is hearing). Conversely, if all you're looking for to make sure the audio going into the 2i2 isn't distorting at the preamp, why not plug your headphones into the 2i2 and use the "Direct Monitor" function?

[...] Audio on conference call is garbled-hard to listen to but speech can be deciphered. [...]

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the garbled audio you're referring to is the audio from the QU-32 that's being captured by the 2i2, relayed by the softphone through the conference call, and then heard on your cellphone? (Can you please try to be a bit more specific? Only you know what your setup is...)

If it's sounding garbled (and assuming this is a new thing) then the usual troubleshooting steps would be to first ensure that your levels are where they should be (gain-staging is never more important than when dealing with super-lossy VOIP codecs), then check the audio at each point in the signal chain where you can get a tap. In your case this would probably be:
  • Plug headphones into the QU-32 and AFL the conference call send
  • Plug headphones into the 2i2, turn "Direct Monitor" on, and verify the post-preamp analogue signal from the QU-32 that's passing inside the 2i2
  • Record the QU-32's signal in a DAW using the 2i2 as the capture device (making sure to use the same drivers as your softphone is using; this is probably not ASIO) to verify the digital signal that's being captured by the 2i2
  • If your softphone has a side-tone function, you can try to use it to monitor the signal that the softphone is receiving (although it's unlikely to be as useful as you'd like, since side-tone is almost certainly generated pre-codec)
  • If possible, call another softphone directly and monitor how the QU-32's signal has fared through the codec process

Once you've found the last spot in the chain where the audio isn't garbled, it's simply a matter of checking settings and swapping pieces of equipment one at a time beyond that point until the garbling goes way.

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 10:45:20 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.