ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Configuring X32 live stream - attempt 2  (Read 3810 times)

Basil Paten

Configuring X32 live stream - attempt 2
« on: November 30, 2020, 10:48:55 AM »

Hi,

I recently posted this question, but it was locked because I accidently broke one of the forum rules. Sorry! I have now sorted that out and the question is re-posted below.

I'm fairly new to live sound (but have a bit more experience in a studio environment). I am wanting to configure our setup so that I can pan instruments in my live stream without them being panned in the FOH. If it is possible, I would still like to be able to keep the FOH in stereo so that I don't lose the stereo effect of reverbs and delays etc.
If I can't keep the FOH in stereo, what would be the best way to set up the FOH in mono? Should I just take an output from the main L and then daisychain the L and the R speakers? Or is there a way I can place an insert on the stereo bus which will sum the signal to mono?
At the moment the subwoofer is running off a crossover from the main LR, so we are not using the mono bus or an aux fed sub. The console is a Behringer X32 (standard model). The live stream is currently setup on a linked pair of aux channels (pre-fader).
Thanks for your help!

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Re: Configuring X32 live stream - attempt 2
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 11:14:06 AM »

This is a cut and paste and edit of something I recently wrote that I hope covers your question.

How many inputs are you presently using on the X32? If you have spare inputs you can double assign some inputs so you can use them just for the streaming feed.  Keep in mind that live streaming is very susceptible to being over driven. See below how we dealt with that.

One church I helped set up their X32 for live streaming we took each channel post fader to a Mix Bus (7) and if you needed more or less of that in the live stream they would adjust to taste. This included the vocal reverb that was used for the house mix. They could also send channels to Mix Bus 7 without sending it to the L/R for the house feed. And don’t forget that you have the parametric EQ on the Mix Bus available for shaping the sound. Mix Bus 7 was then sent to Matrix 5 and 6 as the output to the stream.

I used the compressor on Mix Bus 7 at about a 7:1 ratio and set the threshold so it was always doing a little something.  This was then routed to Matrix 5/6 and the matrix compressor was set to limiting (brick wall limiting) and was set while watching a test live stream and was set to be just under clipping. This was to keep the signal clean and as loud as we could get it but keep it from clipping. Keep in mind that the dynamic range of live sound is not going to work for any kind of broadcasting feed.

And although it might drive you a little bit craze because of the extreme delay you could have one person with a tablet (hooked up to control the live stream Mix Bus on the M32 over WiFi) mixing the Mix Bus feed while watching and listening to the live stream in another room. I say drive you crazy because any change you make on the Mix Bus you wouldn’t hear right away because of the time it takes for the live stream to reach the person watching and trying to mix it. When we were testing this setup it was around 26 seconds.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Basil Paten

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 11:12:42 AM »

This is a cut and paste and edit of something I recently wrote that I hope covers your question.

How many inputs are you presently using on the X32? If you have spare inputs you can double assign some inputs so you can use them just for the streaming feed.  Keep in mind that live streaming is very susceptible to being over driven. See below how we dealt with that.

One church I helped set up their X32 for live streaming we took each channel post fader to a Mix Bus (7) and if you needed more or less of that in the live stream they would adjust to taste. This included the vocal reverb that was used for the house mix. They could also send channels to Mix Bus 7 without sending it to the L/R for the house feed. And don’t forget that you have the parametric EQ on the Mix Bus available for shaping the sound. Mix Bus 7 was then sent to Matrix 5 and 6 as the output to the stream.

I used the compressor on Mix Bus 7 at about a 7:1 ratio and set the threshold so it was always doing a little something.  This was then routed to Matrix 5/6 and the matrix compressor was set to limiting (brick wall limiting) and was set while watching a test live stream and was set to be just under clipping. This was to keep the signal clean and as loud as we could get it but keep it from clipping. Keep in mind that the dynamic range of live sound is not going to work for any kind of broadcasting feed.

And although it might drive you a little bit craze because of the extreme delay you could have one person with a tablet (hooked up to control the live stream Mix Bus on the M32 over WiFi) mixing the Mix Bus feed while watching and listening to the live stream in another room. I say drive you crazy because any change you make on the Mix Bus you wouldn’t hear right away because of the time it takes for the live stream to reach the person watching and trying to mix it. When we were testing this setup it was around 26 seconds.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Thanks Kevin,

That is an interesting idea with double assigning the channels. I think I might just be able to get away with that with the number of channels we currently have in use, so will give that a go. What was your main purpose in routing from mix bus --> matrix, rather than just taking the output direct from the mix bus? To get another stage of compression/limiting?

Yes limiting the live stream level is something I have been struggling with as well. Finding it quite hard to get a satisfactory output without clipping.

Cheers,

Isaac 

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 03:01:19 PM »

Thanks Kevin,

That is an interesting idea with double assigning the channels. I think I might just be able to get away with that with the number of channels we currently have in use, so will give that a go. What was your main purpose in routing from mix bus --> matrix, rather than just taking the output direct from the mix bus? To get another stage of compression/limiting?

Yes limiting the live stream level is something I have been struggling with as well. Finding it quite hard to get a satisfactory output without clipping.

Cheers,

Isaac

Basically for a few reasons.
One it gives me the Mix Bus to put a compressor on and the Matrix to put a limiter on the feed. See where I mention that in my post. It also lets me feed one Mix Bus to 2 Matrix feeds since most streaming systems usually have 2 audio inputs, sometimes used for a stereo feed. This also lets me run the Mix Bus master at nominal and gives me a control (on the Matrix sends) to set the volume I need to feed to the stream. 

Basil Paten

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 11:26:01 AM »

Basically for a few reasons.
One it gives me the Mix Bus to put a compressor on and the Matrix to put a limiter on the feed. See where I mention that in my post. It also lets me feed one Mix Bus to 2 Matrix feeds since most streaming systems usually have 2 audio inputs, sometimes used for a stereo feed. This also lets me run the Mix Bus master at nominal and gives me a control (on the Matrix sends) to set the volume I need to feed to the stream.
Ah ok I see. Will have a fiddle round with it and see what works.
Cheers,
Isaac

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 04:34:44 PM »

Ah ok I see. Will have a fiddle round with it and see what works.
Cheers,
Isaac

Is Isaac your real name or is it a nickname and Basil is?

You are required to post using your real full name (or the one which you go by; meaning your middle name is used instead of first name is an acceptable username or you go by Robert but your real name is Bob etc.)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 04:34:44 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.