ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very humbled Newbie seeks guidence and expert like advice on powered tops  (Read 4276 times)

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: Very humbled Newbie seeks guidence and expert like advice on powered tops
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2020, 10:48:07 AM »

If the OP is currently considering Ev Ekx 15p and DAS Vantec 12a, then these are all a little absurdly out of his price bracket.

D&B
Danley
Fulcrum
L-Acoustics
Martin
Meyer

Some have a lower level product line selection to fit this budget range.
Martin for instance has Blackline X and, for self-powered, Blackline XP.
The Blackline XP15 would be only slightly more than the DAS Vantec 12A. 
For DJ use there are also some very nice double 18" self-powered options in Martin's line although the Blackline XP118 I would not think is enough for house/techno. 
Something more like the SXP218 would be a better fit which may make that out of the price range.

To follow up on other comments though, if the OP has already purchased the EV ETX subwoofer then I would suggest going with the ETX tops as well.  Probably the 12".

Lee Buckalew
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2020, 12:05:25 PM »

With what you already have, another ETX sub would definitely be at the top of the list for the genre of music you are doing.

My advice would be 2x subs to 1x 12" top.  I would start with just those 3 speakers, then add a top, then add 2x more subs for a total of 2x tops and 4x subs.

The SRX suggestion Scott made is also a good one because they offer an 828p double 18" sub.  Two of these is more cost effective than 4x single 18" subs, but they are not as convenient to carry or load in and out.

It really depends on your mode of transportation.

Good luck in your endevors!

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2020, 03:37:22 PM »

[...] To follow up on other comments though, if the OP has already purchased the EV ETX subwoofer then I would suggest going with the ETX tops as well.  Probably the 12". [...]

If the OP doesn't have a plan I would suggest they don't spend another dime. If they make a plan and it turns out that the sub doesn't "fit" and needs to be sold, having tops isn't going to make that sale any easier.

-Russ

Ryan Ashley

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2020, 06:14:04 PM »

If the OP doesn't have a plan I would suggest they don't spend another dime. If they make a plan and it turns out that the sub doesn't "fit" and needs to be sold, having tops isn't going to make that sale any easier.

-Russ

I have a plan. That is to purchase as good of a midrange powered system that is lighter in weight (will mostly be a one-man job), has enough power and clarity to feel the music for small rooms, max 75 people.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2020, 06:08:18 PM »

I have a plan. That is to purchase as good of a midrange powered system that is lighter in weight (will mostly be a one-man job), has enough power and clarity to feel the music for small rooms, max 75 people.

Sorry, I should have been clearer: by plan I meant business plan. How are you going to make that equipment pay for itself (capital costs, storage, insurance, etc.)? Of course, if this isn't a business you can ignore that question (and most of the last several posts).

-Russ

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2020, 08:25:46 PM »

Ryan, Russ bring up a good point - you're going to need liability insurance at the very least.  Whether or not you call yourself a business versus what business laws/liabilities will apply to you regardless of that are things that need to be well understood. 

Speaking from a requirements perspective this is all too vague to make specific recommendations.  Lighter in weight means (to me) that I don't need a forklift to pick it up.  To others it might mean 40 pounds or less.  Power (watts) and clarity (dimensionless and subjective) has no impact on "feeling" anything.  A requirement along the lines of "consistent output at 135 dB down to 30Hz" is something more defining that can better drive a purchase, albeit driving compromises in other areas of concern too.  A crowd of 75 people indoors is also hardly asking anything of a professional system.  One phrase that comes up in my field of work is "Engineering (or designing) is done with numbers. Analysis without numbers is only an opinion." 

I don't mean to sound snarky with any of this - I truly mean that sharpening your requirements may drive an unexpected solution.  As mentioned previously - if you don't plan on returning or selling your existing sub then just buy the matching tops and at least a second sub (if not a total of 4).  If you sell what you have and restart this discussion you'll have many more options.

If weight and portability are major concerns of yours and you're only playing to 75 people, there are very compact systems available that still get decently loud which will likely be a better fit overall than what you think you need (hence the mandate for a business plan).  Hope this helps!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2020, 09:26:36 PM »

I'll add to this idea: do you really need to be buying? Especially for something like speakers, if you're not using them regularly then renting on an as-needed basis might well be cheaper.

In the short term, renting is obviously cheaper than a capital outlay, but it also eliminates all the risk of discovering that the equipment you've purchased doesn't do what you need it to do. Especially with PA (which tends to be both show- and venue-specific), it's possible for renting to be cheaper in the long run if it turns out that your 5-year business plan was over- or under-optimistic.

Put another way, converting capital costs into operating costs (especially variable costs like show-specific rentals) can significantly reduce risk, which can then make business planning much easier (especially when just starting out).

-Russ

Renting is a good option, if you happen to be near Cleveland I have ZLX's in stock, QSC's KW's, ELX's, Yamaha  JBL SRX, STX and VRX. HK and even some FBT and Meyer

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2020, 09:26:36 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 24 queries.