ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey Aureus Digital Mixer.  (Read 9839 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Peavey Aureus Digital Mixer.
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 12:56:53 AM »

Just took a closer look at the back.  Proprietary external power brick.  Damn. Hard pass.

On the other hand it would be easy to tuck an extra power brick in the case for just in case.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 09:26:42 AM »

It Kinda has scribble strips in that there are channel labels on the display above the faders. Not perfect, but better than the Producer.

As to how it "sounds" my money says it sounds Just FineTM, which is what nearly all digital mixers today sound like.
Difficult to speculate about sound without actually listening. I will speculate anyhow, the digital conversion, and back technology is mature so probably serviceable. There are ergonomic issues in voicing of EQ, control laws, etc. Not Peavey's first console/mixer rodeo so they should get that right enough.
I actually think this little mixer is pretty cool. Small enough to tuck under your arm, but it still has a real touch screen and actual moving faders. Real XLR I/O along with the ability to use up to ten additional control surfaces is just icing on the cake.

I may have missed a product somewhere, but i can't recall something that fits so neatly between "kinda smallish mixer with 17 faders that's rack width" and "tiny lunchbox mixer with no physical controls". I'm not in the market for this right now, but i can think of a LOT of great applications for this little thing. If they put an Automixer Function in it, they'll sell zillions as breakout room mixers...
I would be surprised if it doesn't have automix capability... Peavey has been making automixers and actually integrating them into analog (church) mixer products for decades. Peavey's mediamatrix "big dog" digital system has automixing capability.

I expect a digital mixer to be upgradable via software, so if it doesn't have it now it could later.

This is kind of unexpected, but this late in the game, almost all the digital console mistakes should have already been made by other companies.

JR

PS: For TMI Peavey had digital console development projects going on in house last century.
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 12:23:38 PM »

I some ways I guess it doesn't matter how good it is as being late to the game it has to have the features/price to be a significantly better buy than what people already have, remember most digital mixers are part of an eco system so a lot of the time it is more than just the cost of the console itself that matter, it's all the accessories (remote control computers, stageboxes, cabling Etc.).

Proven reliability is also an important factor, you know how reliable an X32, for example, as it's been around for a while and so you can be pretty confident of there not being any issues with the console when you buy one.

Plus there is also the support network of experienced users for other consoles out there and if speccing for an install that will be used by visitors it's bst to have a console that most visiting users will not only be familiar with but might already have a show file for it.

While there will probably be a lot of users that will buy this because they currently have Peavey products and want to continue with the brand convincing other users to buy in to it will be a lot more difficult.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 12:55:17 PM »

I some ways I guess it doesn't matter how good it is as being late to the game it has to have the features/price to be a significantly better buy than what people already have, remember most digital mixers are part of an eco system so a lot of the time it is more than just the cost of the console itself that matter, it's all the accessories (remote control computers, stageboxes, cabling Etc.).

Proven reliability is also an important factor, you know how reliable an X32, for example, as it's been around for a while and so you can be pretty confident of there not being any issues with the console when you buy one.

Plus there is also the support network of experienced users for other consoles out there and if speccing for an install that will be used by visitors it's bst to have a console that most visiting users will not only be familiar with but might already have a show file for it.

While there will probably be a lot of users that will buy this because they currently have Peavey products and want to continue with the brand convincing other users to buy in to it will be a lot more difficult.

Peavey's big weapon has traditionally been their dealer network which is under tremendous pressure from on-line sales to buyers who care mostly about price.  There are plenty of 30 year Peavey systems and gear out there, some much older, still earning its keep.

Peavey's market is somewhat different as a result; customers tend to return to their local dealer and, most conveniently, Peavey probably has a new or updated item when the customer needs something.  That's how Peavey will sell the Aureus to existing customers.

New customers?  I think much depends of user experiences - if someone is happy with their Peavey Bandit amp, or the 5150, or the SP-4 or CS800, they're more likely to see the Aureus with a less skeptical eye.  Not every user is focused on expandability or modular add-ons:  bands, small houses of worship, conference break out rooms, etc.  As a system provider, what I need is not what every end user needs and I'm good with manufacturers purpose-designing for needs not my own.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2020, 03:08:25 PM »

Difficult to speculate about sound without actually listening. I will speculate anyhow, the digital conversion, and back technology is mature so probably serviceable. There are ergonomic issues in voicing of EQ, control laws, etc. Not Peavey's first console/mixer rodeo so they should get that right enough.I would be surprised if it doesn't have automix capability... Peavey has been making automixers and actually integrating them into analog (church) mixer products for decades. Peavey's mediamatrix "big dog" digital system has automixing capability.

I expect a digital mixer to be upgradable via software, so if it doesn't have it now it could later.

This is kind of unexpected, but this late in the game, almost all the digital console mistakes should have already been made by other companies.

JR

PS: For TMI Peavey had digital console development projects going on in house last century.

From reading many JR posts over the years I'm aware of all of the above [and grateful to be aware FWIW]. I might be a little more skeptical of this product if I wasn't as aware.

Yeah, this looks like a cool addition to the marketplace. I hope it does well.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 03:29:45 AM »

I'm surporised Peavey didn't have something like this a few years ago.

Steve.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 09:50:58 AM »

I'm surporised Peavey didn't have something like this a few years ago.

Steve.
I recall discussion inside about designing a Peavey digital console back in the 1980s. I saw at least one working proof of concept before I left the building two decades ago. The features in that new Peavey mixer would have been extremely expensive last century (not a typical Peavey SKU price point). Now much more affordable thanks to mature digital technology.

Yamaha was the pioneer, and deserved recognition for their investment in building a consumer market for digital mixers.

JR

Mike Lightkep

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2020, 03:48:28 PM »

A big selling point might be when we can find out if this desk was built from scratch in-house by Peavey or if they paired up with a big gun to get the design and implementation done.  Some of the control surface looks sort of, kind of, vaguely Digico but who knows at this point.  I've scoured Peavey's and Digi's and others web pages for signs of collaboration but have discovered nothing along these lines.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2020, 03:52:50 PM »

A big selling point might be when we can find out if this desk was built from scratch in-house by Peavey or if they paired up with a big gun to get the design and implementation done.  Some of the control surface looks sort of, kind of, vaguely Digico but who knows at this point.  I've scoured Peavey's and Digi's and others web pages for signs of collaboration but have discovered nothing along these lines.
I'm not sure how that matters, you could always put some black tape over the Peavey logo... I had customers do that, last century.

JR

PS; In addition to giving Yamaha credit for pioneering digital consoles, Uli deserves credit for crushing the price point to make it a high volume market. 

Mike Lightkep

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2020, 04:07:58 PM »

The Midas connection worked pretty well with the X32 though.  How many more of these would Peavey sell if it was known to have been designed by Digi or, (insert big name mfr. here)?  I would wager quite a few more especially if it had big name so-and-so's mic pres and such.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2020, 04:07:58 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.