ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ethersound 1 to many  (Read 1269 times)

Brian Hancock

Ethersound 1 to many
« on: December 04, 2020, 05:54:16 PM »

Guys looking into a solution for a situation I'm coming into. 

MY ethersound card for yamaha console 1 slot and duplicate sends out to 2x es168 boxes ... not concerned about the inputs but ideally they route 8 each for box 1 and 2 ... is this possible to setup though a managed switch??

Not that familiar with these older boxes and don't want to walk into this blind.

Thanks... have the mods move to console board if necessary

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Ethersound 1 to many
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 07:29:32 PM »

Guys looking into a solution for a situation I'm coming into. 

MY ethersound card for yamaha console 1 slot and duplicate sends out to 2x es168 boxes ... not concerned about the inputs but ideally they route 8 each for box 1 and 2 ... is this possible to setup though a managed switch??

Not that familiar with these older boxes and don't want to walk into this blind.

Thanks... have the mods move to console board if necessary

I have run ethersound on a managed switch before. It’s just a L2 transport if I recall.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 08:23:26 PM »

[...] MY ethersound card for yamaha console 1 slot and duplicate sends out to 2x es168 boxes ... not concerned about the inputs but ideally they route 8 each for box 1 and 2 ... is this possible to setup though a managed switch?? [...]

Just leafing through the Yamaha EtherSound Setup Guide it looks like that kind of output duplication should be easily achievable with or without a switch (which, to my knowledge, doesn't have to be managed, but it's probably not a bad idea). With a switch it looks like you won't be able to access at least one (if not both) of the SB168-ES's inputs, whereas without a switch it looks like you might well be able to achieve the setup you describe just by configuring the I/O Patch settings for each device in ES-Monitor. (Of course, this is just based on what I'm reading; I don't have any meaningful experience with EtherSound...)

-Russ

Brian Hancock

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 09:19:28 PM »

Thanks russ I thought that same thing after reading through manual that its likely doable ... I knowni can with dante, cobranet so assuming its possible. 

The switch is there as a transport sfp fiber to 2nd switch ... I've got that side fine hmmm have to do a bit more digging.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 02:45:56 AM »

It’s been probably 5 years at least since I’ve worked on ES but if memory serves I had it running across Cisco sg300 series switches just fine.  Originally it was just point to point with a pc hanging off the last point for management.  I ended up needing to use the cable for more and converted it over to using the switched infrastructure.  Of course all the ES devices were on the same VLAN. 

If anyone needs some ES gear PM me.  I’m pretty sure the client still has the retired gear just sitting on a shelf.

Brian Hancock

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 05:38:41 AM »

It’s been probably 5 years at least since I’ve worked on ES but if memory serves I had it running across Cisco sg300 series switches just fine.  Originally it was just point to point with a pc hanging off the last point for management.  I ended up needing to use the cable for more and converted it over to using the switched infrastructure.  Of course all the ES devices were on the same VLAN. 

If anyone needs some ES gear PM me.  I’m pretty sure the client still has the retired gear just sitting on a shelf.

That was the plan carve out a vlan for this seems like an ethernet 100 link would do just fine.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 03:17:38 PM »

That was the plan carve out a vlan for this seems like an ethernet 100 link would do just fine.

I'd be tempted to at least start with Dante best practises for switch setup (e.g. I'm not sure how ES responds to Energy Efficient Ethernet, so I'd probably disable that just in case).

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 03:17:38 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.