ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB Headsets ... A High Quality One! Do they exist?  (Read 2961 times)

TomBoisseau

USB Headsets ... A High Quality One! Do they exist?
« on: November 20, 2020, 03:55:17 PM »

I have been doing a lot of corporate work recently where we are bringing in the CEO and others via Microsoft "Teams" to speak to their employees.  I have been very disappointed in the quality of the headsets they have been using, particularly how poor the microphones sound. Typically these are wireless Plantronics headsets, but we often have the option, and we could send the presenters anything we like in advance of the event.

Is there a good sounding USB headset out there?  I would prefer USB so that they don't have to be charged, and I would prefer that it be a single cup and low profile.  Does such an item exist?

Thanks,
Tom

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: USB Headsets ... A High Quality One! Do they exist?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 05:33:34 PM »

Does it have to be a USB headset?
With an external USB preamp/interface the available options for a headset are much greater.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 05:50:56 PM »

I have been doing a lot of corporate work recently where we are bringing in the CEO and others via Microsoft "Teams" to speak to their employees.  I have been very disappointed in the quality of the headsets they have been using, particularly how poor the microphones sound. Typically these are wireless Plantronics headsets, but we often have the option, and we could send the presenters anything we like in advance of the event.

I've been doing the same thing, although without headsets at all, usually just using the laptop or iPad mic. If I could get them all on AirPod Pros I would be a happy camper.

Mac

TomBoisseau

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 08:11:24 AM »

Does it have to be a USB headset?
With an external USB preamp/interface the available options for a headset are much greater.

I would prefer USB because it simplifies things a bit for the user (who may be on the other side of the country) and eliminates the problem of the battery dying during the middle of the show.  However, if I could find a bluetooth headset that sounded as good as a "pro version" wired headset, I'd probably go with it.

TomBoisseau

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 08:17:01 AM »

I've been doing the same thing, although without headsets at all, usually just using the laptop or iPad mic. If I could get them all on AirPod Pros I would be a happy camper.

Mac

I agree the AirPod Pros are better than most, but they still don't sound nearly as good as a real "pro" wired headset.  I can't believe that someone like Shure, Sennheiser, or any of the other major microphone manufactures don't offer such a device.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 10:01:55 AM »

I would prefer USB because it simplifies things a bit for the user (who may be on the other side of the country) and eliminates the problem of the battery dying during the middle of the show.  However, if I could find a bluetooth headset that sounded as good as a "pro version" wired headset, I'd probably go with it.

FWIW, I've been impressed with my Bose 700 headphones. They appear to pack all the features you're looking for, and run over Bluetooth. I did try a test voice recording, and it sounded fine. Not a U87 or anything, but certainly good enough that Zoom or whatever will be a limiting factor.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

John L Nobile

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 01:54:06 PM »

We use Jabra headsets here. They're comfortable and sound good. We use both w/less and wired. The top of the line models seem to have no interference from our use. We have a call center here with up to 8 people on the w/less models at once. I've never used Plantronic units though. The Jabra line has served us well with no issues so far.

I also have a sennheiser wired hdset that they gave me to try out. And keep. It's good as well though the Jabra's are more comfortable. I use it myself since it makes me feel I'm still in the audio field instead of IT.

If you want cheap, Behringer just announced a single muff/mic hdset. I have no info on it but I assume it's inexpensive and will sound good.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 03:04:14 PM »

We use Jabra headsets here. They're comfortable and sound good. We use both w/less and wired. The top of the line models seem to have no interference from our use. We have a call center here with up to 8 people on the w/less models at once. I've never used Plantronic units though. The Jabra line has served us well with no issues so far.

For all the video calls I've been part of, the higher end wired USB Jabra headsets were the best of any consumer level options I've tried.     
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

TomBoisseau

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 11:44:23 AM »

I also have a sennheiser wired hdset that they gave me to try out. And keep. It's good as well though the Jabra's are more comfortable. I use it myself since it makes me feel I'm still in the audio field instead of IT.

If you want cheap, Behringer just announced a single muff/mic hdset. I have no info on it but I assume it's inexpensive and will sound good.

I’ll check into the Behringer unit, however they appear to be a new item and currently they don’t seem to be available anywhere.  I wonder how long it will be before they begin shipping?

Thanks,
Tom

Daniel Levi

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 12:10:49 PM »

I’ll check into the Behringer unit, however they appear to be a new item and currently they don’t seem to be available anywhere.  I wonder how long it will be before they begin shipping?

Thanks,
Tom

As I understand/I believe they have a system which automatically posts new items on FB once they start shipping from their factory, so it will be a case of how long the ship takes and who's getting the first units.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 10:24:16 AM »

We auditioned a *ton* of wired USB headsets for use in a call center where the employees have cloud-based phones and work from home, and the hands-down winners for clarity and quality were anything Jabra or Plantronics Blackwire series (for lesser expensive options).

If you go the wired USB headset route, make certain your USB headset is "UC" rated (Unified Communications), and not a gaming headset. The audio quality is ten-fold better with a UC headset.

The downside? They're bulky looking compared to AirPods or a professional lav/headset mic.

Shure also just released an SM7B-like microphone that has a USB output... called the MV7 and might be an option, but it's definitely bigger (and more pricey) than the headset mics.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 11:37:43 AM »

We auditioned a *ton* of wired USB headsets for use in a call center where the employees have cloud-based phones and work from home, and the hands-down winners for clarity and quality were anything Jabra or Plantronics Blackwire series (for lesser expensive options).

If you go the wired USB headset route, make certain your USB headset is "UC" rated (Unified Communications), and not a gaming headset. The audio quality is ten-fold better with a UC headset.

Thanks for that, Steve.

Which are a few model numbers that were the best bang for the buck?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 04:58:23 PM »

Thanks for that, Steve.

Which are a few model numbers that were the best bang for the buck?

No problem. If my memory serves, the favorite for most people was the Plantronics Blackwire 3200 series. We bought a number of those (almost 120 or so)... there are several variants of the headset - some have dual headphones vs single, and the cushion styles vary between a foam and a perforated vinyl.

I decided on a C3225 for myself because I liked the dual headphones while on conference calls. They are all between $40-$60 or so...

Here's a link to some of the variants from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Blackwire-USB-C-Headset-Wired/dp/B0775SCX4S?th=1

From Jabra, we had really good luck with the Jabra PRO Bluetooth series. I believe the 9400 series were the favorites. They're wireless bluetooth but the audio quality is spot on, with decent noise rejection for the microphone.

I did a super quick Amazon search and found renewed versions... may want to check to see if these are still available as new:
https://www.amazon.com/Jabra-Wireless-Headset-Headsets-Included/dp/B082JYGX71

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 04:58:23 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.