ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW KF730 System - Consider or No???  (Read 9610 times)

Rufus G. Crowder

Re: EAW KF730 System - Consider or No???
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2020, 01:40:11 PM »

We have been using the 730s for a few years now and our initial purchase was 12 boxes and a pair of MobilTech ML3 lifts. We already had KF650, so we had the UX8800 and some PL380 amps to run them, figuring this would be an easy re-purposing of our amp racks (with the versatility of using them for either rig). Immediately we found the PL380 were inadequate for powering the lows on a six box array. At that size array, you really need all of the power the 10s in the 730s can handle, and the 380s weren't up to the task. We ended up getting Lab Gruppen PLM20,000Q, and now the 730s really shine. The Labs will load greybox presets and offer enough power to the lows to get them where they need to be.
I would call the sound quality terrific when used within their limits, and even a little beyond that. The latest processor updates are from 2015, so hardly a "year 2000" class box, as others have mentioned. One of the enhancements from that 2015 update was a reduced rear low frequency lobe, which makes the box one of the most directional and pattern controlled systems available at any size, which is quite remarkable (just look at the polars in the spec sheet).
Word to the wise: you NEED to be able to get these up in the air (true for ANY line array product). If your plan "A" is ground stacking, buy some traps, they are a better tool for that job.
As others have mentioned, rehab on the 730 can be a bear, you'll want to verify the good condition of the boxes if you don't want to go through a LOT of work getting them up to snuff.
Properly powered and processed I think they will favorably compete with anything in their class, and outshine even some newer offerings from highly acclaimed manufacturers. There is a reason these are still a current product available from EAW, 16 years after their initial release. We have had "A" list engineers tell us that they have never heard KF730s sound as good as our rig, and all we have done is properly process, power, and deploy them.

Been losing sleep over this!!  So many cons...and a few pros.  Truth be told, I am one of those dreamer guys that have always wanted some "pro" level gear and at $7,000/box, would never be able to get there.  11 of these boxes come available with a UX8800 processor, fly bars, pins, etc. and if all works, would be a pretty good deal or so I thought (or thinking). 

A given is that lifts and proper amplification would have to be taken into consideration.  I thought this would be a good start in the "pro" direction which is why the question was posted on this forum.  I needed help with my decision.  Each speaker will be tested to the best of my ability and maybe there will be faults with them and then I can finally get some sleep!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2020, 04:40:10 PM »

Been losing sleep over this!!  So many cons...and a few pros.  Truth be told, I am one of those dreamer guys that have always wanted some "pro" level gear and at $7,000/box, would never be able to get there.  11 of these boxes come available with a UX8800 processor, fly bars, pins, etc. and if all works, would be a pretty good deal or so I thought (or thinking). 

A given is that lifts and proper amplification would have to be taken into consideration.  I thought this would be a good start in the "pro" direction which is why the question was posted on this forum.  I needed help with my decision.  Each speaker will be tested to the best of my ability and maybe there will be faults with them and then I can finally get some sleep!
Just another thought.

Maybe buy the gear (assuming it is all in decent working condition), then sell it, and use the money to get what you really want/need.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2020, 07:14:42 PM »

Thanks everyone...  11 boxes available, with UX8800 processor, 2 fly bars, Crown CTs 2000 and 3000 amps...Less than $7K...  Considering using this system for a few outdoor gigs and large tent gigs where my current ground stack system just doesn't cut it.  I was considering investing in the newer RCF (plastic boxes) HDL boxes until I came upon this.  These 730's would be priced WAY out of my league otherwise.

For the price, will be several thousand less than even that many HDL10s with rigging and transport.
For what they do, the 730s will serve well.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2020, 09:45:34 PM »

So did you download and try the EAW prediction software?  UNTIL YOU KNOW this will work, I don't understand the fascination.  Also you'll want symmetrical hangs, so try your predictions with 5 boxes/side.  Then try with 6, and see if buying 1 loose KF730 should be added to the plan.  My personal opinion is that you need an array of 7-8 feet in length to have some LF-ish control, and the bottom of the array needs to be several feet (or a bunch of feet) above the stage.  And this is brand-agnostic.  It doesn't matter whose line array it is.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rufus G. Crowder

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2020, 11:13:44 PM »

So did you download and try the EAW prediction software?  UNTIL YOU KNOW this will work, I don't understand the fascination.  Also you'll want symmetrical hangs, so try your predictions with 5 boxes/side.  Then try with 6, and see if buying 1 loose KF730 should be added to the plan.  My personal opinion is that you need an array of 7-8 feet in length to have some LF-ish control, and the bottom of the array needs to be several feet (or a bunch of feet) above the stage.  And this is brand-agnostic.  It doesn't matter whose line array it is.
For some reason, I was not able to download the software from the EAW site. 

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2020, 12:18:48 AM »

Here's the download page for the software (which downloaded fine for me).

-Russ

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2020, 02:25:04 AM »

https://eaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/EAWResolutionSetup-v2.8.1.8.exe_.zip

Takes me right to download...  The manual for the software is here:  https://eaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Resolution-2-User-Guide.pdf

If you know another KF730 user looking for more boxes and rigging hardware, buy this rig and piece it out.  I'm not saying there is not profit potential here, I'm telling you that buying any vertical array without knowing how well it will work in the intended use is a setup for disappointment - yours and your clients.  You really don't want that.  Part of being a Super Hero Sound Person is have solutions that deliver, and knowing how this rig performs before you put down money with the intention of using it, is important.

I got to spend a lot of my employer's money over the decades, most of it I spent wisely but I got bit a couple times.  It is not necessary for you to repeat *my* mistakes 8).

My concern is that ultimately you'll need to add more speakers and more power for this to be a viable rig - finding additional 730s in good condition will be more of a challenge and buying 15 year old original I-Techs becomes increasingly less desirable.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rufus G. Crowder

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2020, 02:33:31 AM »

https://eaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/EAWResolutionSetup-v2.8.1.8.exe_.zip

Takes me right to download...  The manual for the software is here:  https://eaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Resolution-2-User-Guide.pdf

If you know another KF730 user looking for more boxes and rigging hardware, buy this rig and piece it out.  I'm not saying there is not profit potential here, I'm telling you that buying any vertical array without knowing how well it will work in the intended use is a setup for disappointment - yours and your clients.  You really don't want that.  Part of being a Super Hero Sound Person is have solutions that deliver, and knowing how this rig performs before you put down money with the intention of using it, is important.

I got to spend a lot of my employer's money over the decades, most of it I spent wisely but I got bit a couple times.  It is not necessary for you to repeat *my* mistakes 8).

My concern is that ultimately you'll need to add more speakers and more power for this to be a viable rig - finding additional 730s in good condition will be more of a challenge and buying 15 year old original I-Techs becomes increasingly less desirable.
Understood and points very well taken.  The download is Windows based so I have to use another laptop to install and view. I use a Mac for everything these days.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2020, 02:37:29 AM »

Been losing sleep over this!!  So many cons...and a few pros. 
I am one of those dreamer guys that have always wanted some "pro" level gear
I thought this would be a good start in the "pro" direction which is why the question was posted on this forum. 

Hi Rufus, I've been following the discussion and will add my two cents about all this.  If you're loosing sleep over the decision, it's probably your gut telling you that this might not be the best purchase to be making, especially in light of where the industry as a whole stands right now. 

As many have already stated, the wrong piece of gear at the right price is still the wrong piece of gear.  While I agree that $7K is nothing in terms of pro-level purchases, you're easily looking at doubling that (at least) by the time you get the rig fully kitted and deployed. 

Good deals can be hard to pass up, but as I business owner I can say that the little bit you might save by buying something on a whim at a "good price" is quickly lost if the rig doesn't shoehorn into place as expected.  Best of luck, but threads like this turn up every now and then and the usual consensus is a "pass" barring a handful of specific exceptions.  Hope this helps!

Rufus G. Crowder

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2020, 11:33:10 AM »

Hi Rufus, I've been following the discussion and will add my two cents about all this.  If you're loosing sleep over the decision, it's probably your gut telling you that this might not be the best purchase to be making, especially in light of where the industry as a whole stands right now. 

As many have already stated, the wrong piece of gear at the right price is still the wrong piece of gear.  While I agree that $7K is nothing in terms of pro-level purchases, you're easily looking at doubling that (at least) by the time you get the rig fully kitted and deployed. 

Good deals can be hard to pass up, but as I business owner I can say that the little bit you might save by buying something on a whim at a "good price" is quickly lost if the rig doesn't shoehorn into place as expected.  Best of luck, but threads like this turn up every now and then and the usual consensus is a "pass" barring a handful of specific exceptions.  Hope this helps!
Yes. This has greatly helped!  Lifts and proper amplification are expensive.  I am going to do what Tim suggested at the very least just to learn a few things. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2020, 11:33:10 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.