ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Early Marshall Line Sources  (Read 9101 times)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Early Marshall Line Sources
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 08:23:35 AM »

Nostalgic to see the words "long throw" on the Marshall advertising pamphlet
I dunno Lindsay....
(not talking arena's or stadiums)
"Point that 4x12 at me, don't be surprised if there's nothing on the board tapes" comes to mind.... ::)
Chris
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 05:04:03 PM »

I could see where some creative stacking configurations could make 40 some odd 4X12 pa cabinets per side less bad.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 05:19:27 PM »

The later Marshall PAs included dual 15" bins (look kinda like scoops, but have grills, so hard to say), radial horns etc, 250 watt amplifiers and 12 channel mixers.  That must have been the stuff Deep Purple was using when the set the worlds record for loudest band.  110dB, with a 10,000 watt Marshall PA.  NO, the Guiness book of world records didn't state the weighting or the distance with that spec.  That was around '76 or so?????
Summer of 1975,  I put together an all-horn system (8 bass drivers, 12 high drivers) for an outdoor show for the Minneapolis band "Rockinghorse". I would estimate that system could hit over 110 dBC at 16 meters.

Although it was the loudest system I'd ever heard up to then, it was by no means a "record breaker" for the time, so "for the record":

The Guinness "loudest band" category started in 1972, when it recorded Deep Purple at the London Rainbow Theatre at 117 dB.
The Who’s 1976 record was 126 dB at a distance of 32 meters outdoors.
That stood until 1984, when in Hanover, Germany, Manowar hit 129.5 decibels.
Guinness no longer includes a category of "loudest band" ;^).

Art

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2020, 01:16:38 AM »

Summer of 1975,  I put together an all-horn system (8 bass drivers, 12 high drivers) for an outdoor show for the Minneapolis band "Rockinghorse". I would estimate that system could hit over 110 dBC at 16 meters.

Although it was the loudest system I'd ever heard up to then, it was by no means a "record breaker" for the time, so "for the record":

The Guinness "loudest band" category started in 1972, when it recorded Deep Purple at the London Rainbow Theatre at 117 dB.
The Who’s 1976 record was 126 dB at a distance of 32 meters outdoors.
That stood until 1984, when in Hanover, Germany, Manowar hit 129.5 decibels.
Guinness no longer includes a category of "loudest band" ;^).

Art

ManoWar's audio engineer Jeff Hair is a Cleveland audio legend.  Really nice guy too.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10155221681288517

https://www.camco-audio.com/news2.html

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Daniel Levi

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2020, 04:24:25 AM »

ManoWar's audio engineer Jeff Hair is a Cleveland audio legend.  Really nice guy too.

I would assume pretty deaf by this point unless he had hearing protection, must have been deafening concerts.

I suppose back in the day given that PA's were not as directional as they can be now, without delay stacks, you needed a lot more volume out front to get a decent level at the back.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2020, 12:32:02 PM »

I would assume pretty deaf by this point unless he had hearing protection, must have been deafening concerts.

I suppose back in the day given that PA's were not as directional as they can be now, without delay stacks, you needed a lot more volume out front to get a decent level at the back.
I believe it was Angus from AC/DC that once said "Lads, if we can land a man on the moon, why can't they hear my guitar at the back of the hall?"
AC/DC was never known to have a quiet stage.....
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2020, 10:07:35 PM »

I went to a manowar concert at the Country Club in Reseda Ca. It was so loud my earplugs ran away. I stayed for 2 songs and ran away.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2020, 11:07:23 AM »

Topic swerve.

I've never met Jeff but Scott Columbus, Manowar's drummer throughout the '80's used to sit in with a high school rock band that I ran sound for (when I was in high school in the 80's).  Scott was a good guy. RIP.

Lee Buckalew
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2020, 03:47:28 PM »

I went to a manowar concert at the Country Club in Reseda Ca. It was so loud my earplugs ran away. I stayed for 2 songs and ran away.
Tom Danley likes to tell the story from the '80s when Manowar visited Intersonics, interested in the Servodrive cabinets.

They were "decked out" as usual, and walking down a hallway, when some NASA guys in white coats came into the same hallway, and the NASA guys pinned themselves against the wall, hoping they would not be killed-----------

Intersonics made gear for the space Shuttle (their primary business) and loud sub cabinets in the same building, under the same management.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2020, 03:47:28 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 19 queries.