ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: At the risk of yet another lockdown (thread)...  (Read 3509 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: At the risk of yet another lockdown (thread)...
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 05:19:34 PM »

[...] If people can’t figure out how to do it properly in a place where it should be easy then the rest of us are screwed regardless of what we personally do.
[

Here's a potentially-unpopular opinion: perhaps the reason we're "screwed" isn't because "people can't figure out how to do it properly" but because we've created a society that's so suspicious of authority that people are being unreasonably expected to figure it out for themselves?

-Russ

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 07:46:56 PM »

And in the ongoing saga, my tentative NYE gig for my boss's geezer rock band went away after the venue did the math - after the band, spouses, and their staff, only 35 people could admitted IF the spacing stars aligned with the spacing planets.

On the "better news" front, the Moderna vaccine seems to also show great promise.  If the Astra-Zeneca vaccine also has efficacy it could mean more doses, earlier.  That would be a Very Good Thing.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 08:18:06 PM »

...and the even greater fear that if some punter comes up to me at a post C-19 gig and asks the inevitable stoopid question...

I just have to ask - what's the official definition of a punter and where did it come from?  I know what we all mean by that but it's been bugging me for a while now to not know the origin of this!

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 08:51:13 PM »

I just have to ask - what's the official definition of a punter and where did it come from?  I know what we all mean by that but it's been bugging me for a while now to not know the origin of this!

Probably the last choice  ;)

Irish:   punt - formerly the basic unit of money in Ireland; equal to 100 pence.

...Digging back a bit further it looks like punt came from the English Midlands word bunt (which means to push or butt with the head).  The leap from the act of punting to punter came in 1888 when the word Punter was first recorded.

British: 
A person who gambles, places a bet, or makes a risky investment. 
A prostitute's client.  It certainly could be (considered) derogatory.
A customer or client, especially a member of an audience. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 08:56:52 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 03:09:58 AM »

A customer or client, especially a member of an audience.

I could see that, though I don’t think I’d refer to one of my clients as a punter.  I’ve more viewed the term as the annoying budget bands/singers with inflated egos, merch table workers, and the collective entity of community morons that need to be told to go be stupid somewhere else. 

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 09:16:59 AM »

Punter is a person who operates a small boat (punt), British origin IIRC... Usually pejorative slang for a low achiever, customer, whatever.

===

Speaking of lockdowns, right now there is controversy about locking down schools. A study of school children in Germany discovered that the vast majority of school children with covid, contracted it outside of school. The school environment is actually safer than the rest of their lives, including their homes.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 09:16:59 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 24 queries.