Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > DJ Forum

On the Turning Away

<< < (4/4)

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Milt Hathaway on November 14, 2020, 11:07:01 AM ---I'll bet he's talking about BGW's 78 pound monster: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a3dhiq0l92fedy0/BGW-GTA.pdf?dl=0

I still have a few keeping my warehouse foundation from floating off into space.

--- End quote ---

Which were turds......but, everyone has their favorites.  :)

I used to work with a guy that lugged a bunch of BGW 750's around for years.  Geezus those racks were heavy, like hauling a cast iron 426 hemi to gig.  He ended up with a bunch of Carver 1.5's when they came out.  Keep a spare amp or two around and you're all set.

Saw a few club installs with BGW's in them - reliable amps they were and sounded decent.  I'd never rack one up and load it in a truck.  :)

John L Nobile:

--- Quote from: Steve-White on January 22, 2021, 11:32:04 AM ---

Saw a few club installs with BGW's in them - reliable amps they were and sounded decent.  I'd never rack one up and load it in a truck.  :)

--- End quote ---

That's what I used in the late 70's and 80's. Heavy, yes, but reliable and sounded great. But there weren't any light amps then that put out 200w/8 ohms a side. I did buy a Carver 1.5 but it never sounded as good on the lo end.

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: John L Nobile on January 22, 2021, 01:04:11 PM ---
That's what I used in the late 70's and 80's. Heavy, yes, but reliable and sounded great. But there weren't any light amps then that put out 200w/8 ohms a side. I did buy a Carver 1.5 but it never sounded as good on the lo end.

--- End quote ---

Nothing you could pull of of the box and put into service.  But, I ran Phase Linear's for many years in club installs and portable sound.  The chassis had to be reinforced, face plates modified for rack use (the Clair Brothers amps weren't for sale yet), RCA inputs changed to 1/4", and fans installed.  I only had two amp failures in a 10 year span and it was simple output failure - still run a couple of them in my den system.  Properly setup, the PL 700 would blow the BGW 750's away.  Again, we all had our preferences.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version