ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Behringer FLOW 8 Digital Mixer  (Read 23046 times)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: NEW: Behringer FLOW 8 Digital Mixer
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2020, 04:00:53 PM »

2 bits that the Flow is a no go for Art.
The Flow8 is short 10 mic inputs, two monitor outputs, and doesn't have the EQ, comps or gates I'm looking for in a small mixer, so no go for me.
The Flow8 does look like a good bang for the buck, it would cover the needs for a lot of small gigs without being overly complicated.

Art

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2020, 05:48:47 PM »

This thing is so close to being the perfect small gig mixer for the types of events I do but a few things I don't get...

- Why graphic EQs in this day and age? They appear to be wide bandwidth which is good for tone shaping but useless for notching out feedback. With parametric you can do both and an RTA would help there but it's not absolutely necessary.
- No speaker delays on the aux outs, may be able to use one of the EFX for this but then you can't use that engine for what it's intended for.

I got no problem with the form factor but this unit appears to me to be targeted directly at the podcast crowd, it has enough features for that use but it's just a little too basic for live sound apps, maybe they will make another version with a bit more functionality under the hood.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2020, 08:31:11 PM »

I don't know guys.  I think it pretty much spanks the pants off of my venerable ZED 10fx and does so for less money.

I think that Behringer should have put a full PEQ capability on the channel eq.  Maybe an "easy eq" button that changed it over to a simple eq for those that don't need, or don't understand a PEQ.  Aside from that, there really isn't much to complain about IMO. 

I have monitored the small form factor market for years.  Really, I have mostly recommended either the ZED or the Soundcraft signature 10 for things like this, but really, the Flow 8 offers much more for much less money.

Am I missing something?

Sure, I don't think this would have been a contender against a MixWiz.... but that was also a 1K mixer! (and was heavy as a tank).  I don't think that this mixer is targeting this market.

Solo, duo work, Karaoke, DJ, etc.  Plenty of market for such a little capable mixer.

What else would you guys recommend for these kinds of gigs?

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2020, 11:35:45 PM »

This does fill a few markets. I know of a dance studio where the owner wanted exactly everything this thing has to offer. BT, full phone-based control, and simple on the fly ability to control key channels. The average punters don't understand parametric EQ, so graphic EQ is at least better than nothing. I know a few female artists that rely on their looks more so than their raw talent ( for lack of a better way of putting it ) and always need help with sound, they know enough to get from point A to B, and this would get them much further with a simple format they can wrap their heads around. I know a few groups that are all male that suffer from similar deficiencies, but with a different kind of attitude..... Point is that it is a pretty nice tool that allows you to get to a point, save it, and have at least semi repeatable results and easy on the fly changes can still be made.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2020, 05:54:09 AM »

They wanted to make a simple to use mixer. However, given the current feedback I think that you’ll get a peq on the flow8 fairly soon.

Since it is dsp-based they can adapt it to user needs not being restricted to any surface controls.

This thing is so close to being the perfect small gig mixer for the types of events I do but a few things I don't get...

- Why graphic EQs in this day and age? They appear to be wide bandwidth which is good for tone shaping but useless for notching out feedback. With parametric you can do both and an RTA would help there but it's not absolutely necessary.
- No speaker delays on the aux outs, may be able to use one of the EFX for this but then you can't use that engine for what it's intended for.

I got no problem with the form factor but this unit appears to me to be targeted directly at the podcast crowd, it has enough features for that use but it's just a little too basic for live sound apps, maybe they will make another version with a bit more functionality under the hood.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2020, 08:55:12 AM »

Largest restriction IMO is BT audio and BT control isnt possible. Only one at a time.

Edit: not true, see Robert's post.

I'd like 3 things:
1) PEQ on inputs and outputs.
2) Compressor advanced mode (I usually find the one-knob compressors add insane amounts of makeup gain)
3) Delay on outputs

Am I missing something?

They wanted to make a simple to use mixer. However, given the current feedback I think that you’ll get a peq on the flow8 fairly soon.

Since it is dsp-based they can adapt it to user needs not being restricted to any surface controls.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 03:56:02 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2020, 09:34:50 AM »

Largest restriction IMO is BT audio and BT control isnt possible. Only one at a time.

Wut? Seriously?
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2020, 10:20:06 AM »

Yeah that is a real gotcha if it's true. I expect there is some unused DSP power available but even if there isn't it would be nice if we got to at least select the features we want in a later SW release. Given the price point I expect I'm going to grab one or two of these anyway, it's still got more functionality than the small analog mixers I currently use for DJs and small live events.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2020, 02:08:27 PM »

Yeah that is a real gotcha if it's true. I expect there is some unused DSP power available but even if there isn't it would be nice if we got to at least select the features we want in a later SW release. Given the price point I expect I'm going to grab one or two of these anyway, it's still got more functionality than the small analog mixers I currently use for DJs and small live events.
I can assure you that BT communications is not much of a load on a CPU.  If they can't accept a stream and allow bt control at the same time, it is because the bt radio they are using can't do it IMO.  I could tell for sure once someone takes some pictures under the hood ;).

I suspect that when the bt radio is placed in streaming mode, it can't operate with the send/receive characteristics it needs to do bt control.

James Paul

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2020, 02:09:25 PM »

Well then, in that case, then the obvious is to implement the user choice of a simple/advanced UI tab, with additional advanced features of mic channel polarity, PEQ, EFX to mons 1&2, choice of PEQ or GEQ on outputs, I/O delays to the extent available via DSP resources. Throw in a Talent button, and then I click Buy Now.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2020, 02:09:25 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.