ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Behringer FLOW 8 Digital Mixer  (Read 22963 times)

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: NEW: Behringer FLOW 8 Digital Mixer
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2020, 03:01:40 PM »

Currently the channel processing is fairly basic with four fixed eq bands, hpf, single knob compressor. Enought for the basic stuff.

Seems like that'd be a good solution for the small, corporate/breakout "just set it up and we'll turn it on" events.

That said, so is the Soundcraft Notepad mixer at $150US less.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2020, 04:04:43 PM »

Currently the channel processing is fairly basic with four fixed eq bands, hpf, single knob compressor. [...]

The more I think about this, the more I wonder: has this console fallen into the PreSonus StudioLive trap? With no motorized faders, no parametric EQ, and no actual dynamics section, this console doesn't appear to do much of anything that a small analogue console couldn't do just as well, except that with no physical EQ controls (let alone per-channel) it doesn't have any of the advantages of a small analogue console either. It starts to feel like the worst of both worlds...

-Russ

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2020, 06:06:26 PM »

The more I think about this, the more I wonder: has this console fallen into the PreSonus StudioLive trap? With no motorized faders, no parametric EQ, and no actual dynamics section, this console doesn't appear to do much of anything that a small analogue console couldn't do just as well, except that with no physical EQ controls (let alone per-channel) it doesn't have any of the advantages of a small analogue console either. It starts to feel like the worst of both worlds...

-Russ
Seems like that'd be a good solution for the small, corporate/breakout "just set it up and we'll turn it on" events.

That said, so is the Soundcraft Notepad mixer at $150US less.

Dave

I have a Soundcraft Notepad.  I'd love a 4 band EQ with a separate HPF on each input and XLR outputs.... but not for double the price.

If the faders don't move I'd rather have rotary encoders with a concentric position display (think:  PM5D).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2020, 07:47:58 PM »

-Russ

There are definite use cases for something like this.  A lot of places need a dirt simple mixer that have very few knobs so people can turn up and down the volume.  But, either you end up with more knobs that people will screw up, or just get confused with, or you end up with a mixer that doesn't have any control capabilities at all.

This would be nice for the cases where you can set things up, make the EQ adjustments you need, then leave just the sliders there for the people to operate. Without the app, they don't get to go in and muck with stuff accidentally.

And physical controls are WAY better than touch interface for this sort of thing.

Brian Jojade

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2020, 08:18:22 PM »

There are definite use cases for something like this.  A lot of places need a dirt simple mixer that have very few knobs so people can turn up and down the volume.  But, either you end up with more knobs that people will screw up, or just get confused with, or you end up with a mixer that doesn't have any control capabilities at all.

This would be nice for the cases where you can set things up, make the EQ adjustments you need, then leave just the sliders there for the people to operate. Without the app, they don't get to go in and muck with stuff accidentally.

And physical controls are WAY better than touch interface for this sort of thing.

Okay, so basically this is an analogue console with a simple-to-use lockout feature. I can definitely see the market for that, but at that point wouldn't it be cheaper to take an existing small analogue mixer and replace all the knobs with trim-pots?

-Russ

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2020, 09:04:18 PM »

Okay, so basically this is an analogue console with a simple-to-use lockout feature. I can definitely see the market for that, but at that point wouldn't it be cheaper to take an existing small analogue mixer and replace all the knobs with trim-pots?

-Russ
channel compressors and output limiters.
-no small analog has those
and for set&leave small-PA duties those really help with the idiot-proofing. (and make your rental systems that little bit better sounding than your competition's)

This will reduce my needed kit considerably for quite a few of my clients
-now only if they came out with a "PA head" box-mixer style version with a couple built-in power amps!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

MattLeonard

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2020, 10:27:36 PM »

I think there's a good niche for this - for DJ's, small events, press conferences etc - I often dream of a small digital mixer actual knobs/faders for quick adjustments, with ~2-4 XLR/mic inputs, 1-2 aux sends, a decent EQ, and a decent compressor.

My go-to is an A&H Zed10fx - since it at least has an HPF and semi-parametric mid-band EQ, and usable (but not great) effects. But if I could have that with some compression -that would be the dream.

Why can't someone make a small mixer that has deeper functionality (EQ, dynamic control, effects etc) via a tablet/phone - but still some basic analog knobs too?

-Matt

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2020, 10:31:05 PM »

-Russ

Eh not really; there's plenty of crappy small mixers out there.

What there isn't is a jack-of-all trades small mixer.
With this I can replace 3-5 mixer types.

1) Client needs a small sound-system for whatever, 2x K12's a mic and an iPod hookup; no one has 1/8" jacks anymore so the BT is fantastic, the faders and no controls are perfect for pre-setup; label; and push faders. Zed10FX isn't that (too many controls, no BT).
2) Client needs small setup for a singer-songwriter or small trio, or tiny band, or whatever... Nearly all require monitor sends and reverb. But needs to be simple enough for client & musician to use. The compressor and 4-band EQ + HPF are icing on the cake. Sure i'd like PEQ & advanced comp settings, but I'm happy with just some basics.
2b) Same as above, but there's now someone who can mix from their phone/tablet and can run an entire act/stage at a festival
3) USB interface for SMAART or tracks, or recording, whatever.
4) Backup mixer in gig-bag.
5) Corporate breakout room (one lectern mic, maybe sound, maybe
6) DJ like Matt said...

Replaces:
1) Zed10FX + BT
2) Nothing really; Zed10FX or Soundcraft-NP are both: no faders, only one monitor send, only one FX, no compressors.
2b) xAir18
3) UMC404HD
4) Zed10FX
5) Soundcraft Notepad-5
6) Soundcraft Notepad-5

Robert, where can I pre-order one? Who's Behringer's new US distributor?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2020, 08:03:55 AM »

I honestly don’t know. I live in Sweden so I have limited knowledge about the US market. I know that Holloway is a rep, so maybe you can call them?

Unfortunately the US pricing is a bit higher at $300 compared to the Europe price of €200. I’m told that the China trade tariffs are to blame...

Btw, the app has been released to google and apple appstores so you should be able to download it any day now.

Robert, where can I pre-order one? Who's Behringer's new US distributor?

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2020, 12:46:51 PM »

...I often dream of a small digital mixer actual knobs/faders for quick adjustments, with ~2-4 XLR/mic inputs, 1-2 aux sends, a decent EQ, and a decent compressor.
A number of us are still looking for a 1402-killer, although I don't know how much value there is in producing equipment for in-person events at this time.

My hope is that this unit will spur some manufacturer to put out a slightly larger variant with more direct control. Add in input and output PEQ, variable HPF, compression and automixing and you'll corner the market on breakout mixers, lol. Heck, throw in AEC and auto mix-minus and you'll nab the hybrid streaming market, too.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2020, 12:46:51 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 24 queries.