ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best PAR56 LED wash for Church?  (Read 3794 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
Best PAR56 LED wash for Church?
« on: November 09, 2020, 11:19:22 AM »

Hey guys, somewhat new to this part of the site but was hoping to see what would be the best fit for a 40-50' throw for a PAR56 LED light in a church environment? They currently have 12 300watt bulbs PAR56 cans they would like to replace with LED PAR's..

All controlled via manual DMX controller, however for the most part the lights will be static colors on the altar, and musicians.

Thanks in advance.
-Sam
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Best PAR56 LED wash for Church?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 04:00:18 PM »

What is the purpose of the lighting? Is this effects type lighting, or are you looking to light the talent?  A challenge you will find with LED lighting is getting a good enough intense white that doesn't make people look like aliens.  Cheaper lights tend to be worse at this.

As far as LED par can replacements, I've been super happy with the American D Z100 par cans.  100 watt white LED that gives me output similar to a traditional 1000 watt par can.  It's in traditional par can shape, and has a manual adjustable beam angle.

They also have an RGBW model, although I don't have any direct experience with that one yet.

Brian Jojade

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 04:29:07 PM »

What is the purpose of the lighting? Is this effects type lighting, or are you looking to light the talent?  A challenge you will find with LED lighting is getting a good enough intense white that doesn't make people look like aliens.  Cheaper lights tend to be worse at this.

As far as LED par can replacements, I've been super happy with the American D Z100 par cans.  100 watt white LED that gives me output similar to a traditional 1000 watt par can.  It's in traditional par can shape, and has a manual adjustable beam angle.

They also have an RGBW model, although I don't have any direct experience with that one yet.

Hi Brian,
As mentioned, some of these are going to be used to lighten up the altar and the musicians, he said it would be a nice feature to add "some color" during the performances of the band/musicians.

I'll take a look at pricing those out for them (American DJ D Z100 models)

Thank you.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 04:34:00 PM »

For coloring the stage I kind of like the Chauvet CorePar series.  Decent value.
For key lights and lighting people, getting a higher quality w/c white or a RGBAW is called for.
I like the Chauvet Colorado Solo series, as they have a zoom which makes the fixtures much more versatile. 
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 05:04:30 PM »

Any Chauvet fixture that has the Warm White COB Led is a fantastic light.

We are using a bunch of the Ovation Leko's and the Fresnels. They are great lights. They make similar lights in the DJ range which are about half the price and I'm about to buy some of those for our youth stage as well. The cheaper Leko's are zoom fixtures and the fresnels have different lenses. That's the big difference.

They ain't cheap, but they will be miles better than your current Par56 cans.

I wouldn't use a multi colored LED for a front wash. You'd be paying for extra colors you don't need, and you'll get a more powerful fixture for the money with a single white or WW/CW type fixture.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John L Nobile

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 05:15:27 PM »

I've looked at some LED par cans but what I can't figure out is how they would compare to an NFL Par 64 1K can or a 1K Leko on a narrow focus. Does anyone been able to compare the 2 together?

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 06:19:58 PM »

John, I have done that with the ADJ PAR Z100 3K.  This is the 3K color which is very much an "incandesent" looking warm white as apposed the the 5K that have more blue in the spectrum.  That is to be expected.  In general, in the narrowest mode is is narrower than a VNSP par 64. almost ACL narrow. Conventional PAR's produce a oval beam.  The Z100 beam is round, but not with the sharp edge a leko can produce.  At the 8 degree setting the Z100 would be similar to a 10 degree leko.  At it's widest setting, the Z100 is similar to (maybe slightly narrower than) a MFL PAR.  The FF series and 1000Q series of conventional PAR have beams that slightly vary for equal beam designations, i.e. FFR vs. Q1000 Par 64 MFL.  The visible output of the Z100 is very much equal to the PAR 64's or a 1K lelo.  I have not compaired them using a meter.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 07:14:07 PM »

I've looked at some LED par cans but what I can't figure out is how they would compare to an NFL Par 64 1K can or a 1K Leko on a narrow focus. Does anyone been able to compare the 2 together?

I have some Chauvet Ovation 160WW and 260WW Leko's. I'd place the 160WW about equal to a 575 and the 260 is equal if not brighter than a 1000. They are no joke. Had I known all this before hand I probably wouldn't have bought as many 260's as I did. I could have saved some money.

I have 2 lights that are throwing about 40 feet, but most are in the 20 to 30 foot range.

All the key lights are Chauvet Ovation Leko's. The color washes are Elation Fuze and the Cyc (background wash) is Altman Spectra Cyc's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijs_aAM6gDM&ab_channel=LoneStarCowboyChurch
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 02:08:02 PM »

Hey guys, somewhat new to this part of the site but was hoping to see what would be the best fit for a 40-50' throw for a PAR56 LED light in a church environment? They currently have 12 300watt bulbs PAR56 cans they would like to replace with LED PAR's..

All controlled via manual DMX controller, however for the most part the lights will be static colors on the altar, and musicians.

Thanks in advance.
-Sam

ETC Colorsource becomes surprisingly attainable when you start getting into the higher end fixtures from other manufacturers.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 06:54:50 PM »

I wouldn't use a multi colored LED for a front wash. You'd be paying for extra colors you don't need, and you'll get a more powerful fixture for the money with a single white or WW/CW type fixture.

I mostly agree here.  I generally like using white lights for the front wash.  The only case I could see for having mix available is if you wanted to adjust the color temperature.  But RGB is unnecessary for that.

Put enough lights out for the wash, then use whatever RGB fixtures to get the color effects you want to use.

So many stages I've seen where they skip the wash and it looks like hell....
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 06:54:50 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.