ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shipping a console with case via UPS or Fedex  (Read 3150 times)

John Lackner

Shipping a console with case via UPS or Fedex
« on: November 01, 2020, 08:50:25 PM »

I have A GL2400 console in an ATA style case that may need shipping. Has anyone shipped gear via UPS or FEDEX with just the case as the shipping container/box? Results - good or bad?? Or is there a better alternative?
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

Bob Stone

Re: Shipping a console with case via UPS or Fedex
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 08:53:01 PM »

I have A GL2400 console in an ATA style case that may need shipping. Has anyone shipped gear via UPS or FEDEX with just the case as the shipping container/box? Results - good or bad?? Or is there a better alternative?

What frame size? I'd be iffy on it unless it's a small one but even then they are going to quite literally throw it around the entire trip and stack heavy things on it.

John Lackner

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 09:03:01 PM »

What frame size? I'd be iffy on it unless it's a small one but even then they are going to quite literally throw it around the entire trip and stack heavy things on it.

24 channel. It weighs about 75 pounds with the case. 36x26x10
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 09:06:55 PM »

I've shipped stuff in road cases before.  Yes, the road case might end up dinged up in shipping, just like it coud in any truck.  I've never personally run into the case being damaged beyond that.

If you want to protect against dings, you can cover the case in cardboard.  Realize though, that if you cover the handles, you just made the case that's designed to be easily moved around harder for the shipper to deal with.
Brian Jojade

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 09:35:41 PM »

A good friend of mine builds cellos which he sells to major symphony players.
His cellos sell for more than $30,000 per instrument.

A few years ago I asked him what he uses for a shipping method and he told me that he uses the USPS.
(I am not quite sure as to what particular method he uses ie; parcel post, special, etc. but he told me that the USPS was the safest way as everyone that touches the case has to sign his/her name to the shipment during the shipping process.)
...'probably costs a ton to do so...

He uses a special case...which actually looks like a small coffin....to ship his cellos.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 11:47:16 PM »

I have shipped via UPS that exact mixer and case type. I had good results. What I did though was pay to have them package it so that it was their work on the line. I also had it insured. It cost me about around $200 all in if I am not mistaken, but all I did was bring them the mixer in the case and give them an address. They did the rest. I got good reviews from the sale. I have had good luck with shipping no matter who I have worked with though.

The only time I had an issue was years and years ago when I ordered a set of ( don't laugh at me.... ) Cerwin Vega coaxial monitors; the only affordable coaxial monitors you could get at the time. The UPS man dropped them off, almost literally dropped them, and when he sat the boxes down you could hear the baskets and magnet forms knocking around. Of the 4 I ordered, two of them were in multiple pieces and DOA. They were dropped, kicked, and beaten around so much the magnet structure sheared off the basket. What's even worse is that I went to test the two remaining ones that worked, the first peep of feedback I got toasted the HF protection bulb in one of them... I returned the 3 broken ones and sold the 4th to someone else. Worst purchase I have ever made in my life. Didn't even get two minutes of use with them and they were already getting packaged back up to get the hell out of my possession.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

MikeHarris

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 01:38:27 AM »

is The Big Dog still carrying unaccompanied freight ? many years since i sent something Greyhound

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 02:32:38 AM »

is The Big Dog still carrying unaccompanied freight ? many years since i sent something Greyhound

Greyhound package express.  Sadly no.  It was a great service.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 04:39:37 PM »

I shipped a Crest HP 40 by Fed Ex truck freight.  It was not in its original box.  An employee threw out the box marked: "DO NOT DISCARD - Console in Stock" on all 6 sides about a month before the sale.  We had 3 to 4 inches of correct density foam on each side and built a proper 1/2" plywood case with 2 X 3's on all corners, screws, and straps in all directions.  The FedEx driver that picked it up was impressed.  Two weeks after the customer received the mixer they called an said it was broken.  Because they were building the venue it had been moved several times buy who knows who.  FedEx was called to examine the mixer and packing case.  The customer had removed and thrown away all the packing materials, so FedEx said the insurance was void and FedEx wasn't responsible.  The customer was three states away and they said they weren't responsible either and refused to pay.  Trying to collect became complex because of a twisted trail of venue ownership.  I was warned by my attorney that legal fees could be greater than any judgement I might recieve.  I just ate that sale.  I have won multiple judgements against creditors, and have never ever been able to collect.  The lesson in this: Get paid in advance and use the method Luke suggested for shipping and packing.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 06:20:27 PM »

You may exceed UPS's weight limit for residential delivery.  I've shipped 100+ pound 4x12 cabinets (and other stuff) via FedEx Ground, with good results.

Unfortunately, this becomes a "Ford vs Chevy" thing, as different people seem to have horror stories about the other carrier.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2020, 07:45:49 PM »

1998 and a younger version of me was excited to sell two Adcom GFA555 amplifiers to someone via this new fangled website thing called "eBay." It was exciting to say the least... packed the amps in their original boxes and took them to our UPS facility to have them boxed and shipped (essentially double-boxed). Shipped them via UPS to a guy in New Mexico.

About 10 days later, I received a call from the buyer, and he said, "I don't know how to break this to you, but I refused delivery of your amplifiers. The boxes are completely throttled and I'm guessing the amps are junk." Sure enough, about 4-5 days later, the UPS man returned the amps to me, and while doing so, he dropped them from about hip height to the ground. They landed with a cringeful "thud/crink/jingle" sound. The boxes had foot marks on them, the tape had been pulled back, and parts of the boxes were shredded. It looked like they fell out of the truck while it was moving...

I had bought the insurance, so I filled out the paperwork and arranged for UPS to pick-up the boxes for "inspection." UPS picked-up the boxes and I never saw the amplifiers again. After 3-4 phone calls to UPS, they paid the insurance claim and I made a little extra (I think I rounded-up on the amp value).

TLDR; buy the insurance and have UPS/FedEx box them up. Say a prayer and hope for the best.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 09:42:27 PM »

You may want to try "commercial freight" when using either UPS or FedEx.  My experience with non-commercial freight (when receiving items) was not good; it was evident the items I ordered were tossed around with the rest of the residential deliveries.  I paid extra for "commercial freight" on a subsequent console.  It arrived at the FedEx distribution center palletized,  It was in perfect condition.  Only caveat... I had to pick up the console at the distribution center.

John Lackner

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2020, 11:21:53 AM »

You may want to try "commercial freight" when using either UPS or FedEx.  My experience with non-commercial freight (when receiving items) was not good; it was evident the items I ordered were tossed around with the rest of the residential deliveries.  I paid extra for "commercial freight" on a subsequent console.  It arrived at the FedEx distribution center palletized,  It was in perfect condition.  Only caveat... I had to pick up the console at the distribution center.
Thanks for all the advice and stories! That "commercial freight" option sounds like a plan!

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2020, 01:11:14 PM »

Thanks for all the advice and stories! That "commercial freight" option sounds like a plan!
How far does it have to go?
There's a lot of people out of regular work right now, could be economical enough to just have someone drive it.  Even better if the buyer wants to meet them partway.

-That being said, I live in an area where I don't have an issue taking a one-way 6-hour drive just to get to Costco!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2020, 01:34:45 PM »

UPS and Fed-Ex dececied to merge their services under the banner Fed-UPS.

Really, your "experience" depends heavily on the "last mile" of the journey.
Get a hack of a driver, and that's where all the complaints come from.
I my little corner of the world, I have used Puro-sooner-or-later, Brown Truck, Dicom and Fed-ex all with decent service and no damage.
Of course, YMMV....
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2020, 01:39:50 PM »

It really does depend on your location when it comes to the big 2 - UPS and Fedex.
Where I live now (going on 14 years) Fedex SUCKS so bad. The drivers have damaged my lawn more times than I can remember and on one occasion demolished one side of my retaining wall raised flower bed next to the driveway. However, UPS have been 100% reliable and efficient.
Where I used to live in CA, it was the other way round ......
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2020, 01:39:50 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.