ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: So what have we learned this year?  (Read 1900 times)

scottstephens

So what have we learned this year?
« on: October 30, 2020, 02:43:15 pm »

Hey All,

So as we enter the last 2 moths of the year I had ask myself  what did I learn through all of this covid  crap? 

I learned that I like to work, no surprise. I like making money, even smaller surprise.  I can live with less money, but it's not as much fun.  I learned that my wife and I will do ok in retirement when we will be around each other all the time.

Business wise I learned that networking is more important than ever, diversification is important; I don't really like doing installs, but I am pretty good at it. And that is very true with some good people to help do it.  And one of the best things that I learned is that my most of my clients will hire me again...someday.

So what did you all learn?

Scott

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: So what have we learned this year?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 03:11:53 pm »

I learned that I like to work, no surprise. I like making money, even smaller surprise.  I can live with less money, but it's not as much fun.  I learned that my wife and I will do ok in retirement when we will be around each other all the time.

So what did you all learn?

Scott
Same as you!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 08:05:57 pm »

Nothing.  My brain has turned to mush from watching too much TV. :(
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Helmke

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 08:43:26 am »

I learned just how many projects I'd started and then not finished.  I even had all the parts to build a boutique mic preamp that I didn't quite start some 16 years ago. 

Some of those projects have now been finished. 

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 02:01:51 pm »

I have learned a ton this year, too much to list, but that's life. Life gives us the test first and only later the answers.

JR
When in doubt do what's right.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 02:17:12 pm »

What have I learned?  A bunch of new stuff (that I'll probably not use in what's left of my professional lifetime), unlearned some old stuff, and confirmed that the American public - on average - is below average.  IOW, not much has changed. :o

Probably the best "confirmation" has been the incredible willingness of industry professionals and manufacturers to step up with education, training, webinars, etc, much of which used to be pay-to-play.  The resources our kindred audio folks have provided are significant.  Anyone who has sat out the last 7 months without learning more about intercoms or wireless frequency coordination... or mixing techniques... or system design & alignment... or acquired more insight about inclusion of new folks into our quaint little industry... hasn't been paying attention.

It's still a great time to be in audio.  Hopefully we'll be back to work with audiences relatively soon (months, not years).
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 04:17:16 pm »

I've learned how small the world really is and how many people there are ALL over the world who share my interests and enjoy talking about them.

A corollary to that is how easy it is these days to talk to people regardless of where they are physically located, and how involving those conversations are to everyone who opens themselves up to participating in them.

Also, it is indeed possible to do nothing but watch TV, but that doing so doesn't take the place of human interaction. Further, human interaction over the Internet is acceptably close to the real thing in these times to give the feeling of having interchanged ideas and gaining from the transaction, just as in real life.

Even further, properly done Virtual Reality gets even closer to in-person interaction. Both of you felt like you actually went somewhere rather than just talking onscreen.

However, seeing big structures like at Burning Man is not fulfilling at all, since it's clear you're looking at someone's drawing rather than an actual hundred and fifty foot tall pile of 2x4's that would be unpleasant to have fall on you.

In fact, it's actually fun to have something like that fall on you in VR. It doesn't hurt a bit.

I also learned that it's considered rude to run through someone in VR.

EDIT: While all the above is true, I think, the world has also learned how easily evil can find itself online and inflate the ideas and actions of its adherents, and their willingness to publicly act on those ideas, causing real harm to the rest of us who are trying to avoid evil.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 04:20:46 pm by Dan Mortensen »

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 06:45:00 am »

Much the same as above - especially the unfinished projects bit. Why finish something when you can start something new?!

I have also decided to do a law degree by distance learning (Open University in the UK). I have been put off in the past due to the cost, but looking into it further, I can get a student loan, which would cost me 21 per month in repayments whilst I'm working, so the application has been submitted.

Steve.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 08:47:36 am »

What have I learned?  A bunch of new stuff (that I'll probably not use in what's left of my professional lifetime), unlearned some old stuff, and confirmed that the American public - on average - is below average.  IOW, not much has changed. :o

Statistically only about half are below average, but they are often louder than average.

JR
When in doubt do what's right.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 10:00:09 am »

Statistically only about half are below average, but they are often louder than average.

JR
Niiiiice! +1
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 10:00:09 am »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 23 queries.