ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lapel mic problems  (Read 2570 times)

William Mize

Lapel mic problems
« on: October 29, 2020, 11:14:26 AM »

So we have 4 Shure ULXS4 Receivers and 2 Shure ULX Transmitters with headworn lapel microphones.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mFdmczE2ca4kUuwc8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XrjcjBT9hQnajiZb8
One of our transmitters and lapel microphones was dropped or something and broke. Kinda hard to see in the picture but it is around where the piece goes over your ear. Basically the metal part is broke in half. I thought I may be able to take to work and cut the wire and solder it back together. But after looking at it, the wire appears to be ok but the metal around the wire is broke. My fear is the metal is a ground and it can not be fixed. Anyone know?

Is there someplace that I can just buy the ear part microphone?
I looked at Shure but only one there is 218 bucks.
I found this one on ebay.
Beige Single Earhook Headset Microphone for Shure Wireless-TA4F 4pin mini XLR
Would that work?

Matthias McCready

Re: Lapel mic problems
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 06:56:14 PM »

Perhaps someone more knowledgable than I will chime in however I believe you are best buying a new headset microphone.

Headset microphone's by their nature are quite fragile, and over time they break.

Beyond what you can see, the capsules take a beating from sweat, makeup, and spit. In my experience by the time they physically break (assuming they have been well taken care of) it is probably time for the capsule to be retired as well.

The wires are small enough and endure enough movement that fixing them is extremely difficult.

Additionally every time I have had the experience sending a mic into DPA, the mic is usually out of spec so they will not repair it.

I get it, I lost an $800 DPA a few months ago when the cable got bent the wrong by the talent, and I just had 6 new Country H6's arrive at work the other day!
---

Bottom line: Headset mics are more of reoccurring expense, and an expensive one at that.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 06:56:17 AM »

If the boom was broken, I could see a way to repair but as it is the curved part at the ear, not so much. Buy a replacement.
The mic you found should work OK but might be a different sensitivity and sound a bit different.
Not a problem if you are not swapping mics to different packs.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 09:12:04 AM »

The $16 Ebay mic will work and you won't mind throwing it in the trash when that one get broken.
The Pyle miniature headset mics are another budget mic to look at.
For school plays I have had good luck with the $30 Ebay miniature headset mics.

Sometimes you need to base the mic to use on who is using it and how it is going to be used and taken care of.
My headset mics range from $200 models down to $20 models, they each have a purpose.

I was at a facility and they mentioned all the problems they were having with their mics.

They had about a dozen Countryman E6's that all looked like a  paperclip that had been straighten out, wadded up, straightened out again and then rolled into a ball dozens of times.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 01:56:11 PM »

Will a $16 mic work?  Yeah, probably.  Will it work well??  That's a crapshoot.

Professionals don't spend 20X as much on equipment just because they like spending more money.  There's usually a very good reason for it.

Those reasons can include one or more of the following:

Durability.  Cheaper stuff tends to use cheaper materials.  They may look the same on the first day, but connectors fall apart, cables fray, etc.  Note that this isn't always the case. Sometimes the better stuff is more delicate because it needs to be for performance reasons, which is another difference.

Reliability.  Similar to durability, building something reliable costs more.  Cheaper stuff sometimes has the habit of simply failing during normal use due to cheaper manufacturing standards.

Quality.  Microphones are a piece of gear that will make the most difference in how things sound.  Yes, any mic can pick up sounds, but they all behave differently.  Getting a small mic with good linear response is not as simple as it may look.  If you've ever worked with crappy mics with wild frequency response, you'll find them near impossible to get any gain before feedback at certain frequencies.  They may sound almost the same, but require massive EQ chops just to work.  Not fun at all!

Consistency.  This is the big one.  The problem before of frequency issues can be wildly different between mics. On the cheap mics, yes, they will make sound. But Mic A might sound and behave completely differently than Mic B of the same model.  If you only have one mic, that's not as critical, at least until you need to replace it.  If you have a fleet of mics that may need to be switched around, the more consistent they are, the easier your life will be.
Brian Jojade

Eileen Krause

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 03:07:21 PM »

Is there someplace that I can just buy the ear part microphone?
I looked at Shure but only one there is 218 bucks.
I found this one on ebay.
Beige Single Earhook Headset Microphone for Shure Wireless-TA4F 4pin mini XLR
Would that work?

Hi
You can find decent quality budget headsets that use the Shure TA4F mini XLR connection.  I have had good luck with these budget friendly headsets (link below)-- $99 each AND they also include adaptors that would allow them to work with AudioTechnic or Sennheiser body packs... so that's a plus to have in the spare parts kit.  They have held up well with volunteers and if they do break one- I'm not out $300-400...   And we have been happily surprised at the performance sound wise. 
I keep a couple of these in back up drawer!   you might consider. Hope this helps.

https://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Audio-ESM3-Single-Headset/dp/B01M5FC324/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n1_0?cv_ct_cx=galaxy+audio+headset&dchild=1&keywords=galaxy+audio+headset&pd_rd_i=B01M5FC324&pd_rd_r=97dbf9e2-1985-4d2c-8ea0-3b2f717c47f1&pd_rd_w=XhCPA&pd_rd_wg=JCxzD&pf_rd_p=5be4970c-0256-4afe-9550-68021bd84e5b&pf_rd_r=F16V32YZ6DMN48S5QS0A&psc=1&qid=1604084333&sr=1-1-791c2399-d602-4248-afbb-8a79de2d236f

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 03:07:21 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.