ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 50A power in performance venue??  (Read 5657 times)

Mike Monte

• My website
50A power in performance venue??
« on: October 28, 2020, 02:45:29 PM »

Hello all:
Has anyone ever run-across a 50A power (female/receptacle) in a performance venue?
If so, what type of receptacle was it; NEMA 14-50, California Standard, ???) ie; what did you use on your distro to access/tie in?

Jeff Bankston

Re: 50A power in performance venue??
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 03:20:30 PM »

You can make 50a adapters. One thing to beware of is the there are several different California type connectors. 120/240 4 wire. 240 3 phase 4 wire. 480 3 phase 4 wire. And more. They all look the same but the connector blades are a tad different and none of the voltages with interchange. So if you need Cali connectors look on the end and make sure they have 120/240 2 pole 4 wire stamped(Hot,Hot,Neutral,Ground). Hubbell part numbers CS6365C for male , CS6364C for female.

http://www.hubbell.com/hubbell/en/Products/Electrical-Electronic/Wiring-Devices/Locking-Devices/50A-Twist-Lock/c/2027737
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 02:00:16 AM by Jeff Bankston »

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 04:41:52 PM »

Jeff Put it quite well.  Any time you get beyond a standard 15 amp edison, the number of options for connectors that you may come across gets much larger.

The result is a bag of adaptors to pick from, after carefully metering and making double extra sure that connector is wired correctly.  You'd be surprised how often you find that they are not.

One venue in particular had a connector and their distro.  They required you use THEIR distro, because 'everyone else's would cause problems'

Turns out they had switched a hot and a ground conductor on both their plug and their distro connector so theirs worked just fine.  Anyone else using normal connections would, well, die.
Brian Jojade

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 07:17:27 PM »

Surprisingly, there are a lot of performance venues in my area with 50a circuits on or near the stage. Always a 14-50, I've never been provided a California connector anywhere but on a generator. I use California connectors with my distros, so my 14-50 adapters get used often.

There are a few oddball venues that I remember from years ago, one has a 14-30, and at least one place thought a 10-50 would do the trick (not on my watch).

A few of the hotels around here still use oddball plugs and require you to use their distros. One I was at last year gave me a 4 circuit distro, and half of it had 2 hots (the second where the neutral should be). I told them it could kill somebody and made them swap it out. Always meter your power!
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 09:56:55 PM »

So if you need Cali connectors look on the end and make sure they have 120/240 3 phase 4 wire stamped. Hubbell part numbers CS6365C for male , CS6364C for female.

http://www.hubbell.com/hubbell/en/Products/Electrical-Electronic/Wiring-Devices/Locking-Devices/50A-Twist-Lock/c/2027737

There's a slight typo there.  You're looking for a 3 Pole, not 3 phase connector, and that's what the 6364 and 6365 are.

Other than the few places that have cam locks, most venues where I am have 14-50 receptacles.  Hopefully, the electrician put them on a 50A breaker, and not a 40A (same connector is used for ranges, but breakered at only 40A).  I do have an adapter to go from 14-30 to 14-50, but I don't think I've ever had to use it.  Some schools have L14-30s (dating back from when I was in school!), and I have an adapter for that too.

I switched all my feeder over to California connectors a couple years ago, and use the adapter to come out of the wall receptacle.  That way all my cabling locks together, and it's compatible with the big rental house in town if I need more.

GTD

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 02:01:22 AM »

There's a slight typo there.  You're looking for a 3 Pole, not 3 phase connector, and that's what the 6364 and 6365 are.

Other than the few places that have cam locks, most venues where I am have 14-50 receptacles.  Hopefully, the electrician put them on a 50A breaker, and not a 40A (same connector is used for ranges, but breakered at only 40A).  I do have an adapter to go from 14-30 to 14-50, but I don't think I've ever had to use it.  Some schools have L14-30s (dating back from when I was in school!), and I have an adapter for that too.

I switched all my feeder over to California connectors a couple years ago, and use the adapter to come out of the wall receptacle.  That way all my cabling locks together, and it's compatible with the big rental house in town if I need more.

GTD
Thanks for correction. Thats what happens when in a hurry. I changed it.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 01:49:11 PM »

Hello all:
Has anyone ever run-across a 50A power (female/receptacle) in a performance venue?
If so, what type of receptacle was it; NEMA 14-50, California Standard, ???) ie; what did you use on your distro to access/tie in?

We have a mix of those out here, so I have CS50 CS6365C on my distro and a 2m adapter cable made up for 14-50 so CS50. I check on advancing my shows and always recommend to venue owners to pop in a CS50 outlet or two when they're next having an electrician on site. Many have done so, which makes my life easier.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 04:58:48 PM »

We have a mix of those out here, so I have CS50 CS6365C on my distro and a 2m adapter cable made up for 14-50 so CS50. I check on advancing my shows and always recommend to venue owners to pop in a CS50 outlet or two when they're next having an electrician on site. Many have done so, which makes my life easier.

My clients are shocked at the price of CS series connectors.  I tell them to put in 14-50 outlets and call it a day.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 05:12:42 PM »

I have three venues that have CS receptacles!

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 09:04:34 PM »

My clients are shocked at the price of CS series connectors.  I tell them to put in 14-50 outlets and call it a day.
Your comment is electrifying ! And it hertz ! I am going to go get wired and relax. Ahhhhh my cuticles are dilated.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 01:58:12 PM »

Sounds like your clients aren't well grounded in the actual costs of conducting business.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 02:50:48 PM »

Sounds like your clients aren't well grounded in the actual costs of conducting business.
It depends on the business.  You haven't worked with community theater spaces, apparently.  Hotels will take the absolute cheapest up-front option, ditto for most "event centers" and banquet halls.

Some of them have no existing infrastructure and the price difference doesn't matter.  Some will never need to use this service with rental cables.  Some need it "right fucking now" and the local electrician can install a 14-50R because there's one in the truck.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2020, 03:48:54 PM »

It depends on the business.  You haven't worked with community theater spaces, apparently.  Hotels will take the absolute cheapest up-front option, ditto for most "event centers" and banquet halls.

Some of them have no existing infrastructure and the price difference doesn't matter.  Some will never need to use this service with rental cables.  Some need it "right fucking now" and the local electrician can install a 14-50R because there's one in the truck.

Sorry Tim, I thought you were trying to bond using electrical puns. I didn't intend to be re-volting.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 04:03:52 PM »

Sorry Tim, I thought you were trying to bond using electrical puns. I didn't intend to be re-volting.

Why reward pun-ishment? ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 04:03:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.