ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 24 monitor outs? how to do it?  (Read 2910 times)

Mattijs Bosveld

24 monitor outs? how to do it?
« on: October 27, 2020, 08:56:10 AM »

Hey guys,

I realize that this will be my second question in a short period of time, but hey, Corona virus gives new ideas and with that new possible challenges.

In december we are planning to do a livestream for a christmas online thing.
On the location I normally play with smaller bands and we all have in-ear. We use a X32 Rack for that, connected to a S16. 32 in 16 out and then an AES 50 to the FOH.

But for this specific night we have more vocalists joining us and now I need 24 outs (12x stereo IEM).

We have multiple options, but the one option we do not want to use is to have to use the FOH mixer delivering monitor sends.
So I have arranged for another x32 Rack and another S16.
My idea was to use one Rack/S16 combination as the stageblock for all the inputs (we're keeping it under 32 inputs) and as a monitor mixer for 7 stereo IEMS (14 buses, so that I leave 2 buses for FX).

I then can send all signals to a second Rackmixer providing for 4 more stereo IEM's. But then it gets tricky.... I still need one stereo out for the last IEM, but connecting a S16 to the second rack seems not the good idea, because I will need the second AES port on that rack to send the signals to the front of house.

My question is:
Is there a way to use 2 Rack/16 combinations as monitor mixers and at the same time sending all the inputs to the FOH mixer?
Or is there another way to get 24 outs on stage for IEM, without using the FOH mixer for monitor signals?

Geert Friedhof

Re: 24 monitor outs? how to do it?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 09:03:50 AM »

Do they all REALLY need stereo IEM's?

Mattijs Bosveld

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 09:19:41 AM »

Yes, they all want to be able to create a stereo mix panning the shizzle around as they seem fit. (maybe they might be a bit spoiled musicians, but that's the way they want it...  ;D

I realized I might be able to do it the following way: But maybe you guys can confirm that this is the best or only way:

32 signals come in on Rack1/S16 combi.
Here I make 7 IEM mixes.
All channels are forwarded to Rack2 which has no S16 connected.
Here I make 4 more mixes on the 8 buses through the 8XLR outs, bus 9 and 10 are routed to an aux out which will give me the last stereo IEM and both mixers will have identical FX setups on 2 FX buses which will be returned to their own monitor buses on each mixer seperately.
That leaves 1 AES 50 port on Rack2 to send all signals to the FOH mixer.
Are there (better) alternatives?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 09:22:48 AM by Mattijs Bosveld »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 11:54:12 AM »

Yes, they all want to be able to create a stereo mix panning the shizzle around as they seem fit. (maybe they might be a bit spoiled musicians, but that's the way they want it...  ;D

I realized I might be able to do it the following way: But maybe you guys can confirm that this is the best or only way:

Here I make 7 IEM mixes.
Here I make 4 more mixes on the 8 buses through the 8XLR outs, bus 9 and 10 are routed to an aux out which will give me the last stereo IEM and both mixers will have identical FX setups on 2 FX buses which will be returned to their own monitor buses on each mixer seperately.

You could rent some personal monitor mixers for the event.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 12:36:39 PM »

Why do you need an S16 in the mix?  Just use the inputs from each X32 rack and route accordingly.  Each X32 rack has 14 routable outputs, so that's plenty to get your 12 stereo pairs, with 4 to spare.

So you're sending Rack-Rack-FOH.  Where does your main output come from? FOH, or if you need it to come from the rack, you still would have 4 outputs you could route to.
Brian Jojade

Mattijs Bosveld

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 02:31:55 PM »

Why do you need an S16 in the mix?  Just use the inputs from each X32 rack and route accordingly.  Each X32 rack has 14 routable outputs, so that's plenty to get your 12 stereo pairs, with 4 to spare.

So you're sending Rack-Rack-FOH.  Where does your main output come from? FOH, or if you need it to come from the rack, you still would have 4 outputs you could route to.

You are right, that would work also.
1 Rack that I can borrow is already built in in a rack case with a s16, so that would not be the problem.
But reading your answer, you agree that using the aux outs in this case would be the best option.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 11:48:39 PM »

Yeah. Other than being a 1/4" connector and a bit more of a pain to configure routing, the output is an output.
Brian Jojade

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 04:04:15 AM »

Indeed.  And do they all need a separate mix?

Steve.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 06:51:30 AM »

Indeed.  And do they all need a separate mix?

Steve.
While I can appreciate it's nice to meet the performers "needs" stereo IEM mixes for everyone seems rather self indulgent. ::)
I have worked with many performers that can work just fine with mono and some shared mixes.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 09:59:20 AM »

Here I make 7 IEM mixes.

Find someone with a Behringer Wing and use it as the monitor mixer with the stage boxes that you have to configure the whole thing. The Wing 16 mix bus can all be stereo. It doesn't have a lot of connectors on it but it does have 8 XLR and 8 1/4" outs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 09:59:20 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 26 queries.