ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Outdoor PA at new skatepark-advice  (Read 4667 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Question on an outdoor install at skatepark
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 06:58:56 PM »

Another idea....
The central pole mounted system could be for the announcements and maybe some music, again that's a maybe.

Keep in mind there are various systems that could be mounted on a "pole" for announcements that could cover that area but they would not be full range party rock
speaker system.

At the various skate competition areas set up/install full range playback systems.
Those areas could also be fed with the announcement audio with that feed delayed
to main announcement system and also duck the music volume a little when announcements
are made.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 07:36:37 PM »

Remember to consider the environment as well. Do you live in an area where extreme weather conditions exist?  Will you be dropping them down and putting them in storage in the off season if there is one so do they need to be installed with that in mind? A all weather speaker is a must of course for outside installs or at least a proper cover over the speakers.

Douglas R. Allen

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 08:47:39 PM »

Remember to consider the environment as well. Do you live in an area where extreme weather conditions exist?  Will you be dropping them down and putting them in storage in the off season if there is one so do they need to be installed with that in mind? A all weather speaker is a must of course for outside installs or at least a proper cover over the speakers.

Douglas R. Allen
And don't forget that sound doesn't stop when you've covered the area you want
It keeps going
All the skate parks in my area are in the middle of towns.
Most of them had to turn off their music systems and use for necessary safety announcements only

I would consider a perimeter system with small speakers pointing in and downward more than a central source blasting outward.

Of course it depends on your surroundings I guess.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Rick Powell

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 08:49:17 PM »

Nobody is going to want to shimmy up the pole to put covers on and off after each use, or to perform any type of service on them. Anything pole mounted will need some type of access plan. Do you have a bucket truck available? I’d go extreme weatherproofing, passive with the water-tight Powercon connectors, for anything hung high and exposed to the elements.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Outdoor PA at new skatepark-advice
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 09:23:30 PM »

Here is the lighting plot. I added the yellow triangle to show where the three speakers on a pole are proposed. If light is "like" sound, it seems obvious that the audio will need to be distributed in a similar fashion as the light fixtures.

Sound is only slightly like light.  You need an Integrator that does this regularly, and does it well (quantity doesn't automatically mean quality).
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020, 08:25:44 AM »

Nobody is going to want to shimmy up the pole to put covers on and off after each use, or to perform any type of service on them. Anything pole mounted will need some type of access plan. Do you have a bucket truck available? I’d go extreme weatherproofing, passive with the water-tight Powercon connectors, for anything hung high and exposed to the elements.
There are a number of manufacturers who offer weatherized cabinets, or for an upcharge will weatherize normal cabinets to help fend off the elements.

Normally there are no speaker connectors on them, but rather a waterproof gland nut for the cables to run out of, and then to a weatherized electrical box in which the connection is made to the amp run.

Of course he could always put a roof over the speakers to help protect them.

All of this costs money, I hope the people planning this take these sort of things into account, if they want the system to live very long.

There are MANY things to consider in this sort of situation.  As others have said, "noise pollution" is one of them and needs to be considered up front.  This is where a true design, by people who have done this, comes into play.  Not random guesswork, unless they are prepared to deal with the problems later on.

Experience counts in case like this.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2020, 09:15:18 AM »

Powercon?  If you put a self powered speaker out on a pole, or a speaker with any connections at all...you have already lost.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 09:17:27 AM by David Sturzenbecher »
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Jim Layton

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2020, 02:19:55 PM »

Appreciate all the advice. I will bring this back to the decision makers. I did hear the quote for installing the pole, speakers, amp(?), and also a rolling sound cart with "mixer" and wireless mics for...$10,000. That seems really low considering the cost of the rig I set up for past events, on the original smaller park, is almost double that. Just for background info the entire "park" including the main building, site planning, environmental studies ran $3MM. There was a lot of drainage and power installation work to convert an old park to this. The land is owned by the boro but it is run by our non-profit org. It is a unique partnership. The boro provided a lot of grant-writing skill along with site work. Nearly all the money came from private donors. We hold several "small" events throughout the year, culminating into a large final contest. In the photo with the guys working you'll see they formed a "keystone" vert section. Since we're in PA (Keystone state) it was a cool idea. In the end it will one the best parks in the area.
Between Allentown & Philadelphia

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2020, 03:34:06 PM »

Appreciate all the advice. I will bring this back to the decision makers. I did hear the quote for installing the pole, speakers, amp(?), and also a rolling sound cart with "mixer" and wireless mics for...$10,000. That seems really low considering the cost of the rig I set up for past events, on the original smaller park, is almost double that. Just for background info the entire "park" including the main building, site planning, environmental studies ran $3MM. There was a lot of drainage and power installation work to convert an old park to this. The land is owned by the boro but it is run by our non-profit org. It is a unique partnership. The boro provided a lot of grant-writing skill along with site work. Nearly all the money came from private donors. We hold several "small" events throughout the year, culminating into a large final contest. In the photo with the guys working you'll see they formed a "keystone" vert section. Since we're in PA (Keystone state) it was a cool idea. In the end it will one the best parks in the area.

Good paging horns properly powered on up  "the pole" could cover that area with voice paging and then augmented with the portable rolling cart(kind of like I mentioned) system at the contest areas.
With a good wireless mic and remote antennas on "the pole" you could cover most of that
area and also have the wireless mic feeding the cart system.

$10,000 is still going to come up short to do it right.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2020, 04:49:00 PM »

Well I bet the proposed system will "make some noise".

But doing what they probably want it to do, that is a different story.

But hey, maybe they will listen next time.  Hopefully some of that 10K will be reusable when they do it right.

BTW, the place is smaller than I envisioned, so that does make it easier.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2020, 04:49:00 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.