ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Xilica DSP's  (Read 2433 times)

RalphAtkinson

Xilica DSP's
« on: October 27, 2020, 04:10:31 AM »

Has anyone much experience with the Xilica QR1 and FR1 range of DSP's? In particular the reliability?
We have always used Soundweb London or Biamp and more lately Q-SYS. But in these days with everyone requiring UC we are looking at some low cost DSP's with AEC and USB in/out for small & medium sized meeting rooms. I like the modular frame style of the QR1 and it seems to be a neat little option. I also have a test unit that I'm trying out. But I've never used any Xilica products before so I'm not sure about the reliability.

Any comments are welcome.

Ralph

MikeHarris

Re: Xilica DSP's
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 04:43:43 AM »

i first became aware of Xilica as OEM for EAW's processors...and have sold @50 into primarily studios with excellent reliability

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 06:53:32 AM »

I have installed about 10 of the XP series processors and have had great results and reliability.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 09:20:47 PM »

Xilica has been around for quite a while, and was one of the first to offer high sample rate and FIR filters. 

I had a couple QR1's on my desk to test for a couple months, overall they are great.  They aren't as powerful as QSys, nor are they trying for that market. 

Rather than list all the positives, here are the only negatives I found.

No raised cosine EQ, unless I messed it somehow.  For conferencing - not an issue. 

Graphics and GUI in general not as slick as QSys. 
Control of other "stuff" not as powerful as QSys - it's something I've talked with them about a few times, they are working that direction but don't have an army of programmers to make it happen overnight.

The USB audio to/from my laptop would have issues every once in a great while.  I didn't notice any pattern or trigger, and didn't pursue it further.  It is something to test for long term to see if it was just with my unit, or all units. 

I did manage to half kill one of the QR1's - it would light up the LED's but not power on, either with wall power or PoE.  It was plugged into a basic surge protector and voltage monitor at the time (Wattbox), and I put a SurgeX power monitor on the outlet for the next two months.  Voltage was often 126V, but that shouldn't have caused an issue.  When talking with Xilica, they said it was the first (?) QR1/FR1 to have a problem in all of North America.  I didn't follow up what the exact detail was, but they said that failures were not something they were forced to deal with.  I'd aim for surge and UPC as standard practice (for any DSP). 

If I had a bunch of conference rooms, the QR1 would be high on my list.  Everyone at Xilica has been great to work with.  I'd make sure to get a loaner model and test it thoroughly for a month first, along with the new baby QSys Cores.

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 11:41:01 PM »

Has anyone much experience with the Xilica QR1 and FR1 range of DSP's? In particular the reliability?
We have always used Soundweb London or Biamp and more lately Q-SYS. But in these days with everyone requiring UC we are looking at some low cost DSP's with AEC and USB in/out for small & medium sized meeting rooms. I like the modular frame style of the QR1 and it seems to be a neat little option. I also have a test unit that I'm trying out. But I've never used any Xilica products before so I'm not sure about the reliability.

Any comments are welcome.

Ralph

What's UC?
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

RalphAtkinson

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 04:43:14 AM »

What's UC?
Unified Communications - encompassing Video Conferencing and Audio conferencing... I'm sure it means more to the IT guys.

RalphAtkinson

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 04:47:28 AM »

I'd make sure to get a loaner model and test it thoroughly for a month first, along with the new baby QSys Cores.

In Australia we are told the new baby QSys cores won't be available until late Jan, early Feb 2021. So we will be definitely giving them a go once they arrive, but it in the meantime we have clients with needs.... and budgets!
 :)

Ralph

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 04:47:28 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.