ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum Overhead Mic Suggestions  (Read 9375 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Drum Overhead Mic Suggestions
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2020, 01:44:50 AM »

A lot of people like the 2020 and other 2xxx series mics, but to me they sound way too hyped in the high end. They are very sibilant, which is the opposite of what I want in an overhead. Cymbals already have too much high frequency, so a flat, or even a slightly rolled off mic does me better.

There is a remarkable difference stepping up to the 3xxx and higher range in AT's lineup. I have a pair of 4045's and could not ask for more for any live situation.

Sometimes on the right situation I'll put up AT4033's on percussion or overheads, yea there's no comparison!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2020, 01:39:45 PM »

I do great on the small/mid shows using just 3 mics. Either Audix D6 or B52 on KK, SM57 or Audix i15 on snare and AT4041 on O/H. I have had folks express pleasant surprise at the results.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2020, 03:23:26 AM »

When I was looking, it was difficult for me to demo lots of different mics, so I had to rely on shootouts and comparisons posted online. I went through a lot, and paid most attention to the clips where there's no processing being applied. There's a link to one below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9NkAd8f4vk

I wanted some SDCs that I could use for pretty much anything, from choir recording to drum overheads to live instrument micing.

I eventually chose the Beyer MC930 mics, and I'm very glad I did. They sound great, on-axis as well as off, and compare well against Neumann's KM184s which cost considerably more. The MC930s include a low-cut switch which (contrary to most) is a shallow filter that starts around 250Hz. That rolloff shape flattens out the proximity effect nicely, and IIRC is optimised for 12" pickup distance.

I've used MC930s for all sorts:
- Main stereo pair for classical recordings (low self-noise helps here)
- Stereo overheads plus kick (had to play with positioning to get the drum/cymbal balance, sounded great when it was right)
- Spot mics for classical instruments
- Many different instruments live on-stage

Always been pleased with the sound: most of the time, there's no processing required - makes soundcheck very easy. Push the fader and move on to the next channel. GAS periodically kicks in, and I buy more of them. Up to seven so far.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Scott Slater

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2020, 07:34:55 AM »

I like SM81s, but for a more budget friendly choice the Pro37s are great.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2020, 03:20:39 AM »

I do great on the small/mid shows using just 3 mics. Either Audix D6 or B52 on KK, SM57 or Audix i15 on snare and AT4041 on O/H. I have had folks express pleasant surprise at the results.

I quite often use just kick, snare and overhead too.  Even on bigger stages with more drum mics, I will try to use one overhead.

Steve.

Tim Patterson

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2020, 11:09:27 AM »

We just got the se4400a and I'm really liking them. really smooth but still have a nice top end.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2020, 04:27:51 PM »

Got a couple of those, too. Decent mics. Enjoy!

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Gavin Whitner

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2021, 03:47:17 PM »

I use a pair of AKG C214's for my band. Pretty happy with the performance for the money. I originally bought one for rapping, after seeing it recommended for its sound quality to low-medium budget rappers, and later got another to use the pair as drum overheads for our band's recording sessions.

Steven Cohen

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2021, 02:14:34 PM »

Hello,

We’re needing some new overhead mics for our drum cymbals at my church. This is for live drums application, playing mostly contemporary music.
The snare will have a Shure SM57, the toms will have Sennheiser e904s, and the kick will have a Shure Beta 52A and a homemade sub-kick.

I’m wanting to get some opinions for the overheads for the cymbals. We’ll have two crashes (18” and 16”), a ride (20”), and hi-hats (14”). They will all be Zildjian K Custom Dark. Our intention is to use two overheads. The mics should have enough room in the enclosure to be able to be placed up to 3ft above the cymbals. Our budget for both mics combined is up to $500, but I could probably go a bit over if I can convince my pastor.

Some of the mics I’ve been looking at are the Rode NT5, Rode M5, Shure SM137, and Audio-Technica AT4041. I am 100% open to any and all ideas and suggestions.

Thank you so much!

Matt

What ever you choose, consider the after the sale service. I know that Shure and I believe Sennheiser offer flat rate repairs after the warranty is over. With Shure, the mics are usually back in service in a week or two, no pun intended. Not saying that AT, Audix and others don't have similar, just something to consider.

For us, SM137 is a general purpose, rugged, small capsule condenser that fits in a standard mic clip that costs $180. 

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2021, 12:55:26 PM »

I like SM81s, but for a more budget friendly choice the Pro37s are great.

I so respect your opinions and I do not have a quality pair of SDC's.  There is a kit of these on eBay 2 with the stereo bracket and a case.  Paypal, 0 interest, could pay for them out of my "allowance" serious GAS kicking in......help

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2021, 12:55:26 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.