ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum Overhead Mic Suggestions  (Read 9376 times)

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
Re: Drum Overhead Mic Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2021, 07:34:55 PM »

I so respect your opinions and I do not have a quality pair of SDC's.  There is a kit of these on eBay 2 with the stereo bracket and a case.  Paypal, 0 interest, could pay for them out of my "allowance" serious GAS kicking in......help
Do it.  I assume you meant "help" encourage you.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2021, 09:32:07 PM »

I so respect your opinions and I do not have a quality pair of SDC's.  There is a kit of these on eBay 2 with the stereo bracket and a case.  Paypal, 0 interest, could pay for them out of my "allowance" serious GAS kicking in......help

Try 'em! You'll be seriously shocked if you've never used them before.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2021, 10:24:00 PM »

For us, SM137 is a general purpose, rugged, small capsule condenser that fits in a standard mic clip that costs $180.

I just noticed today that you can get a 2-pack of A-T 4041 mics for a good price. 

Seems like there are a few inexpensive mics that are pretty good (Pro37, SM137, ADX51, etc), then a step up (4041, KSM137, Aston Origen, Audix M1280 or whatever the Micro model is, etc). 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Steven Cohen

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2021, 08:45:13 AM »

What do you mean by snare side? Snare bottom mic?

Honestly if you have some 57's, throw them up for OH's and Hat and just try. There's nothing wrong with a 57. Are there better options? Sure. But many famous recordings have been done with just 57's and nobody complained.

https://www.sageaudio.com/blog/recording/two-critically-acclaimed-albums-recorded-100-microphone.php

And for those just a little bit older, here is another famous recording done with just 57s,
https://www.barryrudolph.com/stellar/300dollardrumsound.html

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2021, 01:43:37 PM »

And for those just a little bit older, here is another famous recording done with just 57s,
https://www.barryrudolph.com/stellar/300dollardrumsound.html
Wow, what a great article, thanks for sharing it!  I just went back to the song to refresh my memory.  Funny coincidence to see this, as just this morning I had watched them play "She's Gone" on Old Grey Whistle Test for no particular reason.  No EQ, no compression, all SM57s.  How interesting.

Steven Cohen

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2021, 03:00:14 PM »

Wow, what a great article, thanks for sharing it!  I just went back to the song to refresh my memory.  Funny coincidence to see this, as just this morning I had watched them play "She's Gone" on Old Grey Whistle Test for no particular reason.  No EQ, no compression, all SM57s.  How interesting.

Here is something a little more recent. Now they have a bigger budget for condensers for the O.H.!
https://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/currentep.html?ep_id=13

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2021, 03:00:14 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.