ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum Overhead Mic Suggestions  (Read 1502 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Drum Overhead Mic Suggestions
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2020, 01:44:50 am »

A lot of people like the 2020 and other 2xxx series mics, but to me they sound way too hyped in the high end. They are very sibilant, which is the opposite of what I want in an overhead. Cymbals already have too much high frequency, so a flat, or even a slightly rolled off mic does me better.

There is a remarkable difference stepping up to the 3xxx and higher range in AT's lineup. I have a pair of 4045's and could not ask for more for any live situation.

Sometimes on the right situation I'll put up AT4033's on percussion or overheads, yea there's no comparison!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2020, 01:39:45 pm »

I do great on the small/mid shows using just 3 mics. Either Audix D6 or B52 on KK, SM57 or Audix i15 on snare and AT4041 on O/H. I have had folks express pleasant surprise at the results.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2020, 03:23:26 am »

When I was looking, it was difficult for me to demo lots of different mics, so I had to rely on shootouts and comparisons posted online. I went through a lot, and paid most attention to the clips where there's no processing being applied. There's a link to one below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9NkAd8f4vk

I wanted some SDCs that I could use for pretty much anything, from choir recording to drum overheads to live instrument micing.

I eventually chose the Beyer MC930 mics, and I'm very glad I did. They sound great, on-axis as well as off, and compare well against Neumann's KM184s which cost considerably more. The MC930s include a low-cut switch which (contrary to most) is a shallow filter that starts around 250Hz. That rolloff shape flattens out the proximity effect nicely, and IIRC is optimised for 12" pickup distance.

I've used MC930s for all sorts:
- Main stereo pair for classical recordings (low self-noise helps here)
- Stereo overheads plus kick (had to play with positioning to get the drum/cymbal balance, sounded great when it was right)
- Spot mics for classical instruments
- Many different instruments live on-stage

Always been pleased with the sound: most of the time, there's no processing required - makes soundcheck very easy. Push the fader and move on to the next channel. GAS periodically kicks in, and I buy more of them. Up to seven so far.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Scott Slater

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2020, 07:34:55 am »

I like SM81s, but for a more budget friendly choice the Pro37s are great.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2020, 03:20:39 am »

I do great on the small/mid shows using just 3 mics. Either Audix D6 or B52 on KK, SM57 or Audix i15 on snare and AT4041 on O/H. I have had folks express pleasant surprise at the results.

I quite often use just kick, snare and overhead too.  Even on bigger stages with more drum mics, I will try to use one overhead.

Steve.

Tim Patterson

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2020, 11:09:27 am »

We just got the se4400a and I'm really liking them. really smooth but still have a nice top end.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2020, 04:27:51 pm »

Got a couple of those, too. Decent mics. Enjoy!

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2020, 04:27:51 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 24 queries.