ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artfox replacement batteries  (Read 1116 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Artfox replacement batteries
« on: November 07, 2020, 11:21:14 am »

I have some Artfox rechargeable LED PAR fixtures and a few had the batteries go bad while sitting this year. Any suggestion on where to buy replacements packs? I have to deliver for a party next weekend and don't have time to wait for China parts.

Bad Quail
Sound + Light
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealers for all this stuff

Scott Hofmann

Re: Artfox replacement batteries
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 09:53:02 am »

It might be helpful to have more information like...
model number of the ArtFox fixture
any numbers on the battery
physical size of the battery
a photo of the battery (best)

Sort of like saying I have a GM car, can anyone find a tire for it. :)
Scott Hofmann

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 03:57:25 pm »

It might be helpful to have more information like...
model number of the ArtFox fixture
any numbers on the battery
physical size of the battery
a photo of the battery (best)

Sort of like saying I have a GM car, can anyone find a tire for it. :)

More like I'm looking for a tire store. I need someone who can build custom Li-Ion battery packs to spec.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light
Joshua Tree, California

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 05:09:44 pm »

More like I'm looking for a tire store. I need someone who can build custom Li-Ion battery packs to spec.
Googling "custom Li-on battery pack" yields quite a few results for this service.
Scott Hofmann

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 10:40:04 pm »

Hey Tim, have you actually popped a unit open to look at the battery?  Going out on a limb here, but Iím going to guess that Artfox doesnít use exclusive batteries.  Hopefully whatís in the unit has enough identification on it to either replace directly or at least be able to match voltage, amp hourage, discharge capacity, and possibly cell count depending on type.  No promises on success, but matching that up should yield a usable result. 

For a quick turnaround, assuming you canít source a direct replacement quickly enough, check out your local hobby shop - the model aviation community seems to have every type of rechargeable battery imaginable.  Good luck!

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 01:21:14 am »

Hey Tim, have you actually popped a unit open to look at the battery?  Going out on a limb here, but Iím going to guess that Artfox doesnít use exclusive batteries.  Hopefully whatís in the unit has enough identification on it to either replace directly or at least be able to match voltage, amp hourage, discharge capacity, and possibly cell count depending on type.  No promises on success, but matching that up should yield a usable result. 

For a quick turnaround, assuming you canít source a direct replacement quickly enough, check out your local hobby shop - the model aviation community seems to have every type of rechargeable battery imaginable.  Good luck!

Indeed, I took one out, I can match everything off the shelf except for the form factor. These are made with 18650 cells, which is the common building block for bigger packs. Everyone puts theirs together slightly different. Tenergy and others custom 'test pack' makers charge more than the light cost. I was hoping maybe someone here had referral.

Checked with RC shops right away but I need 11V 9A and RC stuff runs 5V or less with less current.They have the cells but building and rebuilding is dangerous and I'd have to build a spot welder and acquire a bunch of specialty materials to do it.

I ended up ordering another pack of lights, they make money and they've worked well until I left them on the charger all summer, or maybe the heat out here killed them I don't know. It was miserably hot out here this summer. There's a circuit interrupter disc that pops on the cells when they overheat or overpressure. Artfox has me on a list and will get me replacement batteries when they're able to ship them into the US.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 01:23:22 am by Tim Hite »
Bad Quail
Sound + Light
Joshua Tree, California

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 02:53:25 am »

Iím glad to hear you came up with a solution, even if it was just to buy more fixtures.  Iíve been on the fence about stocking battery-powered fixtures myself for a while - exactly because of the problem youíve run into.  Theyíre definitely money makers, but also a limited life item.  The Chauvet Flex Series tries to address this at least a little with field-replaceable batteries but regardless they still wonít last forever...  Good luck with the gig!

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 03:20:00 am »

Iím glad to hear you came up with a solution, even if it was just to buy more fixtures.  Iíve been on the fence about stocking battery-powered fixtures myself for a while - exactly because of the problem youíve run into.  Theyíre definitely money makers, but also a limited life item.  The Chauvet Flex Series tries to address this at least a little with field-replaceable batteries but regardless they still wonít last forever...  Good luck with the gig!

Fortunately I'm 2 hours from Artfox's LA warehouse.These wireless PARs paid for themselves in 5 rentals, are an easy to sell add-on item and a great spiff if I want to impress someone with a freebie. With a pair of 3m truss totems and some trigger clamps I can light a band and they look great every time.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light
Joshua Tree, California

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 01:20:43 pm »

Checked with RC shops right away but I need 11V 9A and RC stuff runs 5V or less with less current.

Hey Tim;
Just FYI - 11.1v cells are common for RC. I have many of them. You said "9A", but I assume you mean 9Ah (9000mAh)? Those are going to cost you a couple hundred dollars each if you get them from RC suppliers.
https://www.amazon.com/PowerHobby-3-Cell-9000mAh-75C-150C-Battery/dp/B07GJ2VPWR
Batteries that big and powerful (if they are Li-Ion) can be dangerous. I would be concerned about the charging system used inside the fixtures, especially if they are inexpensive and made in China. Remember what happened with the Samsung batteries? Li-Ion batteries can explode and burn ferociously if not treated with respect.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 07:16:13 pm »

Hey Tim;
Just FYI - 11.1v cells are common for RC. I have many of them. You said "9A", but I assume you mean 9Ah (9000mAh)? Those are going to cost you a couple hundred dollars each if you get them from RC suppliers.
https://www.amazon.com/PowerHobby-3-Cell-9000mAh-75C-150C-Battery/dp/B07GJ2VPWR
Batteries that big and powerful (if they are Li-Ion) can be dangerous. I would be concerned about the charging system used inside the fixtures, especially if they are inexpensive and made in China. Remember what happened with the Samsung batteries? Li-Ion batteries can explode and burn ferociously if not treated with respect.

13200mAh. . .spendy, but I get 8 hours out of the lights. I'm aware of the danger. It's basically building little bombs. Not a great DIY project for me.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light
Joshua Tree, California

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 07:16:13 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 23 queries.