ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Novation launcpad for lighting control?  (Read 4371 times)

duane massey

Novation launcpad for lighting control?
« on: October 20, 2020, 11:40:55 AM »

Has anyone used the Novation Launchpad or similar surface for playback/triggering in conjunction with DMX software? What program? Thanks!
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Dave Guilford

Re: Novation launcpad for lighting control?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 08:38:44 PM »

Launchpad is alright - it was the first midi controller I used for software probably 8 or 9 years ago.  Right away you’ll wish you had faders.  Get an Akai APC unit - several sizes available and they have button grid plus faders. 

Virtually all Dmx software supports midi triggering , so get whatever software you like

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 05:02:42 AM »

Launchpad is alright - it was the first midi controller I used for software probably 8 or 9 years ago.  Right away you’ll wish you had faders.  Get an Akai APC unit - several sizes available and they have button grid plus faders. 

Virtually all Dmx software supports midi triggering , so get whatever software you like

Dave, can you elaborate on how you set this up?  I've tried using a Launchpad as well but had no success.  Launchpad only has a USB interface and not a direct MIDI output which can severely limit compatibility. 

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 01:03:56 PM »

Jeff, if this was for my use I'd certainly not be happy with the Launchpad. However the client in this case does NOT want anything but buttons. Lots of them. He is old-school, as in Pulsar Touchpanel old-school, and wants to run the system manually.
It is a challenge. At the moment he has 5 Showdesigner controllers, each one controlling a separate type of fixture. I am trying to come up with an alternative that he will be comfortable with that will still allow me to provide a lot of programming to utilize the odd assortment of 20-year old light fixtures.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 09:21:44 PM »

Thanks Duane - I was more curious to hear how Dave got his Launchpad solution to work.  Using a Launchpad to fire lighting commands is one of the few things I've had to accept total failure on when trying it myself.  Because to the best of my knowledge the data sent over USB isn't true MIDI, most software and nearly all hardware consoles won't be able to natively use this.  I know programs exist to interpret/pipe the data from Launchpad to other applications in true MIDI, but I never got anything to work successfully.

Thinking outside the box a bit, I know that the DMX capabilities of playback programs like QLab and ShowCueSystem have gotten quite good.  They're much more friendly to accepting MIDI and hotkey triggering, so unless you need a high degree of complex cuing you might have better luck going this route since there are many off the shelf button pads and custom keyboards to run QLab such as from XKeys, etc.  Hope this helps! 

Dave Guilford

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 11:15:23 PM »

I’m not sure what’s tough. Make sure your Dmx software recognizes your launchpad, and start assigning scenes to buttons.

I’m assuming you aren’t trying to use a launchpad to control a dmx board, but instead software loaded onto a computer. If I’m right this is petty common with a lot of Dmx Software.  YouTube ?

duane massey

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 02:20:49 AM »

I’m not sure what’s tough. Make sure your Dmx software recognizes your launchpad, and start assigning scenes to buttons.

I’m assuming you aren’t trying to use a launchpad to control a dmx board, but instead software loaded onto a computer. If I’m right this is petty common with a lot of Dmx Software.  YouTube ?
Thanks, Dave. I thought it should work, but I didn't want to have the client invest in something that wouldn't do what he needs.  Any software you'd suggest that gives you options like HTP, LTP, swap, latch, etc, for the scenes or buttons? Thanks.
This will not be for touring, but will be permanently installed so riders or traveling LD's are not an issue.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 09:30:07 PM »

...Make sure your Dmx software recognizes your launchpad...

There in lies the problem - many won’t.  As example, MagicQ PC will only accept MIDI commands through the ChamSys proprietary interface.  Nomad is also picky about which flavors of MIDI it will accept.  Not saying it can’t be done - just saying I was never successful with it. 

YouTube is sparse with success stories that would be considered acceptable for a professional application, hence I am curious to hear about the combination of hardware/software that you got to work.

TimBuck

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 03:21:51 PM »

Has anyone used the Novation Launchpad or similar surface for playback/triggering in conjunction with DMX software? What program? Thanks!
If you found the right program , please let me know!!

duane massey

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 07:01:32 PM »

Turns out the client has a Launchpad that he bought for his son last year, and it is now gathering dust in his garage. I will get it next week and start looking into software. I will post my results when I have something. Thanks to all for participating.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 07:01:32 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.