ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Presonus 16.4.2 - high-pitch tone from board  (Read 1822 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Presonus 16.4.2 - high-pitch tone from board
« on: October 24, 2020, 05:53:36 PM »

A guy that works with me on a lot of shows is having an issue with his Presonus 16.4.2.  There's a loud high-pitch tone that comes from the board.

As of now, he is going to open up the console, blow any crap/dust out of it and re-seat the ribbon cables.  He does have a ticket open with Presonus, but the support has not been too supportive.  He has used this board for several years with no issues (live and for recording).

Below is my friend's questions to Presonus, along with responses from Presonus.  Any thoughts on the cause?  Maybe a solution?

as i was doing mixes from my mac via firewire, the was a very loud high pitched tome that started coming from my left monitor. i shut everything down (board, monitors, mac) and restarted, reconnected, re-restarted, etc. i can see input and output, but cannot hear anything from my main out, monitor out or heaphone out.

PRESONUS:  Could you try selecting the Zero Out Board from the scene memory? Observe if the problem persists.

===========

PRESONUS ---- Please try updating your firmware by connecting to a computer and installing Universal Control 1.7.6. See the link below.Observe if the problem persists.
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/210046853-StudioLive-Classic-Non-Ai-Firmware-Update-Process-Troubleshooting

i turned everything on and it worked, for about 2 minutes. it then made another loud tone, lower frequency than the original one i heard. it stopped, after 2 sec or so, but the output led was still at around 0dB.
i turned everything off, reset to zero out the board, but now i see no input or output on the meters from 2 separate known good sources. i tried several scenes as well with the same results.
pressing on to the firmware update

my fw is at 1.50.a build 190
when i go to the link you sent, i am told that i will need to step up to 1.12 first.
that link takes me to an "oops, you're not allowed to access this page" message and then dropped a the KB
lmk what's next

Thanks,
Bob

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: Presonus 16.4.2 - high-pitch tone from board
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 08:54:34 AM »

Meant to include...

I am nowhere near the board; therefore, I'm not able to see/touch/test anything on it.  Any communication I have with my friend is through email or phone.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 05:30:58 PM »

Had a similar scenario with a 16:4:2.  Opened the unit, and could quickly see several swelled caps inside.  Sent it off for factory service, and they did a full rebuild on the unit, replacing quite a few components.  Came back working like new.
Brian Jojade

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 06:45:21 PM »

Had a similar scenario with a 16:4:2.  Opened the unit, and could quickly see several swelled caps inside.  Sent it off for factory service, and they did a full rebuild on the unit, replacing quite a few components.  Came back working like new.

I'm going to guess power supply with some bad caps.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 07:20:37 PM »

Thank you guys for the responses.  I'll pass this along to my friend.

Bob

Dave Guilford

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 08:40:20 AM »

The original version had some well known power supply issue.  I believe it was fixed with the AI series and beyond.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 06:32:14 PM »

The original version had some well known power supply issue.  I believe it was fixed with the AI series and beyond.
Sound good.

He normally has the console on for several hours each day (he's doing recordings).  He shut down the console for about 15 min. and powered it back on.  There were no issues as soon as he turned it on; things worked as they should.  I haven't heard back from him on whether or not the issues started back up (and if they did, how long was it after the power-on).  It does sound like an issue with some caps.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 10:20:06 PM »

Following up...

My friend indicated the board would work fine as long as the fire-wire cable is attached to the board (and to the MAC) - which he uses for recording.  As soon as the fire-wire cable is removed, the high-freq. sound is heard and then the audio cuts out on the "mains".  With the fire-wire removed (ever after a reboot), the FOH will not pass audio.  His solution (temporary), is to keep the fire-wire plugged in all the time... he's looking for another small mixer as a replacement.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 10:20:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.