ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Reasons why I like Pro Fixtures over import (China) Fixtures  (Read 5043 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Reasons why I like Pro Fixtures over import (China) Fixtures
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 06:54:15 PM »

Reasons why [decent] China Fixtures are better:
  • Most are UL listed
[

Most have a UL sticker on them, at least.....[/list]
Brian Jojade

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 06:57:22 PM »

For a pro tour or install, no question, brand name stuff makes absolute sense.  The price difference, however, is quite dramatic.  For a small one-off show, the cheap china stuff is a heck of a value, and it's impossible to justify the higher price.  You can buy a ton of spare and still be at a lower budget than brand name stuff for pretty close to the same output.

it sucks, but that's reality.
Brian Jojade

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 04:34:07 AM »

That's just poor planning and not the light's fault. If you have a light like that you've already figured out it's parameters. Making a profile takes all of 3-4 minutes, and once you've done it you then have a record.

I disagree - I see it more as an issue with the nonexistent aftermarket support and documentation that often accompanies the direct-from-China fixtures.  There's so much inconsistency with these types of fixtures that even searching Google for a DMX attribute list might or might not be successful.  LED Pars are one thing but once you get into the Sharpy and Pointe knock-offs there's a lot more going on with the DMX than just basic color mixing.  Lack of planning or not as the LD being paid a professional rate I'm the one who will look bad if I can't make the rig work.

For a pro tour or install, no question, brand name stuff makes absolute sense.  The price difference, however, is quite dramatic.  For a small one-off show, the cheap china stuff is a heck of a value, and it's impossible to justify the higher price.

There's certainly no argument about the stark price difference between the two levels of product.  Another option is renting pro fixtures for shorter productions runs or one-off needs.  That way the cost of ownership associated with maintaining the pricier fixtures isn't yours to absorb and you can still have name-brand units without spending significant money.  Of course you don't keep anything at the end of the day, but that's part of the financial equation to sort out. 

I more or less view it as the Chinese stuff will produce light (most of the time) just like a Behringer Eurolive speaker will usually make sound.  Many small local groups on a very limited budget use both of these, and do well enough to make it all work.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with that either!  I certainly didn't start out with owning ETC and Martin equipment in personal inventory, and in many cases it doesn't even make sense to use higher-level gear in such a simple application.  As I say about light consoles as well - the cheap stuff is great until it isn't, and there comes a point where the money needs to be spent on truly professional equipment to meet the demands of the professional jobs in mind.

Steve Garris

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 04:17:24 PM »

That's all great until a guest LD walks in with their own console and needs to patch in all your fixtures and none are in the console.

A situation that never happens in the local bar scene I (used to) work.

Steve Garris

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 04:21:33 PM »

For a pro tour or install, no question, brand name stuff makes absolute sense.  The price difference, however, is quite dramatic.  For a small one-off show, the cheap china stuff is a heck of a value, and it's impossible to justify the higher price.  You can buy a ton of spare and still be at a lower budget than brand name stuff for pretty close to the same output.

it sucks, but that's reality.

This ^

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2020, 05:12:56 PM »

A situation that never happens in the local bar scene I (used to) work.

Of course, if you rarely/never have guest LD's it won't be an issue.

Guest LD's are a regular occurrence at the local venue where I often work.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2020, 08:16:30 PM »

Guest LD's are a regular occurrence at the local venue where I often work.

Same around here, and as an LD who travels with a console it can be a pain to walk into a gig with no idea of what I'll be dealing with - one of the many reasons I try to avoid the bar scenes. 

The fact of the matter is too that rarely does anyone go to a bar looking for a great light show or exquisite sound.  They go for drinks, music, and a good time.  No one will notice (or care) about the differences between Chinese fixtures and top-level ETC ones...just like they won't care if you're using Behringer Eurolive speakers or Mackie SRM450s.  The average bar band around here can be found with such speakers, an A&H Mixwiz, and maybe a few cheap lights...maybe at most $1000 in total invested.  There's definitely nothing wrong with that and it works quite well for them.  Obviously such equipment quickly becomes unacceptable as you move up the pyramid of prestige, but most of these groups never will.

I'd have to say that I think the Martin Mania Series of last decade hit the perfect blend between professional ruggedness/capabilities and cost/size/accessibility.  My fleet of EFX600s and SCX700s still see solid use on small-medium sized jobs.  I know they were quite popular with the club/bar install market and also an excellent choice for the typical gymnasium high school dance.  Even ADJ had a few decent products, but in the race to the bottom and prevalence of Direct-from-China fixtures the rift is increasing between disposable budget lights and pro-grade equipment. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2020, 08:16:30 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.