ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ground loop hum  (Read 5289 times)

Curtis McGill

Re: Ground loop hum
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 07:49:17 AM »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 08:09:54 AM »

What does this do and where would I put it in the chain?

I was going to come back and mention that same piece.

It would replace the Scarlett, USB from the computer, to the Peavey interface, Peavey output to the mixer input.
The outputs are XLR so you would need XLR to 1/4inch TRS cables.

The Peavey has transformer isolated outputs and can be set for mono or stereo operation.

Curtis McGill

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 08:47:31 AM »

I was going to come back and mention that same piece.

It would replace the Scarlett, USB from the computer, to the Peavey interface, Peavey output to the mixer input.
The outputs are XLR so you would need XLR to 1/4inch TRS cables.

The Peavey has transformer isolated outputs and can be set for mono or stereo operation.

Thank you to everyone for helping me and tolerating my questions! I am learning a lot during this season as we prepare our church to best serve the needs of our community.

The Scarlett serves 2 purposes right now. First, it is a feed from the X32 to the computer for our live stream (Bus feed). Second, it is a feed from our computer to an Aux send for audio into the X32 from the computer (music playback and the like). Would a USB device such as the Peavey serve both functions or would it just be a separate and improved way to run audio from the computer?

For our live stream we take audio from the X32 and video from our camera (Vixia HF G50) using an Elgato HD60 S.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2020, 08:52:16 AM »

In that case the Scarlett would still be input for the live stream audio and the Peavey would be the output.

Or you could just keep using the ART DTI for the output isolation.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2020, 09:13:44 AM »

Thank you to everyone for helping me and tolerating my questions! I am learning a lot during this season as we prepare our church to best serve the needs of our community.

The Scarlett serves 2 purposes right now. First, it is a feed from the X32 to the computer for our live stream (Bus feed). Second, it is a feed from our computer to an Aux send for audio into the X32 from the computer (music playback and the like). Would a USB device such as the Peavey serve both functions or would it just be a separate and improved way to run audio from the computer?

For our live stream we take audio from the X32 and video from our camera (Vixia HF G50) using an Elgato HD60 S.

I am sure that I am missing something in your setup but have you tried just using the USB in/out on the X32 into the USB on the computer?

Curtis McGill

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2020, 10:15:11 AM »

I am sure that I am missing something in your setup but have you tried just using the USB in/out on the X32 into the USB on the computer?

Now that you say it... no, to be honest, it didn't cross my mind because the desktop is a new addition to stream the sound from the X32. Before that it was a borrowed laptop. Then I got the wild hare of having ProPresenter ready to run on the desktop "in case." That's when the sound issue was introduced.

For some reason, routing on the X32 isn't intuitive to me yet. Can you point me towards a resource for how to route the X32 to the desktop for audio in? USB in/out might actually be the best idea because my next step is to set up a virtual soundcheck so I can train myself and others on sound.

I need a course that I can learn from online for how to do all of this stuff! Recommendations?

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 11:33:56 AM »

What does this do and where would I put it in the chain?
This would go on the USB of the computer and give you an XLR isolated (no hum) audio out to go to the console.
If you want to go into a 1/4 TRS on the console, you would need XLR to TRS adapter cables.
Clean and simple.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Curtis McGill

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2020, 01:21:00 PM »

This would go on the USB of the computer and give you an XLR isolated (no hum) audio out to go to the console.
If you want to go into a 1/4 TRS on the console, you would need XLR to TRS adapter cables.
Clean and simple.

How do I route the USB in on the X32? Does it already go to a specific channel? Do I pick an open channel? This is where I get lost.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2020, 01:42:13 PM »

How do I route the USB in on the X32? Does it already go to a specific channel? Do I pick an open channel? This is where I get lost.
You are using the USB out on the computer to the USB in on the Peavey box and converting to analogue audio to go out into the X32 via the XLR out.
This replaces what you have and solves the hum.

The USB on the X32 can be used with a thumb drive to record or play music, connect to a computer for multi track recording or load and save setup files, but that's another thing completely.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Curtis McGill

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2020, 06:45:15 AM »

Is there a way to set the USB in/out where it just uses a single Aux or do I automatically use 2 when I route through the Aux remap?

Is there a better way to route it to a channel on the board?

I haven’t messed with it enough to understand or be comfortable with the routing process.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2020, 06:45:15 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.