ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha QL and CL with Nuendo issues Now Sorted  (Read 2352 times)

Guy Morris

Yamaha QL and CL with Nuendo issues Now Sorted
« on: October 15, 2020, 10:42:05 AM »

Hi
I know this has been up before with Mac and experts advising however it did not cover my problem!
Using Mac Book on Yosemite.(updates current)
This is the timeline scenario
Installed DVS/Nuendo /Dante controller/ CL/QL extension file
Connected on Primary direct to MacBook ( no switch in line)
Yamaha sees the MacBook connected and gives me the jump to Dante set up pop up
Selected on mac book preferences is DVS input and output and network on DHCP setting and the wifi off
Started the  DVS it showed 32 x32 10ms en3 IGb and IP address  169.254.121.110
On desk selected Dante set up and saw devices under device mount showing 3 Rio in virtual mode (not connected) and my connected Mac book Pro (how it was titled) but it said unsupported it did not say DVS as suggested by manual
Selected MacBook Pro and then the tab for device list. MacBook Pro was shown as #4 and the virtual indicator was off again showing network connectivity
Under supported device MacBook Pro was not listed only all the desks and othe Dante items ?
With Nuendo Dongle inserted the program was opened and on the desk screen the recorder and nuendo tab selected. Under DVS  no device (MBO ) shows for selection
The IP address on the Nuendo screen shows 169.254.121.110 I also put this into the desk's  nuendo live set up tab labelled Specified IP address to see if that worked. (No)

So not sure if the clue is in unsupported MacBook but it is being seen by the desk?
Nuendo says in settings that it is running on the DVS Asio driver: Dante virtual soundcard format set at multi track mode. So that seems to be ok

Problem

Nuendo Software cannot see the DVS under the Nuendo live set up tab on the desk the device list is blank

Note : as yet I have not bothered to try and select channels in/out on the Dante controller however that does show the QL desk and MacBook Pro de ices on it suggesting desk and DVS software are talking.

Sorry to be so pedantic on timeline description but it may save from going over things already done
and hopefully highlight something I have missed!

Thanks
Wasted a day on this already........oh wait I'm not doing anything!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 12:29:16 PM by Guy Morris »

Brian Ingwell

Re: Yamaha QL and CL with Nuendo issues
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 03:19:18 PM »

Guy,

I was just setting Nuendo Live  on a PC a couple days ago for use with a CL and came across this setup guide from the guys at TC Furlong.  My setup went fine and all is working, but there is mention at the bottom of their guide about privacy issues that can happen on a Mac and how to resolve them.

Not sure if any of that might relate to your problem, but thought I’d share anyway just in case.

https://tcfurlong.com/how-to-live-recording-with-yamaha-cl-ql-and-nuendo/

Cheers,
Brian

Guy Morris

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 05:17:37 AM »

Hi Brian Thanks for the link I saw that yesterday while searching on line the privacy with mic thing was interesting but my Mac does not have that option heading so it didn't help. Update: Despite the Nuendo device list not showing my Macbook in it and my Macbook being labelled unsupported I did eventually get the Nuendo running with the desk colours and channel names ( not sure how had to restart stuff a few times!) I have set up the in/out 1-16 on the desk but seem to be getting problems in the Mac book Dante Controller software with the receive and transmit channel set up.(greyed out on the cross hair channel boxes not turning green) Looking at this today.  There seems to be a lack of continuity in instructions with variables. Nowhere on line can I find what the meaning of 'unsupported Macbook' (shown on the desk dante device list) but this then appears as just MacbookPro elsewhere but not in the DVS section of Nuendo! Does it matter or is something not quite working thopefull today may bring an answer. Should not be this hard!
Did you set the channels in the Dante controller via 'Desk control' or 'Dante controller' tab in Dante set up on the desk? Thanks

Brian Ingwell

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 01:16:02 PM »

Guy,

My CL is set to ‘This Console’ for Dante patch, but I had no problem selecting channels into DVS through Dante Controller.  Most channels are coming directly off the Rio’s, aside from a rough L-R mix, coming out of the CL.

Regards,
Brian

Guy Morris

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 03:01:43 PM »

Guy,

My CL is set to ‘This Console’ for Dante patch, but I had no problem selecting channels into DVS through Dante Controller.  Most channels are coming directly off the Rio’s, aside from a rough L-R mix, coming out of the CL.

Regards,
Brian

Yes I went back to the This console for setting. Today Nuendo just would not respond but somehow yesterday it  recorded and showed desk labels and colours. Everything else appears correct on DVS / Dante Controller and Macbook showing up on the network, checked all the settings and even got the controller to show 16 channel all green but Nuendo would not work no transport control or desk labels almost suggesting it was not seeing the software anymore. Numerous resets on everything including dongle in and out. Seems way to flaky to be reliable for client use so may write it off unless a eureka moment happens!

Also found this eventually on PSW regarding the unsupported  Macbook Pro but surely the DVS should show up as a supported device.  In Nuendo my macbook does not show up under DVS tab as per tutorials ?

'Any non R-native Device (with the exception of Shure RF units that talk Dante) will show up as Unsupported.  That just means the console itself has no control over the device (ie, all done through Dante Controller).  So, if it shows up in Controller, you're all good.'    Hmmmmmm
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 03:16:57 PM by Guy Morris »

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 03:40:28 PM »

Yosemite OS10.10 is now a six year old operating system.  I had Nuendo Live ( not full Nuendo ) working fine with Yosemite and various Mac OSs up thru currently OS10.14 but the versions of the computer OS generally tracked the firmware versions of the CL & QL consoles over the years. Are you in fact using the standard version of Nuendo as that may or may not have the 'hooks' that the Live version has to talk to the console. I have discovered that Nuendo Live doesn't work with Behringer mixers over USB for instance so Nuendo Live may well be purpose built software to work with Yamaha CL/QL.

Hi
I know this has been up before with Mac and experts advising however it did not cover my problem!
Using Mac Book on Yosemite.(updates current)

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 10:31:41 PM »

'Any non R-native Device (with the exception of Shure RF units that talk Dante) will show up as Unsupported.  That just means the console itself has no control over the device (ie, all done through Dante Controller).  So, if it shows up in Controller, you're all good.'    Hmmmmmm
This is correct. "supported" just means that the console can control it (gains, etc...).
The "mounting" process just means you can route to/from the device from the console. A Dante device doesn't need to be mounted in order for it to work with the console, but you need Dante Controller to route it.
We run PLM amplifiers and mount them onto the CL/QL, they are routable but show up as "unsupported". The connections work fine.
If it shows up as routable in Dante controller, you are, indeed, good with the routing.
I had some problems with a windows machine a while back with respect to track names and colors, I can't remember the solution but it's probably unimportant, as your issue is with the Mac/CL communication
There were some issues, if I recall correctly, that had to do with simultaneous dante controller and nuendo live running on the same computer.

Guy Morris

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 12:04:33 PM »

Yosemite OS10.10 is now a six year old operating system.  I had Nuendo Live ( not full Nuendo ) working fine with Yosemite and various Mac OSs up thru currently OS10.14 but the versions of the computer OS generally tracked the firmware versions of the CL & QL consoles over the years. Are you in fact using the standard version of Nuendo as that may or may not have the 'hooks' that the Live version has to talk to the console. I have discovered that Nuendo Live doesn't work with Behringer mixers over USB for instance so Nuendo Live may well be purpose built software to work with Yamaha CL/QL.

Hi Riley.
It's Nuendo Live and has not really changed version since I got it with the Yamaha desk purchase. My original Mac book Pro was 2012 but it had a hard drive failure and when I sorted an SSD the DVS /Dante controller would not re-install of the website as the version was no longer supported. I never really bothered with it but with lockdown of the events industry wanted to re visit with time to spare. I swapped some kit for a later  MBP with OS Yosemite and that is supported Ok.
Have sorted the issue finally but what a box of frogs looking for the culprit!

Guy Morris

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 12:28:25 PM »

This is correct. "supported" just means that the console can control it (gains, etc...).
The "mounting" process just means you can route to/from the device from the console. A Dante device doesn't need to be mounted in order for it to work with the console, but you need Dante Controller to route it.
We run PLM amplifiers and mount them onto the CL/QL, they are routable but show up as "unsupported". The connections work fine.
If it shows up as routable in Dante controller, you are, indeed, good with the routing.
I had some problems with a windows machine a while back with respect to track names and colors, I can't remember the solution but it's probably unimportant, as your issue is with the Mac/CL communication
There were some issues, if I recall correctly, that had to do with simultaneous dante controller and nuendo live running on the same computer.

Thanks Bob an interesting observation but fortunately not that!   Today I eventually found the problem and it was two fold and not listed anywhere.
1. The DVS on the Macbook despite having been all set for DVS use on the input and output tabs of the software had reverted back to internal I/O explaining why Nuendo was not responding.

2. Although the Macbook shows on the Dante device /mount setup page as unsupported I found out as mentioned in the thread that it will still work and changes from virtual to active BUT in the Nuendo DVS set up on the desk under DVS tab no Macbook or Virtual s/c shows up for selection but if you go to the IP address assign tab next to it you can manually set the IP address to match the DVS on the Macbook  (its set as DHCP but is not picking it up)  That did it! 
Lots of annoying not explained things with this set up and Yamaha make it look easy in the Tutorial but its a real faff hopefully this post may help others.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 12:28:25 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 2.556 seconds with 23 queries.