ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording Multitrack Audio for Behringer X32  (Read 8533 times)

William Mize

Recording Multitrack Audio for Behringer X32
« on: October 14, 2020, 04:41:02 PM »

hello all. I hope everyone is well. 

I run sound for my church. I was put in as a backup to give the main guy a break. Well main guy left and went to another church, So I am now the sound guy. I don't have much background in the sound department but we are managing.

We have a Behringer X32 and recently the firmware was updated. During the update, all settings and routing and everything was removed. I did not do the update or I would have backed everything up. So we have had to start completely over. We have most everything setup like it should be.

However, I feel the vocals and instruments need a little fine tuning. I have been watching and reading everything I can but the problem is that it is hard to make adjustments during practice and I don't want to mess with anything during service.

So as I am watching videos about the Behringer X32, I see that they are replaying a previously recorded track but the vocals and instruments come through like it is live. So I am guessing they are recording into a multitrack audio? How exactly is this done? Can I get this setup and record the service and then later come back and play that multitrack audio and make adjustments to each vocal and instrument? I want to play with the EQ to get things sounding better.

Seth Udoll

Re: Recording Multitrack Audio for Behringer X32
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 04:54:29 PM »

hello all. I hope everyone is well. 

I run sound for my church. I was put in as a backup to give the main guy a break. Well main guy left and went to another church, So I am now the sound guy. I don't have much background in the sound department but we are managing.

We have a Behringer X32 and recently the firmware was updated. During the update, all settings and routing and everything was removed. I did not do the update or I would have backed everything up. So we have had to start completely over. We have most everything setup like it should be.

However, I feel the vocals and instruments need a little fine tuning. I have been watching and reading everything I can but the problem is that it is hard to make adjustments during practice and I don't want to mess with anything during service.

So as I am watching videos about the Behringer X32, I see that they are replaying a previously recorded track but the vocals and instruments come through like it is live. So I am guessing they are recording into a multitrack audio? How exactly is this done? Can I get this setup and record the service and then later come back and play that multitrack audio and make adjustments to each vocal and instrument? I want to play with the EQ to get things sounding better.

Hi William,

Search X32 Virtual Soundcheck on YouTube.

There's a couple different ways to do exactly what you're talking about.  My favorite way is to install an XLive expansion card which allows multi track recording and playback to/from an SD card right on the X32, without the need of a PC.  Last I looked, the expansion card was available new for about $150.

The other way is to put a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) on a PC/Mac and use the USB connection to record the tracks to the computer.  The tracks can also be played back through the X32.  For a DAW, I personally use Reaper which has a rather generous "Free Trial Period".  But, there are many out there to choose from.  Just search DAW or Digital Audio Workstation.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 04:57:02 PM by Seth Udoll »

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 05:32:24 PM »

Where are you located? Maybe you can get someone to come over and help you get it straighten out.

William Mize

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 10:26:09 AM »

Awesome. Thank you so much.
Watched some videos on youtube about the x32 virtual soundcheck. One talked about using Tracks Live which is free. So I am gonna download that and probably go ahead and download Reaper. Will play around with both.
Seems pretty straight forward though.

We are in Alabama.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 11:19:37 AM »

Keep in mind that with any "Virtual Soundcheck" you do not have any open mics in the room interacting with the sound system and depending on your band set up you do not have any volume coming off the stage.

If you need to do a complete from scratch new set up Kevin's
suggestion is a good one. You just would need to find the right person to bring in.
Someone who just focuses on making the kick drum loud is not going to be the right
person.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:22:41 AM by Mike Caldwell »

William Mize

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 11:08:57 AM »

We have an audio company that came out and did a from scratch setup. Well actually they are the ones that wiped the board in the first place. Most everything is set back up the way it should be and is working great. I just want to be able to do some minor adjustments here and there. I can always call the audio company back out if I have major issues.

So I downloaded Tracks Live on my laptop the other day. Played around with it for a while just to get familiar with the program. So I went in Sunday morning and set it all up. I have to say it is a pretty easy and straight forward setup. Well once I remembered I had to download the drivers for the USB card on my laptop. Haha. We only use 5 inputs for instruments and usually only 1 for vocals unless we are doing the choir and then we use 5 for vocals. So band wise there is only 10 inputs being used out of the 32 available. So during our first set of songs which is usually 3 songs at the beginning, I only managed to get the 2 instruments recorded and no vocal. Because since we are only using 10 inputs I tried to move those 10 inputs to the top in Tracks Live so I could see them all. Well that doesn't work. Oops. So I saved that and started a new one for the preacher. And then saved that and started a new one for our 2 songs and the end of service. I got those all recorded correctly. So I am planning on going back up tomorrow and playing around with it all again.

So question, I know I can play with the EQ when playing back through the X32. But what about volume and gain?

Seth Udoll

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 01:39:04 PM »

...So question, I know I can play with the EQ when playing back through the X32. But what about volume and gain?
Glad you got that going.  When using USB for playback, there isn't a need for preamp gain.  However, you can apply digital trim which essentially creates the same result.

Other than that little difference, it's essentially a live performance.  You can fiddle with everything.  Just make sure you always have a saved known good starting point you can load when you're done fiddling /learning.

Watch YouTube vids on all the different functions and try them out yourself.  You'll get the meat and potato's of everything pretty quickly and having a multi track recording will help out a lot too.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 06:25:43 PM »

Looks like you are on your way to getting it straightened out, but I wanted to throw this out there.

Reaper is a fully featured DAW that you can download and use for free and it is not crippled in any way at all. If you decide you want to buy it, it's only 60 bucks.

I abandoned Protools to go with Reaper here. I feel it's a better use of the Church's funds and also I spend no time at all fighting it just to get it to work properly and not crash.

I will warn you up front, Reaper is a lot like the Linux OS. It will do anything you want in multiple different ways, but you have to spend the time to set it up and get it how you like it. After that it's gravy, and it never crashes on me.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

William Mize

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 08:29:19 AM »

Went back up to the church on Tuesday and got everything set up. I have had some minor issues with Tracks Live but overall it is pretty straight forward and easy to use. One time I loaded a recording and the guitar was coming through on the choir mic channel. That was really odd. Close the program, opened it again, and it was working fine. Weird.
I managed to play around with several things even though I didn't get the major part of our worship service recorded. We will find out Sunday morning how the changes go. And I will make sure to get it recorded correctly this time.

I have briefly looked at Reaper. Seems like there is a big learning curve. I am planning on looking into it in the future but for now Tracks Live does what I need it to.

Thank you everyone for the help and tips.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 08:29:19 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.