ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Neo drivers for LAB Sub?  (Read 5668 times)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Neo drivers for LAB Sub?
« on: October 13, 2020, 04:06:19 PM »

After looking at the LAB sub plans again, and the drivers, I have one question. 

The LAB 12 drivers have ferrite magnets, and were specified specifically for the LAB sub.  Are there any newer drivers, with Neo magnets, that have 'close enough' T/S parameters overall but higher BL and power handling - to provide higher performance overall? 

What started this - the first time I heard nearly all the subwoofers side by side from another manufacturer, I noticed that some models sounded less sloppy than others, and they fit neatly into two groups of subs.  It happened that the more sloppy models happened to all have ferrite magnets, and the better sounding ones all had neo magnets. 

Or is the only logical upgrade from the LAB sub something like the DBH218?
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Neo drivers for LAB Sub?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 05:15:51 PM »

I'm sure Ivan will be along shortly to set you straight, but I doubt that any Neo pro driver will be anywhere close to the Lab12.

The Lab12 has way more in common with car stereo boom-boom drivers than any other pro driver on the market. It was specifically created and built just for that horn.

There may be some car audio neo subs that could get close, but you'll have to do your own T-S measurements. I wouldn't rust published data from the car stereo crowd.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 04:21:37 AM »

There may be some car audio neo subs that could get close, but you'll have to do your own T-S measurements. I wouldn't rust published data from the car stereo crowd.

Especially when you see some of their claims for output power, then work out what current that would need to be on a 12v supply!

Steve.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 05:48:53 AM »

I always wanted to do something the other way around, stick a Lab12 in a existing factory design.
EAW LA400 comes to mind. I'm sure it's a "Really Bad Idea" and I don't have either sub or driver available to experiment with.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 01:45:46 PM »

I'm sure Ivan will be along shortly to set you straight, but I doubt that any Neo pro driver will be anywhere close to the Lab12.

The Lab12 has way more in common with car stereo boom-boom drivers than any other pro driver on the market. It was specifically created and built just for that horn.

It would not be the first time TD used a a car stereo woof.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 02:56:13 PM »

It would not be the first time TD used a a car stereo woof.
And not the last-----------

But they have to be specific woofers for a very specific usage.

The drivers and cabinets are designed to be used together.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 02:59:47 PM »

There may be some neo high powered drivers that would work fine, or possibly better.  Sometimes the T-S parameters can "cancel each other out".  Meaning that the overall result will be fine, even if some of the parameters are very different.

Of course this takes a proper model and time to find such drivers.

But, no, I don't have any suggestions.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 03:25:24 PM »

And not the last-----------

But they have to be specific woofers for a very specific usage.

The drivers and cabinets are designed to be used together.

I can name 2 :-)
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 05:05:26 PM »

I can name 2 :-)

"One" and "Two".  /nudge, wink
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 08:05:25 PM »

After looking at the LAB sub plans again, and the drivers, I have one question. 

The LAB 12 drivers have ferrite magnets, and were specified specifically for the LAB sub.  Are there any newer drivers, with Neo magnets, that have 'close enough' T/S parameters overall but higher BL and power handling - to provide higher performance overall?   

Or is the only logical upgrade from the LAB sub something like the DBH218?
The practice of bolting more slabs of the same old magnet together can increase excursion by a lot, but Bl is still weak compared to what can be done with neodymium. Back when Eminence put the LAB 12 together, they weren't using neo. The weaker BL gives that "slump" in response between Fc and the upper end.

Using what looks like a pair of (neo)BC 18SW115 in the DBH218 gives more excursion, more Bl, almost double the cone area, as well as way better cooling in the same S-4 size bin as the LAB horn. The split path still allows about the same path length/Fc as the LABhorn.  A double "W" bin :^).

With neo providing enough magnetic force to push even 21" drivers to far more excursion than the old Lab 12, there are dozens of models from various companies to choose from that can provide far higher performance overall than the LAB 12.

That said, the M-force concept of using a fixed coil and lightweight moving magnet is really attractive when making the "step up" with larger drivers, as long as we are spending other people's money in a time when few in the business are making much ;^).

Art
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 08:14:11 PM by Art Welter »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 08:05:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.