Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

Neo drivers for LAB Sub?

(1/4) > >>

Caleb Dueck:
After looking at the LAB sub plans again, and the drivers, I have one question. 

The LAB 12 drivers have ferrite magnets, and were specified specifically for the LAB sub.  Are there any newer drivers, with Neo magnets, that have 'close enough' T/S parameters overall but higher BL and power handling - to provide higher performance overall? 

What started this - the first time I heard nearly all the subwoofers side by side from another manufacturer, I noticed that some models sounded less sloppy than others, and they fit neatly into two groups of subs.  It happened that the more sloppy models happened to all have ferrite magnets, and the better sounding ones all had neo magnets. 

Or is the only logical upgrade from the LAB sub something like the DBH218?

Tim Weaver:
I'm sure Ivan will be along shortly to set you straight, but I doubt that any Neo pro driver will be anywhere close to the Lab12.

The Lab12 has way more in common with car stereo boom-boom drivers than any other pro driver on the market. It was specifically created and built just for that horn.

There may be some car audio neo subs that could get close, but you'll have to do your own T-S measurements. I wouldn't rust published data from the car stereo crowd.

Steve M Smith:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on October 13, 2020, 05:15:51 PM ---There may be some car audio neo subs that could get close, but you'll have to do your own T-S measurements. I wouldn't rust published data from the car stereo crowd.

--- End quote ---

Especially when you see some of their claims for output power, then work out what current that would need to be on a 12v supply!

Steve.

Helge A Bentsen:
I always wanted to do something the other way around, stick a Lab12 in a existing factory design.
EAW LA400 comes to mind. I'm sure it's a "Really Bad Idea" and I don't have either sub or driver available to experiment with.

Doug Fowler:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on October 13, 2020, 05:15:51 PM ---I'm sure Ivan will be along shortly to set you straight, but I doubt that any Neo pro driver will be anywhere close to the Lab12.

The Lab12 has way more in common with car stereo boom-boom drivers than any other pro driver on the market. It was specifically created and built just for that horn.

There may be some car audio neo subs that could get close, but you'll have to do your own T-S measurements. I wouldn't rust published data from the car stereo crowd.

--- End quote ---

It would not be the first time TD used a a car stereo woof.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version